N64Digital

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: N64Digital

Post by nmalinoski »

Did preorders actually go live, or are they just sell out that quickly?
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

nmalinoski wrote:Did preorders actually go live, or are they just sell out that quickly?
The site crashed at 10:00 and was unresponsive until after 10:20. I got my order in at 10:28, and then they announced it was sold out by 10:52.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I wish there had been a comprehensive video showcasing all the menu settings in action, or a full review by early testers like with the RT5X. That makes pre-ordering stuff like this an easier, more informed decision.

At least this launch is likely to provide useful lessons to PixelFx ahead of the launch of their next product, the Morph, which will definitely have a lot more demand than this one.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

fernan1234 wrote:I wish there had been a comprehensive video showcasing all the menu settings in action, or a full review by early testers like with the RT5X. That makes pre-ordering stuff like this an easier, more informed decision.

At least this launch is likely to provide useful lessons to PixelFx ahead of the launch of their next product, the Morph, which will definitely have a lot more demand than this one.
At least we got the install video, but I agree. I also plan to buy the Morph, so they really should figure it out by then. I think we’ll have had several waves of 5X orders by then, so hopefully that will taper off demand a bit.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

They said the reason they didn’t publish much information on it was to somewhat curtail demand as they anticipated it would be a feeding frenzy.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bahamutfan64 wrote:They said the reason they didn’t publish much information on it was to somewhat curtail demand as they anticipated it would be a feeding frenzy.
I don't think the logic is very sound there on more than one front to be honest. Anyway, those of us who held out for now will hopefully have a chance to get more info ahead of the next batches.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

fernan1234 wrote:
bahamutfan64 wrote:They said the reason they didn’t publish much information on it was to somewhat curtail demand as they anticipated it would be a feeding frenzy.
I don't think the logic is very sound there on more than one front to be honest. Anyway, those of us who held out for now will hopefully have a chance to get more info ahead of the next batches.
Yeah, this kind of thing is leading to a "buy first, ask questions later" behavior for electronics for me, since everything has a fantastic resale value these days if I'm not happy with it.

I did manage to snag an N64Digital, and I'm sure I'll be happy with it though. I already know what to expect, having the DCDigital, PS1Digital, etc. It's just going to be that, but more mature and polished I imagine.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yeah it's hard to lose gambling on these things nowadays. If I didn't have an N64Advanced board already I would have jumped on it no questions asked, but without proper reviews and comparisons I can't even be sure if this is of any advantage, even if it is on paper.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

fernan1234 wrote:Yeah it's hard to lose gambling on these things nowadays. If I didn't have an N64Advanced board already I would have jumped on it no questions asked, but without proper reviews and comparisons I can't even be sure if this is of any advantage, even if it is on paper.
I bought completely on their track record with the GC, Wii, and DC digital solutions.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

I think these have begun shipping? I was charged several days ago and have a USPS notice of a package inbound from Philly, PA.
caivs

Post by caivs »

anexanhume wrote:I think these have begun shipping? I was charged several days ago and have a USPS notice of a package inbound from Philly, PA.
Did your status change to shipped on your PixelFX account? Anyone have their shipped yet?
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

caivs wrote:
anexanhume wrote:I think these have begun shipping? I was charged several days ago and have a USPS notice of a package inbound from Philly, PA.
Did your status change to shipped on your PixelFX account? Anyone have their shipped yet?
No it turned out to be something else. They said they’d begin shipping this week. I did see the charge clear last week, though.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

Got my shipping notice today!
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

I'm excited to see who will attain N64 HDMI supremacy.
mathieulh

Post by mathieulh »

I received and installed mine last Friday, it works great, I did the cut mod with the optional clock mod. The only thing that it lacks right now in my opinion are : - wifi reset combo
- video out reset combo - Motion Adaptive deinterlace - A web interface (it is currently not yet implemented) - A proper user manual (only the installation instructions are currently available). This aside this mod works great and the video output quality is outstanding, deblur is very impressive as well.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

I have obtained HDMI supremacy. Muahaha!

UPS dropped off the kit today and I installed it this morning.

So far, it's what is expected from BlackDog/PixelFX! Great kit.

They're still ironing out some launch firmware bugs though. I had a little detour with the experimental testing branch firmware bricking my N64, but the with "New unbrickable rescue system" listed in the features Dan and I got it going again in less than a minute.
(Holding down the rescue button on the board, which can be pressed through the air vent, will put the board in a rescue AP mode where firmware can be manually pushed to it via WiFi)

Deblur is really crispy looking. I can't compare the output of this to the UltraHDMI kit, but let's be real, we all know this is the kit everyone wants. Unless someone else comes along, Dan and Company own the throne in this realm.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

What are the main features of UltraHDMI that make you say its superior to N64Digital?
command-tab

Post by command-tab »

Just a heads up:
There was a major mistake in the install guide for CPU-08 & CPU-09 models. The wrong pin was shown that needed to be lifted for the clock mod. Pin3 is the correct pin that needs to be lifted. Please update your install before updating the firmware.
https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/14 ... 7326624769
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Josh128 wrote:What are the main features of UltraHDMI that make you say its superior to N64Digital?
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I can't compare the output of this (N64Digital) to the UltraHDMI kit (because I don't own one), but let's be real, we all know this (N64Digital) is the kit everyone wants.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Yeah, I read that wrong, lol.
caivs

Post by caivs »

darcagn wrote:I have obtained HDMI supremacy. Muahaha!

