Need help/advice fixing jamma harness on my Capcom Impress

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikehaggar

Need help/advice fixing jamma harness on my Capcom Impress

Post by mikehaggar »

Hi all,

I own a Capcom Impress candy cab and have enjoyed using it for many many years. It has become apparent in the last several months that there is something wrong with the jamma harness. Getting a stable picture with no color loss requires me to move/bend the wires that lead to the harness to and fro, and sometimes I have to fidget with it for 15 minutes until I get a connection that works okay, so obviously this is not really a solution. I think that for a permanent fix, the wires need to be reconnected to the harness, or perhaps i need to rewire and get a brand new jamma harness.

Can anybody give me advice as to the best way to proceed here? What does fixing this entail? Am I going to have to replace every single wire leading to the harness, or just reconnect the edges? Does this require soldering?

Note: I am not technically savvy. Any advice would help.

Here are picture links of the harness in question. The wires going into it are what I'm talking about.

far
close
thchardcore

Re: Need help/advice fixing jamma harness on my Capcom Impre

Post by thchardcore »

I can help you, but I am too tired to write up everything now.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
nem

Post by nem »

No, you don't necessarily have to replace the whole harness or the connector. Jamma pinout is here:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JAMMA#Ja ... tor_pinout

The pins you will want to inspect are 12 (both sides), 13 (again, both sides) and 14 (parts side). The pins are numbered on the edge connector.

I would start with video sync, solder side pin 13, as a poor connection on that will result in a garbled picture. Remove the heatshrink and see if the wire is properly soldered to the pin. If it isn't, resolder it. If it's fine, look at the pin from the connector end. Does the pin look like the rest or is it pushed in? If it's pushed in, you can try to pull it outwards to the center of the connector with a small hook. If there's nothing wrong with either the soldered connection or the actual pin, then do the same steps for video ground. If you're missing colors, check the appropriate color pins.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Thank you both! thchardcore spoke with me in length about this and after describing the issue and symptoms, we came to the same conclusion. I'm going to check those wires, even just wiggling them causes the issues so I'm going to attempt the fix on my own. I'm guessing it's the sync, and maybe one or two of the other color wires need to be resoldered. (the pins that the PCB plugs into look fine, so i think the issue is all with the wire end)