GBS CFW webapp not responding when plugging input signal

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Cavia

GBS CFW webapp not responding when plugging input signal

Post by Cavia »

Hello,

not sure if this problem was already encountered/solved but this is what's happening.

When the input signal (via VGA) is disconnected from the GBS, the webapp is perfectly accessible and I can interact with the custom firmware.
As soon as I connect an input signal to the VGA, the webapp is not reachable anymore (effectively the device does not get any IP from the DHCP).

I've tried to move away the D1 Mini and to mod the antenna for additional gain (see picture), but it does not solve the problem.
https://pasteboard.co/JNIptsJ.png

Any hints?
Thanks.
Kez

Re: GBS CFW webapp not responding when plugging input signal

Post by Kez »

I think you are on the right track.. the video signal coming in produces interference and makes the WiFi antenna perform worse. I will say that I looked into modding the antenna previously and you should be aware that the length of the antenna is a function of the wavelength it picks up, so if you get the length wrong you will actually just make it worse. I have replaced the metal heatsink with a ceramic one, as I read somewhere that helps.. I generally don't have signal problems but my GBS is only a few feet from my router.
Cavia

Post by Cavia »

Yes, I read about that signal interference.

It's weird I'm getting interference from that distance (D1 and Video chipset) and with the antenna mod (which I cut until I got the best dB signal according to the router which is 2 meters from the GBS anyway).
Ch1pst3r

Post by Ch1pst3r »

Hello!

I had the exact same issue and it was fixed by making sure the GBS control is connected to a 2.4 ghz network and your wifi is set to channel 6. I believe the fix was mentioned on here. If I remember correctly it only seemed to happen when the GBS control is set to output 1080p.
Cavia

Post by Cavia »

Recently, Voultar posted an interesting tutorial (that contains several mistakes addressed in the comments) on how to assemble a GBS8200 board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AVXhiTlmgo

I can confirm that his suggestion of installing the ESP8266 microcontroller vertically (with the antenna pointing outside the GBS8200) completely fixes any interference caused by the WiFi channel!