shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2014
Posts: 548
Location: USA
ldeveraux wrote:
I don't care what anyone's done for the community, this kind of behavior is completely inappropriate. You made a post with dubious comments and didn't expect flack for that? We don't accept that immaturity from Kevtris, we don't accept it from our kids, I won't accept it from a theoretically grown man with a chip on his shoulder and a penchant to defend himself at the slightest negativity. I'm sorry you had to be the one to share this with us because you're doing the opposite of what you intended. You've certainly turned me off of it; others too judging by the comments.



ldeveraux wrote:

I assume he's getting a kickback from it then.



^ That's why I don't take you seriously. You don't know what dubious means, yet you throw the word around without realizing that it's completely dubious to make the implication that I'm receiving a kick-back for something that you know absolutely nothing about. That's incredibly insulting. Speaking of being a "grown man", I realize that you hide behind a screen-name on an internet forum because that's safe space for you, but I don't hide or conceal my identity, and so when someone makes an erroneous claim about me, I have a tendency to take it kind of personally.

I'm happy to share things with 98% of the people. It's just the 2% like you which are kind of trashy that I'm not particularly fond of. It's the 2% that are going to run-off the actual creators and contributors of things, not because of their criticism, but because they act like douchebags.
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/voultar
http://www.voultar.com


Last edited by Voultar on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1422
I'm under a Pee NDA at Shit Inc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:28 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 640
Voultar wrote:
^ That's why I don't take you seriously. You don't know what dubious means, yet you throw the word around without realizing that it's completely dubious to make the implication that I'm receiving a kick-back for something that you know absolutely nothing about. That's incredibly insulting. Speaking of being a "grown man", I realize that you hide behind a screen-name on an internet forum because that's safe for you. But I don't hide my identity, and so when someone makes an erroneous claim about me, I have a tendency to take it kind of personally.

I'm happy to share it with 98% of the people who see it. It's just the 2% like you which are kind of trashy that I'm not particularly fond of.


You know what, I completely apologize about most of this. I didn't look closely enough and thought you shared the initial post here on Shmups. I didn't realize someone else posted a screencap of your Twitter post.

With that said, there's nothing "dubious" about posting my assumption about you taking a kick for this. It's my opinion, I never said it was a fact, that's why I said "I assume." I don't care about you taking me seriously, nor do I need your approval. I don't know if you're an asshole in real life, but you certainly have been in this thread. So you can accept my backhanded apology or not, I literally couldn't care less.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2020
Posts: 14
Location: San Francisco, CA
fernan1234 wrote:
Oh why oh why did it have to have a SCART input for RGB?

I mean, I get why of course. I just really really hope there will be an alt version with a D-sub connector instead.

Or perhaps allow the RCA inputs to not only work for YPbPr but also for RGB, which would allow people with non-SHART setups use it more elegantly (simple RCA cables, or RCA adapter for BNC cables, or D-Sub to RCA/BNC cables would all work).
@mikechi2 any chance this may be done for the RT5X?

DSUB doesn't have a pinout standard for carrying audio, so I'd imagine that's one reason. Just plug in an adapter if SCART bothers you so much. BTW turning one cable into 3-5 cables (aka RCA/BNC) is a bit of a stretch for "elegant" or "simple" :) 95% of the aftermarket RGB cables being made are SCART, and anyone using BNC/RCA as their connection standard already have a SCART to RCA/BNC adapter... so nothing new here.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1422
treminaor wrote:
anyone using BNC/RCA as their connection standard already have a SCART to RCA/BNC adapter... so nothing new here.

I don't. I own nothing with a scart connector on it, intentionally


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2020
Posts: 14
Location: San Francisco, CA
maxtherabbit wrote:
intentionally

Why? A wire is a wire. There's nothing superior about one connector over another.

I love how adamant people are about hating on various connectors. I wasn't even talking to you and you jumped in to let us all know you intentionally don't use SCART. like it was responsible for a death in your family.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
treminaor wrote:
Why? A wire is a wire. There's nothing superior about one connector over another.


SCART is a connector that will wear out eventually, this will result in the picture blacking in and out, same thing with the sound, among other thing like parasites in the picture and the audio, at least this is common with SCART inputs from European TVs. I use almost nothing with SCART now, except the OSSC and I hooked my Wii modded with WiiDual into my OSSC SCART input and don't plan on unplugging it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2020
Posts: 14
Location: San Francisco, CA
Lawfer wrote:
treminaor wrote:
Why? A wire is a wire. There's nothing superior about one connector over another.


