RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikechi2

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by mikechi2 »

thchardcore wrote:Mike - Sorry for having to repeat yourself, but just wanted to provide an update as the issue I encountered had nothing to do with the RT5.

I tested with my old Micomsoft DISPL and got the same tearing issue at the top of the screen. It's either the image or something with the Xstation. Only games I noticed this on were Alundra and Adventures of Little Ralph.

Please do not remove 480P output mode. I am using it with a cheap DAC to drive a VGA crt and it is absolutely perfect now that I have solved my own setup issues. I honestly couldn't be happier with this thing.
Glad to hear that and no need to apologize. Surprised the Xstation can cause tearing so I wonder if something else is going on.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I for one do not give a shit about this guys dvdo and am tired of hearing about it
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

You don't understand, it is the central hub that connects all, and shall NOT accept a single additional device in its sacrosanct AV realm.
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

maxtherabbit wrote:I for one do not give a shit about this guys dvdo and am tired of hearing about it
If you don't have any clever arguments, then insults have to do the trick... :roll:
fernan1234 wrote:You don't understand, it is the central hub that connects all, and shall NOT accept a single additional device in its sacrosanct AV realm.
This is exactly true in a way. I've tried so many different setups with countless devices over the years (starting in the early 2000s).

In the beginning, I also thought to use a corresponding device or converter for each task. As a result, my entire setup was very complicated to operate, and depending on the combination, one device would cause problems here and another there (including hours of troubleshooting).

So at some point I came to the conclusion to simplify the whole thing and to rely on a central hub as flexible as possible, which covers all needs. That's how I ended up with the combination of DVDO VP50 and Framemeister, which has worked and harmonized perfectly to date.

Since the Framemeister is a bit fiddly to use and find the optimal settings, I tried alternatives like the OSSC. However, this could not quite meet my expectations in terms of product design, operation and image quality, which is why I switched back to the Framemeister.

With the release of the RT5X it seemed like it would be the perfect replacement for the Framemeister, which it basically is in all disciplines, just not in terms of the most compatible 480p image output.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Interesting banter. I second thchardcore in that I'd like to see 480p stay, but really, since Mike allows legacy firmwares to still be accessed, if it goes and someone has a Sony HD CRT or a 768p plasma or a 480p CRT, downloading and installing the older firmware that gives the output needed is fine imo. The fact that they had to be removed at all speaks to the limited space available on the device. I dont think theres any possible scenario on a single FW that can satisfy everyone.

I think thchardcore is using his 5X on one of my Hitachi heist dual scan units. :mrgreen: The 480p output works fine for them, my LG QHD monitor, my 1080p and 768p plasmas, and fine with DAC feeding SVGA CRTs. Who's to say that changes to the current mode wouldnt introduce problems elsewhere where there presently are none.
Last edited by Josh128 on Mon May 09, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Josh128 wrote:Interesting banter. I second thchardcore in that I'd like to see 480p stay, but really, since Mike allows legacy firmwares to still be accessed, if one has a Sony HD CRT or a 768p plasma, downloading and installing the older firmware that gives the output needed is fine imo. The fact that they had to be removed at all speaks to the limited space available on the device. I dont think theres any possible scenario on a single FW that can satisfy everyone.
So obvious question, have alternative firmwares been considered?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ZellSF wrote: So obvious question, have alternative firmwares been considered?
You're on fire today, buddy. :mrgreen:

Would you want to maintain more than one fork of a hobby project???
We apologise for the inconvenience
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

orange808 wrote:
ZellSF wrote: So obvious question, have alternative firmwares been considered?
You're on fire today, buddy. :mrgreen:

Would you want to maintain more than one fork of a hobby project???
I should have specified, the question was for Mike Chi, or anyone who actually had heard anything from him about it earlier.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

mikechi2 wrote: Nah, in seriousness, 480p needs to go so 240p can come back and maybe swap 540p for 720p. This should help most currently underserved needs.
I haven't been following this thread so please bear with me. What is the purpose of 540p?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Konsolkongen wrote:
mikechi2 wrote: Nah, in seriousness, 480p needs to go so 240p can come back and maybe swap 540p for 720p. This should help most currently underserved needs.
I haven't been following this thread so please bear with me. What is the purpose of 540p?
HD CRTs.

I think the purpose is both increasing picture quality and reducing input lag, Google tells me this is a relevant thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68605
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thanks. Having never seen an HD CRT television I had no idea that some had terrible input lag. Nice that there is an option to improve this for people who owns such a TV :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Thanks. Having never seen an HD CRT television
basically non-existent here in Europe. The US sets were made with 1080i in mind, while we only got 480/576p YEARS later with the very last CRTs ever.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

ZellSF wrote:So obvious question, have alternative firmwares been considered?
Mike has been asked many times about having multiple firmwares with different feature sets, and the answer has always been that this would multiply the development/testing/support effort by the number of unique firmware branches, and is thus something that he has no interest in doing. My impression is that the answer to the question is an extremely emphatic "No".
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Yeah I figured that was likely. Thanks for the answer.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Yeah, 540p would be worth keeping since there are so many HD CRTs still floating around out there. Which is partially because they are all very large and difficult to throw away.

