Hori RAP Pro V..feels “loose”

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Super Joe

Hori RAP Pro V..feels “loose”

Post by Super Joe »

Hi guys, I’m using the aforementioned pad for the plethora of coin ops for the Switch, quick question, is there a way to tighten the stick ? It feels “loose” and not crunchy enough, if this makes sense ?!
thebigcheese

Re: Hori RAP Pro V..feels “loose”

Post by thebigcheese »

You can replace it with a different stick. Otherwise, probably not much you can do with the stick that's already in there.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I have the RAP 4 Kai for PS4, it's essentially the same stick. I found the stock Hayabusa lever a little too loose for my taste. I replaced the stock tension sprint with a 2lb one, added an octogate and I much prefer it. You can get heavier springs from Arcade Shock and plenty of other places that sell arcade parts. I can't remember the tension of the stock spring but I would upgrade for sure.
Last edited by Larrs888 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

Cheers for the info buddy.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I just modded three of my fightsticks with new joysticks and buttons so I just researched all this recently which was a bear.

Assuming yours has the same mounting points as mine (I have a variety of Xbox 360/PS3 Hori and Mad Catz fight sticks - pretty standard fare), you can easily drop in a Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-56-01-AS joystick in there. It's super easy - it's literally 4x screws and a standard connector (again, just research what type yours takes - seems to be pretty standardized for a long time now though). For the buttons, I used standard 30mm Sanwa OBSF buttons in everything, and they all use standard quick-disconnects so no soldering or anything needed.

The two joysticks I mentioned above can also use different gates. Gates (trying to think how to explain this...) are on the back end of the stick inside the fightsticks case, and they're what the end of the stick's shaft hits as it rotates. They're commonly square (seems to be what many come with) so as you rotate the stick 360º you'll feel the four corners of the square gate. Gates are also available as 8-way Octagonal, and circular. Since I bought these for fighting games, and I'm still learning how to play, and moves can be eight ways in most fighting games, I bought and installed (super easy, clicks right in on the Sanwa without tools, and the Seimitsu might be a couple screws) an 8-way Octagonal gate so I can better tell when I'm hitting the bottom right diagonal or upper left (whatever). You'll get a thousand answers which is better for what type of games, but it simply comes down to personal preference.

There's TONS of mods for these too. Stiffer springs, extended shafts, short-throw mods (like a larger bushing on the end of the shaft so you have to move it less-far to actuate a certain direction), LED light-up ball heads, all sorts of crazy stuff.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

Cheers for the info buddy. I did just that ! Watched a YouTube video, ordered a Sanwa stick, and hey presto.
Is there a big difference between the existing buttons and the Sanwa type ?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Super Joe wrote:Cheers for the info buddy. I did just that ! Watched a YouTube video, ordered a Sanwa stick, and hey presto.
Is there a big difference between the existing buttons and the Sanwa type ?
Yeah, it's pretty stupid easy to switch in as long as the harness/connections is the same.

Honestly, I notice no difference anywhere. I just wanted to try out different parts (mostly joysticks) and see if I could do some moves better with a different stick type than another (which I still can't do the SFII Shoryuken 100% of the time on anything...). I think this is just because I suck though lol.

I'm hoping as I learn more I'll be able to tell the differences and customize my stick to my play style, but that'll probably never happen. What I DID notice is that my older fightsticks were from 2006 to 2007 I think and the new joysticks are definitely a bit more accurate since the old were probably worn quite a bit.