N64Digital

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RIP-Felix

Re: N64Digital

Post by RIP-Felix »

darcagn wrote:...The N64Digital currently has issues with the Horipad and Brawler64 controllers. Woozle of PixelFX currently has the trouble controllers on order so they can debug and fix the firmware.

Note that this means you can't pull up the N64Digital menu with those controllers.
I have wireless 2.4GHz Brawler64 controller and have no problem accessing the menu. Love these controllers BTW! So either this issue only affects wired Brawler64 or they fixed the FW already. IDK about the Horipad. I'm running the latest FW on the test channel BTW (well, latest as of last weekend).

On a completely different note, has anyone noticed the N64D runs hotter than the UltraHDMI (HW1, that is)? I have 3 of them and they are all the same. I'm sure it's designed to handle the heat, but the difference was a bit disconcerting. I'm considering adding thermal pads to contact the BTM RF shield to spread that heat out (I use the Cut Mod, so I can keep the BTM RF shield on the MB - where it belongs!). And I was thinking of adding a small RPi heat sink to the Sil9022ACNU HDMI transmitter. Mainly for the 20MHz overclock needed to run 1920x1440p60 custom modeline (184.75MHz Pixel Clock in CVT-RB).
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

RIP-Felix wrote:I have wireless 2.4GHz Brawler64 controller and have no problem accessing the menu. Love these controllers BTW! So either this issue only affects wired Brawler64 or they fixed the FW already. IDK about the Horipad. I'm running the latest FW on the test channel BTW (well, latest as of last weekend).
Pretty sure this was fixed in firmware 0.150.1:
-Increased allowed controller response idle time to 64us
Did_You_Rike_It

Post by Did_You_Rike_It »

Hey everyone! :)

Sorry if I may be bringing this old topic back, but I kind off missed the boat when they became available and it seems I can't find one anywhere.

Does anyone know if these can still be purchased?

Hope all you've had a Merry Christmas too! :D
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Did_You_Rike_It wrote:Hey everyone! :)

Sorry if I may be bringing this old topic back, but I kind off missed the boat when they became available and it seems I can't find one anywhere.

Does anyone know if these can still be purchased?

Hope all you've had a Merry Christmas too! :D
They'll be for sale on the official site again once the chip shortages get better (Whenever that is). Right now, your only option would be to get a kit on Ebay at a markup or buy an already modded console.
Did_You_Rike_It

Right I see, so there's no indication when more will be in stock?

Also, do they only sell in singles or can be bought as a batch perhaps? :idea:
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I believe it was originally limited to 1-2 per customer so more people could get them. If there wasn't a chip shortage, I'm sure getting multiples wouldn't have been a problem. You can follow PixelFX on Twitter for updates. I believe the last thing I saw was them saying all they could do was play the waiting game and weren't sure on an ETA. Everyone is at the mercy of chip manufacturers and even they aren't giving solid time estimates.
Did_You_Rike_It

Thanks for letting me know!

It would be good if this topic was kept updated and with more information on the product itself! :)
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz »

De blur is overrated imo. I was so hyped years and years ago with the my life in gaming about this. I dreamt of this feature for years. I barely got my N64Digital a while ago cause I’m not a connected youtuber so I missed out on ultra for years but now I finally got my hands on it and the de blur I spent countless days dreaming out.

And it sucks. Not the de blur it self per say but the N64 I’ve come to conclude is not a system that shows well the sharper it gets. I’ve done the AA hack and deblur and every combination possible and it’s just Ugly. My life in gaming made it seem like it was mind blowing and it’s cool but they failed to really show how bad the n64 just looks like that.

Ironically I rock deblur off, scan lines and interpolation to soft/softer for a legit CRT look. Now I’m not a crt or nothing kinda guy but the blurry image makes the N64 look normal. At least how Nintendo intended it to look since it’s obvious they knew all along how bad the image was without the blur. Not their fault as it was made for them but yeah.

Sad to say that de blur is not a magic bullet and in fact in my humble opinion it actually makes the n64 look worse by shining a light on its many faults.

I love you N64 but I’ve given up on a good looking picture for you. If only you had the power for a higher internal resolution ala 480p without being a slide show.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Kobeskillz wrote:De blur is overrated imo. I was so hyped years and years ago with the my life in gaming about this. I dreamt of this feature for years. I barely got my N64Digital a while ago cause I’m not a connected youtuber so I missed out on ultra for years but now I finally got my hands on it and the de blur I spent countless days dreaming out.

And it sucks. Not the de blur it self per say but the N64 I’ve come to conclude is not a system that shows well the sharper it gets. I’ve done the AA hack and deblur and every combination possible and it’s just Ugly. My life in gaming made it seem like it was mind blowing and it’s cool but they failed to really show how bad the n64 just looks like that.