UPS dropped off the kit today and I installed it this morning.

So far, it's what is expected from BlackDog/PixelFX! Great kit.

They're still ironing out some launch firmware bugs though. I had a little detour with the experimental testing branch firmware bricking my N64, but the with "New unbrickable rescue system" listed in the features Dan and I got it going again in less than a minute.
(Holding down the rescue button on the board, which can be pressed through the air vent, will put the board in a rescue AP mode where firmware can be manually pushed to it via WiFi)

Deblur is really crispy looking. I can't compare the output of this to the UltraHDMI kit, but let's be real, we all know this is the kit everyone wants. Unless someone else comes along, Dan and Company own the throne in this realm.

Do you have the grey dots on the left side issue? They posted about it on twitter, but I'm not sure if it affects every unit or only certain ones. Anyone else who has an installed kit feel free to chime in. Mine isn't installed yet but I'm just wondering if I should expect it, before the update that should fix it hopefully.
milo22

Post by milo22 »

That issue has been fixed as of ver 121. The only issue I notice now is clipping with audio.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

caivs wrote:Do you have the grey dots on the left side issue? They posted about it on twitter, but I'm not sure if it affects every unit or only certain ones. Anyone else who has an installed kit feel free to chime in. Mine isn't installed yet but I'm just wondering if I should expect it, before the update that should fix it hopefully.
0.120.0 is the shipping firmware.
0.121.0 adds the ability to select Stable and Testing firmwares. This is the current Stable version, and this version still has the vertical dots bug on the lefthand side. It also has a 2-4 second delay at boot time as the N64Digital resets the console to get timings right.
If you select Testing firmware branch, you can upgrade to 0.123.0, which fixes the vertical dots bug. This version boots quickly as they eliminated the boot-time reset, but it doesn't work correctly and a lot of cartridges stop showing any video on this version. Everdrive64 works though so if you're using that you can play any game fine.

If you don't have an Everdrive64 you should probably stick to 0.121.0 for now.

However I wouldn't be surprised if this information is out of date by the time you read it. PixelFX are hard at work on the firmware.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Josh128 wrote:What are the main features of UltraHDMI that make you say its superior to N64Digital?
Sounds like the main advantage is not needing to bend pins during the install.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

nmalinoski wrote:
Sounds like the main advantage is not needing to bend pins during the install.
You don't need to bend pins. This is only necessary for an optional clock control feature, which the UltraHDMI doesn't offer anyway.
caivs

Post by caivs »

Thanks for the info! Also, any of you have a horipad mini n64 controller? Heard that it doesn't work with N64Digi in the UltraHDMI group buy thread. Hopefully everything gets ironed out in future firmware updates.

edit: Just read that YPbPr analog out isn't supported yet, can anyone confirm? That is a major let down, as the dual HDMI and YPbPr output was a major selling point to me and was planning on using.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

caivs wrote:Thanks for the info! Also, any of you have a horipad mini n64 controller? Heard that it doesn't work with N64Digi in the UltraHDMI group buy thread. Hopefully everything gets ironed out in future firmware updates.

edit: Just read that YPbPr analog out isn't supported yet, can anyone confirm? That is a major let down, as the dual HDMI and YPbPr output was a major selling point to me and was planning on using.

The N64Digital currently has issues with the Horipad and Brawler64 controllers. Woozle of PixelFX currently has the trouble controllers on order so they can debug and fix the firmware.

Note that this means you can't pull up the N64Digital menu with those controllers. You can still play with them, so you can set up your settings with one controller and swap to the Horipad. Also, the N64Digital supports HDMI CEC so you can use your regular television remote to change the N64Digital settings if your display supports that.

There is a menu option to switch from RGB to YPbPr, but it won't let you switch it over yet. It's listed on their roadmap as being planned for launch time, so I would expect it to be fixed to function in a firmware update very soon. Dual output HDMI + RGB works right now, I tried it myself.

It feels like this launch was rushed -- it uses a different FPGA than the PS1Digital (which they're having trouble sourcing to create another batch) and I think they had to rewrite the firmware last minute.

However, their firmware support on their previous devices has been great, so I don't expect it to be too long before all of the 1.0 features are stable.
caivs

Post by caivs »

Thanks again for clearing that up. I was wondering if they just meant that Hori can't control the digi or what cuz that would seem weird if it wouldn't work at all with the console anymore.
Alborix

Post by Alborix »

Can the analog RGB out be line doubled to go into a VGA monitor? Or is that only doable through hdmi+DAC. Hardly a problem if the latter, just curious. I only recently found out that crt computer monitors actually take RGBs as long as it's 31khz, it doesn't have to be RGBHV.
strayan

Post by strayan »