XRGB Mini Framemeister Lost Audio

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
broken harbour

XRGB Mini Framemeister Lost Audio

Post by broken harbour »

Hey Friends, got a weird XRGB Audio Issue that i don't understand.

I bought a new 4K Samsung Q70 TV and Onkyo TX-RZ820 Receiver (Both HDMI 2.0) last year, and the Framemeister worked just fine with both. zero issues with it, In fact, I haven't had a single issue with the Framemeister the entire 8-ish years i've owned it. I recently finished a house reno, and I replaced my receiver with a new Denon X3700h so I could upgrade to atmos, this new receiver has HDMI 2.1.

All of a sudden, I can't get audio. the FM sends picture just fine. I suspect its some kind of HDMI 1.3 to HDMI 2.1 compatibility issue, and I did some googling.... Some people have had success turning off Deep Color output from the FM, which I did, but no audio still. Some Samsung owners have reported they have to turn HDR off on their TV's to get audio from older HDMI 1.3 devices, but in my case, I'm running into a receiver first, and there's no option on my TV to toggle HDR.

If I plug in the HDMI out from the FM into my PC monitor (Acer Predator X34)... I get audio.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Agent BSoD

Re: XRGB Mini Framemeister Lost Audio

Post by Agent BSoD »

There was a discussion about a similar audio problem here with certain Avermedia capture cards. I recommend reading over this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67683

Basically, it's been speculated that it's an EDID problem. Seems the Framemeister can be a bit finicky with certain equipment. If you don't mind spending a few dollars, you could try getting the little HDMI audio splitter box I linked in that thread. Not sure if it will 100% work for you though but it might help. Fudoh also mentioned something about an EDID device that may work but I have no experience with such a device.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Thanks, in the thread, it sounds like an HDMI audio breakout box worked, he didn't even have to re-route via RCA cables to an analogue audio input, the box just solved his EDID problem. I might have to try that.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

the audio extraction boxes usually provide their own edid anyway. Most have a switch to toggle between stereo and 5ch and technically this is done by switching between two edid banks that are provided depending on the switch's position.

Since you a receiver, even actually using audio an extractor box is no problem, since you can simply route it into the receiver and the receiver will the recombine audio and video if required (or pass audio to the speakers directly - depending on your setup).
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

yes i'm running HDMI from the FM to an HDMI 2.0 input on the receiver, receiver goes to power amp and then speakers. I would prefer to just have an extractor box inline to the HDMI 2.0 input and nothing else to keep it clean. I guess I just don't understand why the receiver can't recombine audio/video as it is and it needs a box inline to get it done. I'm in over my head here tho.

If its an EDID conflict, is there a setting I can adjust on the FM to try before I add an extractor box? I saw some EDID settings in the menu's but didn't know what they did.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I guess I just don't understand why the receiver can't recombine audio/video as it is and it needs a box inline to get it done.
cause the FM doesn't output any audio at the moment - probably due to an edid conflict.
I saw some EDID settings in the menu's but didn't know what they did.
IIRC these are setting to control the reported edid on the FM's hdmi inputs, so this doesn't help you.
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

Yeah in my experience with my Avermedia card, the EDID options on the Framemeister don't help at all, nor does any other setting.
Fudoh wrote: IIRC these are setting to control the reported edid on the FM's hdmi inputs, so this doesn't help you.
I didn't even realize that's what they were for. Makes sense though.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Fudoh wrote:
cause the FM doesn't output any audio at the moment - probably due to an edid conflict.
Oooohhhhh, ok, I just assumed the issue was the audio was being sent to the HDMI 2.0 input and the receiver didn't know what to do with it. When I hit the 'info' button on the Denon remote, it displays the signal and audio info being fed into the input, in this case it says "1080p60" under video and "unknown" under audio. If no audio was being output by the FM I just assumed it would say "none" or something similar.

I will try the audio breakout box and go from there.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

the audio breakout box fixed my audio issue! Like the other guy, i didn't even need to break the audio out, just put the box inline to my receiver.
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

Awesome! Good to know it worked. Looks like this could be a good recommendation if anyone else has this issue in the future.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Probably a good idea to have this in the FM wiki or stickied, as more and more people upgrade their equipment, I think it'll be more common, it seems to be far more common on HDMI 2.0 receivers and TV's.
vasteel_original

Post by vasteel_original »

Wow, I bought the exact same receiver (Denon 3700H) and have the exact same problem. My old Denon 1912 had no issues at all with the FM. Thanks to this thread I at least have a rough idea what the problem is. While trouble shooting this I did find another workaround that worked for me. Connect the FM to your TV instead of your receiver and let the TV eARC the audio back to your receiver. This way you can avoid buying the breakout box to achieve the same goal. Of course this depends on how you have your system set up and personal preferences. Also, it might depend on your TV too. I am using a 2020 model Sony Bravia 75X900h fwiw.