As for PC CRTs, we could use one of the many higher definition modes, we don't need 480p. 480p has that double-scanline look on 240p material that doesn't look authentic at all. It's a cool look in its own way, but it's pretty far from what the pixel artists had in mind. On PC CRT, you're more likely to get an authentic looking picture at something like 1200p or 1440p with artificial scanlines.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

480p mode is optimal for some of the larger sets as that is the best resolution they do and for smaller sets, you can have other 480p based content (Xbox, GC, Wii, DC) already perfectly sized so you don't need to mess with position and geometry controls.

I would also think the use base for HDTV CRTs is far smaller than for PC CRTs.

I can live with the fact that 480p output mode may get dropped since the current firmware addresses nearly all critical aspects of use, but I was really just hoping to see profile names before it did.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Steven

Post by Steven »

So how well does the RT5X do with old arcade PCBs? I'm thinking about picking up a Slap Fight PCB this year and I know that a lot of the Toaplan PCBs have refresh rates in the 55~57Hz range from what I've heard. Is there a better option for Toaplan PCBs? I have a Framemeister and an OSSC as well.

I want the single best option there is for video and audio quality, and I think the RT5X is probably it, especially with the triple buffer ensuring that I'll likely never have problems with the refresh rates, but I'm not sure, so I figured I should ask.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Hi Steven - I can do some tests. I am currently using the Reteoscaler A1 but it does not work for all Toaplan PCBs (Batsugun being the big one).

I'll dig out my scart cable and see how it does with a few random boards.
pettry

Post by pettry »

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask. the retrotink 5x seems to be a bit blown out with my wii, missing detail in bright scenes.
This only seems to be the case with the retrotink, my BVM and ossc don't have this issue.
I have my pal wii(RVL-001) connect by RGB scart cable from RGC into an otaku scart switch(6 in 3 out).

is there any way to fix this? the only way I have found to slightly mitigate it is by applying very heavy scanlines, at that point the image isn't very appealing anymore.
none of the other settings help with this and changing settings on my tv doesn't help either.

I have also interchanged the scart cables between the ossc and the retrotink, which dind't help.

Any help would be appreciated.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Adjust gamma and or color down in post processing menu.
Roguma

Post by Roguma »

What settings would you guys recommend for a psp go?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

My friend is still doing some testing, but has confirmed 345MHz from my Tripp-Lite HDMI to VGA I lent to him -
https://www.tripplite.com/2-port-hdmi-t ... 13106n2vau
...However, he seems to be having some image smearing and image quality issues, at all bandwidths... maybe there's a workaround. I'm gonna ask him to try something like a nicer PSU with a higher amperage. If anyone has some other suggestions (like some sorta internal modification) that would be awesome.

Anyhoo, this is relevant for anyone who would want to try the RT5X's experimental 2560x1440p 60Hz mode on a high-spec PC CRT! That resolution is ~320-330MHz, from what I remember.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

should only be around 245 MHz.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

mikechi2 wrote: Sigh, I should really just get rid of 480p for the next update. .
Please don't, I use 480p with my GC Gameboy player. It's the only resolution that makes it look 'correct' on my TV (IMHO).
strayan

Post by strayan »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
mikechi2 wrote: Sigh, I should really just get rid of 480p for the next update. .
Please don't, I use 480p with my GC Gameboy player. It's the only resolution that makes it look 'correct' on my TV (IMHO).
Y’know you can force the gamecube to output 480p using SWISS right?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

strayan wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
If you have cables.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

strayan wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
My GC is using the component cable and I'm using the HD Gameboy Player software, but the image only looks good when I set the 5X to 480p (the regular GC looks just fine at 1080p). I haven't tried doing any forced resolution stuff through Swiss as I didn't think there was a need to if I'm using the component cable.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

When using the Game Boy Player with an OSSC or RT5X, you should be using GBI at 360p, which the RT5X will automatically detect and scale to full-screen using optimal sampling.

The presets for doing this are listed here: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Interface
strayan

Post by strayan »

Tempest_2084 wrote: My GC is using the component cable and I'm using the HD Gameboy Player software, but the image only looks good when I set the 5X to 480p (the regular GC looks just fine at 1080p). I haven't tried doing any forced resolution stuff through Swiss as I didn't think there was a need to if I'm using the component cable.
You should be using 360p anyway. This might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWwJsGK5So
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Direct link to GBI settings for RT5X- https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... K-5X_Pro_2
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.