SCART is a connector that will wear out eventually, this will result in the picture blacking in and out, same thing with the sound, among other thing like parasites in the picture and the audio, at least this is common with SCART inputs from European TVs. I use almost nothing with SCART now, except the OSSC and I hooked my Wii modded with WiiDual into my OSSC SCART input and don't plan on unplugging it.

Any cable will wear out if you unplug and plug it in enough. They are all rated for a certain amount of use. I guess if we are talking about durability then objectively BNC has the best design but that doesn't change how its objectively more work to plug in and cable manage. Everything has upsides and downsides, which was my original point. People can use whatever they want, it's the fact that people are shitting on one connector in particular without any reasoning specified that is annoying. SHART LOLZ


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
treminaor wrote:
Any cable will wear out if you unplug and plug it in enough.


Of course, but they all differ when it comes to how quickly they will wear out and how bad the side of effects of this wear out will be, in my experience SCART is one of the worse when it comes to this sort of thing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:03 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 640
Lawfer wrote:
treminaor wrote:
Any cable will wear out if you unplug and plug it in enough.


Of course, but they all differ when it comes to how quickly they will wear out and how bad the side of effects of this wear out will be, in my experience SCART is one of the worse when it comes to this sort of thing.


How often do you unplug a console's cable that you're worried about its robustness? That's what switches are for.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:18 pm 



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 7
Lawfer wrote:
Image

Can anyone tell if it looks like the RetroTINK-5X Pro has HDMI input?


Based on the video clips shared, it's an HDMI output, with the other silver input being S-Video.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
dandiego wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Image

Can anyone tell if it looks like the RetroTINK-5X Pro has HDMI input?


Based on the video clips shared, it's an HDMI output


Yes, but does it look like it have HDMI INPUT, like the OSSC Pro?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 338
Location: Sweden
Josh128 wrote:
I just want something that can take 240p and line triple it to 720p in a 768p frame (for a 768p TV), using 2 of the 720p lines per game line and the remaining 720p line for a blank (scan) line. The remaining unused 48 pixels would just be black borders.


The OSSC can do that. Whether the display accepts the signal is another matter ofc.
_________________
OSSC TV Compatibility report thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 640
Lawfer wrote:
Yes, but does it look like it have HDMI INPUT, like the OSSC Pro?


Not unless it's on the underside.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:19 pm 



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 7
Lawfer wrote:
dandiego wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Image

Can anyone tell if it looks like the RetroTINK-5X Pro has HDMI input?


Based on the video clips shared, it's an HDMI output


Yes, but does it look like it have HDMI INPUT, like the OSSC Pro?


Doesn't look like it...
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 338
Location: Sweden
Lawfer wrote:
the OSSC is a very technical tool and getting the perfect picture requires quite a bit of work and additional hardware and know-how, so it will be out of reach for most people.


That’s not a correct statement. Once the optimal samplerate is known, the process doesn’t need to be repeated for each user. FBX made that video at a time when some console samplerates had still not been determined, and the profile import system had not been implemented.

For the vast majority of use cases, it is currently trivial to get optimized modes working.

I grant you though, it remains a challenge perhaps for various lesser used arcade boards, but can often be surmised from MAME documentation.
And ofc sample phase needs to be manually tuned, that is really something the tink-5x improves on.

Finally, it can of course always be discussed what ”the perfect picture” entails, certainly for a lot of people it is not necessarily optimised timings and integer scaling, but that’s for a different thread. :P

In any case, it will be exciting to get more info on this thing, and great with another alternative to OSSC and GBS!
_________________
OSSC TV Compatibility report thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
dandiego wrote:
Doesn't look like it...
Image


Oh nice find, yeah doesn't look like it, shame, HDMI input is pretty much a must nowadays, NES, N64, Dreamcast, PS1, GameCube, Wii, GBA Consolizer, all have support for HDMI outputs.


Harrumph wrote:
That’s not a correct statement. Once the optimal samplerate is known, the process doesn’t need to be repeated for each user.


Here is what FirebrandX says:

"Although these settings are based on my X, the only values that may or may not differ from other X hardware are the following:

1. Sampling phase (this always will be restricted to a case-by-case basis).

2. Advanced timing for X's H. backporch.

3. Advanced timing for X's V. backporch.

Everything else should be universal."


Last edited by Lawfer on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 147
Guspaz wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
He's under NDA, what exactly do you want from him?