Ironically I rock deblur off, scan lines and interpolation to soft/softer for a legit CRT look. Now I’m not a crt or nothing kinda guy but the blurry image makes the N64 look normal. At least how Nintendo intended it to look since it’s obvious they knew all along how bad the image was without the blur. Not their fault as it was made for them but yeah.

Sad to say that de blur is not a magic bullet and in fact in my humble opinion it actually makes the n64 look worse by shining a light on its many faults.

I love you N64 but I’ve given up on a good looking picture for you. If only you had the power for a higher internal resolution ala 480p without being a slide show.
I love the ability to deblur, personally. That said, My Life in Gaming showed direct capture footage of deblur. You saw exactly what it looked like. How were you let down? Did you think it was, magically, going to look better than the footage they showed? They showed literal footage. What was your confusion? How did they fail to show how it looked? They showed exactly what it looked like. LOL! N64 has always been pretty ugly visually, even on a CRT, it's a bland, blurry mess. I can't imagine why you would have ever thought deblur would change that, especially after seeing footage of it in action. :?
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:De blur is overrated imo. I was so hyped years and years ago with the my life in gaming about this. I dreamt of this feature for years. I barely got my N64Digital a while ago cause I’m not a connected youtuber so I missed out on ultra for years but now I finally got my hands on it and the de blur I spent countless days dreaming out.

I love the ability to deblur, personally. That said, My Life in Gaming showed direct capture footage of deblur. You saw exactly what it looked like. How were you let down? Did you think it was, magically, going to look better than the footage they showed? They showed literal footage. What was your confusion? How did they fail to show how it looked? They showed exactly what it looked like. LOL! N64 has always been pretty ugly visually, even on a CRT, it's a bland, blurry mess. I can't imagine why you would have ever thought deblur would change that, especially after seeing footage of it in action. :?
Hands on is a lot different than quick zoom in footage. Look don’t get all defensive. Lol. I love those guys is not their fault I’m just saying their video got me hyped but with hands on I came to another conclusion. lol. Don’t trip.

You can’t imagine but I’m sorry some of us can’t find out something until we get hands on with something. Sorry I don’t have your unique ability to figure something out before trying it out.

If you like deblur then good for you. My post isn’t to dump on people that like it but to give my opinion as to why I personally feel it doesn’t work with N64. Just my opinion not gospel and if you like it I’m happy for you. I have nothing against people enjoying the feature. Just giving my perspective.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I'm not getting defensive at all. It makes no difference to me. I'm not a superfan of My Life in Gaming. I'm just confused as to how you were so disappointed. They showed tons of footage of it. I think it was pretty clear as to how the deblur was going to look.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Can someone with an n64digital please post a screencap of the image when set to the custom output resolution of 1024x768 in pentile mode? TIA
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I'm not getting defensive at all. It makes no difference to me. I'm not a superfan of My Life in Gaming. I'm just confused as to how you were so disappointed. They showed tons of footage of it. I think it was pretty clear as to how the deblur was going to look.
I guess I’m a dummy. Apologies. Either way that’s my conclusion even if I was late to the party. Still messing with settings. Anywhere on the net where people share custom settings?
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Kobeskillz wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:I'm not getting defensive at all. It makes no difference to me. I'm not a superfan of My Life in Gaming. I'm just confused as to how you were so disappointed. They showed tons of footage of it. I think it was pretty clear as to how the deblur was going to look.
I guess I’m a dummy. Apologies. Either way that’s my conclusion even if I was late to the party. Still messing with settings. Anywhere on the net where people share custom settings?
I'm not calling you a dummy, I just thought the footage spoke for itself fairly well. I suppose it could depend on the display you're using. Some deal with scaled retro consoles better than others. I also find that smaller HDTVs tend to treat N64 better. When blown up on ultra large TVs, it highlights N64 flaws far more than smaller displays. The N64 looks far more pleasing to my eyes on my 32" HDTV versus my 65" HDTV.
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
I'm not calling you a dummy, I just thought the footage spoke for itself fairly well. I suppose it could depend on the display you're using. Some deal with scaled retro consoles better than others. I also find that smaller HDTVs tend to treat N64 better. When blown up on ultra large TVs, it highlights N64 flaws far more than smaller displays. The N64 looks far more pleasing to my eyes on my 32" HDTV versus my 65" HDTV.
Aight aight lets move on. lol.

looking for good scanline settings. Do people share custome settings?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Makes sense to me. If the image on his TV doesn't match what he saw on his PC, tablet or phone then it could easily be down to picture settings. Most if not all TVs look TERRIBLE out of the box, with massive oversharpening and other horrible stuff done to the picture. This is not usually the case with PC monitors, so maybe it's worth looking into turning off every "dynamic" settings on the TV as well as sharpening, noise reduction and edge enhancements. That might make a difference :)
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Can this output 4:3 and 240p/480i over HDMI?