Mike Chi drew up a legally binding NDA that Voultar entered into an agreement with? Is there a source for this?

That said, if it were the case, why even show anyone that you have it? Seems pointless.


I'm under a legally binding NDA with Mike and I don't even have any prototypes. So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mike had some form of NDA with the prototype, be it a legally binding one or an informal "Don't talk too much about it" one. Doesn't really matter, I think it's silly to attack Voultar for not wanting to share information about somebody else's prototype.


I wasn't attacking him, just saying I didn't understand the point in showing it and immediately saying: "Don't ask questions"... Well, humans are naturally curious creatures and are going to ask questions whether you instruct them to or not, especially when you tease a picture of a product that there's likely a few thousand people highly interested in. When he originally posted that pic on Twitter, I, personally, didn't ask anything about it because he said not to. But, I wasn't surprised when I saw other people asking. Hell, his live stream is going right now and I've already seen a dozen people ask questions about it, because that's what people do when you show a picture of something. Pretty shocking. LOL!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
TooBeaucoup wrote:
I wasn't attacking him, just saying I didn't understand the point in showing it and immediately saying: "Don't ask questions"...


It's just a teaser for a prototype hardware that isn't his design but that he has been testing for a few months now, he already teased the RetroTINK 5X-Pro back in October, see:

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1316148707318956034

Notice it says "v1.2", while the one he just teased in January says "v1.4".


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1200
treminaor wrote:
DSUB doesn't have a pinout standard for carrying audio, so I'd imagine that's one reason. Just plug in an adapter if SCART bothers you so much. BTW turning one cable into 3-5 cables (aka RCA/BNC) is a bit of a stretch for "elegant" or "simple" :) 95% of the aftermarket RGB cables being made are SCART, and anyone using BNC/RCA as their connection standard already have a SCART to RCA/BNC adapter... so nothing new here.


It was a rhetorical question. As I said, I get why SCART was chosen. I was just expressing a wish, since DSub is objectively a better connector that can more easily accommodate all sorts of setups. Audio could still be provided via the RCA audio jacks. DSub users only need a "VGA" cable. BNC users can use a cheap, readily available, and reliable "VGA to BNC" cable from Monoprice and the like. And SCART users, the majority, can use a "SCART to Dsub/VGA" cable. Recall the uni-directionality of SCART (one of its disadvantages). Last time I checked, "SCART to VGA" cables are more common than those going the other direction.

Anyway, I was not asking for SCART to be replaced by a Dsub connector, but whether an alternative board with the latter could be possible, though demand for it would most likely be comparatively small. More realistically, I asked if the RCA connectors, which we know can be used for YPbPr, YC, and CVBS, could also be configured to accept RGB (like most professional monitors and video processors accept both kinds of "Component", RGB and YPbPr, through the same connectors. Of course, this would require using RGsB instead of RGBS since there are only three connectors, but the type of "advanced" user who would take advantage of this configuration is likely to have an RGB interface to take care of this. This is assuming that Mike Chi could enable this via firmware.


Last edited by fernan1234 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 2069
I'm not sure a wire is always a wire. SCART bundles so many things together--and it can cause problems. I hate having to buy or build custom cables. Even for short runs, a cheap SCART cable is almost guaranteed to suck. That's not true for many other cables. If there isn't a bunch of other things to create interference, a.pair of short inexpensive component and RCA audio cables can work fine. With a cheap SCART cable, it will always be bad. I also hate the way additional components get bundled into cables--instead of having mods that output proper signal (in the first place).

SCART cables also don't have a physical standardized design feature to keep them connected/seated. I realize most consumer-focused standards have that problem, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. BNC and HD15/DE15 are meant to be locked down--and that's marvelous.
_________________
We apologise for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
orange808 wrote:
BNC and HD15/DE15 are meant to be locked down--and that's marvelous.


DVI too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:10 am 



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 186
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Voultar wrote:

This is why I am easily annoyed by some of the random people who dwell here.. There are too many stupid people who either want to make shit up to make someone look bad or just be insulting.

I never crapped on the OSSC you Yo-Yo, I praised it.


Oh fuck right off into Oblivion.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:23 am 



Joined: 11 Dec 2014
Posts: 401
Guspaz wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
He's under NDA, what exactly do you want from him?


Mike Chi drew up a legally binding NDA that Voultar entered into an agreement with? Is there a source for this?

That said, if it were the case, why even show anyone that you have it? Seems pointless.


I'm under a legally binding NDA with Mike and I don't even have any prototypes. So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mike had some form of NDA with the prototype, be it a legally binding one or an informal "Don't talk too much about it" one. Doesn't really matter, I think it's silly to attack Voultar for not wanting to share information about somebody else's prototype.

If you don't want to share then why bother posting at all? Of course people are going to ask questions.
Either wait until you CAN answer questions or don't be a jerk when people ask questions or get upset that you basically flash something shiny at them to get their attention, but then say you can't say anything about it.


And behavior like this (Below) doesn't make it any better.
Voultar wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
I don't care what anyone's done for the community, this kind of behavior is completely inappropriate. You made a post with dubious comments and didn't expect flack for that? We don't accept that immaturity from Kevtris, we don't accept it from our kids, I won't accept it from a theoretically grown man with a chip on his shoulder and a penchant to defend himself at the slightest negativity. I'm sorry you had to be the one to share this with us because you're doing the opposite of what you intended. You've certainly turned me off of it; others too judging by the comments.



ldeveraux wrote:

I assume he's getting a kickback from it then.



^ That's why I don't take you seriously. You don't know what dubious means, yet you throw the word around without realizing that it's completely dubious to make the implication that I'm receiving a kick-back for something that you know absolutely nothing about. That's incredibly insulting. Speaking of being a "grown man", I realize that you hide behind a screen-name on an internet forum because that's safe space for you, but I don't hide or conceal my identity, and so when someone makes an erroneous claim about me, I have a tendency to take it kind of personally.

I'm happy to share things with 98% of the people. It's just the 2% like you which are kind of trashy that I'm not particularly fond of. It's the 2% that are going to run-off the actual creators and contributors of things, not because of their criticism, but because they act like douchebags.

He never claimed you are receiving kickbacks. One guy said
Quote:
He's under NDA, what exactly do you want from him?

He responded with
Quote:
I assume he's getting a kickback from it then.

He simply made a statement based on the response of someone else, he's not going around rumor spreading and "insulting" you.
Yet you continually attack people simply trying to figure out what the situation actually is. Since you posted about something to tease people to get their attention, but refuse to answer anything about because they are interested in the device.
You talk about being insulted but 99% of your responses to this thread have been nothing but doing the exact opposite to people trying to understand what the situation is. When you wouldn't disclose anything in the first place. You automatically just became defensive by default to everyone. And one of them has even apologized for responding short in turn to you insulting everyone over the statement of one other person. (Not that guy)

Literally one person stated you were attention whoring. Everyone else was just trying to discern what the situation surrounding a cool product you just showed off based on ZERO information. Since you wouldn't answer anything.
People only got short with their replies to you and called you immature, after your only responses were to attack EVERYONE based off ONE person calling you a prick.

Quote:
Jesus, a bunch of sour-assed forum dwellers throwing shade because I didn't go into deep detail for an unreleased product in a Twitter post. Are you 13 years old?

Quote:
What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Quote:
It's just the 2% like you which are kind of trashy that I'm not particularly fond of. It's the 2% that are going to run-off the actual creators and contributors of things, not because of their criticism, but because they act like douchebags.


So take a step back sometime man. People are interested in this device and we all hope you can share some information about it when ready, but don't act like a jerk towards everyone based off something from one person that causes a chain reaction from multiple people.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2451
Location: Montréal, Canada
orange808 wrote:
I hate having to buy or build custom cables. Even for short runs, a cheap SCART cable is almost guaranteed to suck. That's not true for many other cables.
It's just as true of HD15/VGA cables. I've seen a lot more bad VGA cables than bad SCART cables. I like how easy it is to rewire a SCART head for my uses, which is something that is extremely difficult with HD15.

(I have zero information about the 5X, anything I say is speculation or based on what I've read online or seen in videos) Realistically, though, the RetroTINK 5X appears to be intended for use in the living room, and the currently supported set of inputs, that being (apparently) SCART, YPbPr, S-Video, and Composite. It covers pretty much every home game console ever made, as well as a lot of retro computers. I think that if you're targeting a bit more of a broad consumer market than more specialist stuff like the OSSC Pro, going with the formats used with consumer consoles is a better move. That's not to say that I think a VGA port wouldn't be useful, I just understand why it doesn't make as much sense as SCART in the livingroom.

Harrumph wrote:
That’s not a correct statement. Once the optimal samplerate is known, the process doesn’t need to be repeated for each user. [...] For the vast majority of use cases, it is currently trivial to get optimized modes working.!


That does not reflect my experience. I tried to get pixel-perfect sampling working on the SNES on my OSSC. I plugged in the known values and proceeded to try to adjust the phase and backporch. After fiddling with it for half an hour, I could not find any combination of values that produced per-pixel sampling. There was always some sort of ghosting. One phase setting would ghost a bit to the left, one phase setting a bit to the right. Never perfect. I never got it working. Even from people who have got it working, I've heard that you need to periodically re-adjust phase as it drifts over time, you can't even just spend the time laboriously tweaking it once and then save it to a profile, you'll have to go back in and tweak phase in the future.

A fully automatic "turn it on and it just works" pixel-perfect sampling option that works every time with zero effort or configuration? To me that's a game changer.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 2069
Guspaz wrote:
That's not to say that I think a VGA port wouldn't be useful, I just understand why it doesn't make as much sense as SCART in the livingroom.


Agreed. Setups with pro grade switches and wiring are an extreme outlier--and most people don't want to secure cables in place like me.

Agreed on HD15 cables. I've had similar problems with inexpensive ones. Although, sourcing good ones in my area has been significantly easier than buying good SCART cables.
_________________
We apologise for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 2069
Please don't run Voultar away. This is silly.
_________________
We apologise for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:18 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7217
Location: Bedford, UK
I'm all in for 720p with scanlines. I'll wait on youtube reviews before I dive in but if it really is plug n play that will be a seller for me.

The OSSC is a nice piece of kit but having a remote with all sorts of settings with jargon names I don't understand that well kinda puts it in the specialist camp for me.

I just want a device with a few settings that get you 95% of the way. I can live without the 5%.

I find in this field of device that the "ultimate" is something that is very hard to achieve, bold claims from Voultar, but we will see.
_________________
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 2427
neorichieb1971 wrote:
I'm all in for 720p with scanlines. I'll wait on youtube reviews before I dive in but if it really is plug n play that will be a seller for me.

The OSSC is a nice piece of kit but having a remote with all sorts of settings with jargon names I don't understand that well kinda puts it in the specialist camp for me.

I just want a device with a few settings that get you 95% of the way. I can live without the 5%.

I find in this field of device that the "ultimate" is something that is very hard to achieve, bold claims from Voultar, but we will see.

I think OSSC gets 95% of the way there already. Set a linedoubling mode and forget it. Sure you could get better image quality, which is what the RetroTINK 5X is hopefully going for, but it's not like when playing a game you're going to notice that it isn't pixel perfect.

I'm more curious how the RetroTINK 5X will be the best in "features". What will it do that the OSSC can't?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 338
Location: Sweden
Lawfer wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
That’s not a correct statement. Once the optimal samplerate is known, the process doesn’t need to be repeated for each user.


Here is what FirebrandX says:
"Although these settings are based on my X, the only values that may or may not differ from other X hardware are the following:


I was perhaps not completely clear in my reply. Primarily, my objections were with the supposed need for "additional hardware", and that optimised sampling would be "out of reach for most people". The process that doesn't need repeating is the determination of optimal samplerate, not the other parts. Sample phase and X & Y position are settings you can tweak with a button press and use your eyes to determine a proper setting. To me, that's in the territory of trivial in terms of complexity.

Also, considering the development of the OSSC firmware and the maturation of the OSSC community, I think one needs to be careful referencing material that is (like that video), several years old.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the OSSC is perfect in all ways, that's not at all what I think or mean. :) I don't dispute that, as Guspaz pointed out, it can still be difficult/time consuming to dial in perfect phase (or even samplerate in the cases where it is suitable with fractional samplerate). Some consoles are more difficult than others etc. I was not aware that phase would drift, perhaps I'm not using optimized mode often enough to have noticed.

Guspaz wrote:
A fully automatic "turn it on and it just works" pixel-perfect sampling option that works every time with zero effort or configuration? To me that's a game changer.

Yeah, I'm all for it, sounds great!

ZellSF wrote:
I think OSSC gets 95% of the way there already. Set a linedoubling mode and forget it.

Agree as well, the advent of the optimised sampling mode has been a bit of a double edged sword, obscuring how great OSSC already was in generic mode compared to the predominant scaler at the time (Framemeister).
_________________
OSSC TV Compatibility report thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BazookaBen, IPD, Ryoandr and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group