RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by Josh128 »

It handles at least up to 720p and possibly 1080i (dont remember for certain on the 1080i).
Steven

Post by Steven »

azmun wrote:
Steven wrote:Anyone tried Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode? I just get either a garbled mess or a black screen, depending on the resolution that I set the output to. Interlaced works fine, though. Using HD Retrovision and a stock Japanese slim PS2.
Huh, last I checked the 5X-Pro handles 480p as among various input resolutions. With my OSSC, we have the option to either pass through or line-double (i.e. 2x) and either way, it looks razor sharp on my 1080p monitor. Not sure what options the RetroTINK 5x-Pro offers with regards to 480p source but I'd be curious to know as well. Perhaps this is where OSSC still comes in handy or shines?

If I may suggest troubleshooting, have you gone to the system BIOS screen and ensure you've enabled "component video out" under system configuration?
HD Retrovision uses the RGB signal, so you have to set it to RGB or everything will be green.

I tested it on the OSSC, where it seems to work, and the OSSC says that Thunder Force VI's progressive scan output is 525p. The RT5X's instruction manual says that it supports 240p, 288p, 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, and 1080i, so maybe it isn't compatible. I guess I should probably email Mike about it, as I'm not sure how often he comes here.
ZaleUnda

Post by ZaleUnda »

So I recently received my Retrotink 5x and so far everything works great. Only issue is despite having a TV with 1440p supported resolution (Samsung 65 inch Q70R) the retrotink refuses to output 1440p and I just get a no signal detected screen. Is there some way to force 1440P or am I just out of luck?
azmun

Post by azmun »

Steven wrote:HD Retrovision uses the RGB signal, so you have to set it to RGB or everything will be green.

I tested it on the OSSC, where it seems to work, and the OSSC says that Thunder Force VI's progressive scan output is 525p. The RT5X's instruction manual says that it supports 240p, 288p, 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, and 1080i, so maybe it isn't compatible. I guess I should probably email Mike about it, as I'm not sure how often he comes here.
Interesting! Upon quick investigation, it seems there are two versions of HD Retrovision.
PlayStation 2/3 YPbPr Component Cable
PlayStation Adapter (for use with the Genesis YPbPr Component Cable)*

*Although the PlayStation adapter will work with PlayStation 2/3 consoles, RGB/SCART output needs to be enabled in the system menu and even then it can only operate properly in the standard definition video modes (240p/288p/480i/576i).

So depending on which route you take, you'll either need to set YCb/PbCr/Pr or RGB. However, 480p does not seem included in the latter and I'm gonna assume you have the latter which may explain your predicament?
Last edited by azmun on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Steven wrote:I tested it on the OSSC, where it seems to work, and the OSSC says that Thunder Force VI's progressive scan output is 525p. The RT5X's instruction manual says that it supports 240p, 288p, 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, and 1080i, so maybe it isn't compatible. I guess I should probably email Mike about it, as I'm not sure how often he comes here.
The OSSC shows the total number of lines. 480p is typically 525 lines.
Steven

Post by Steven »

azmun wrote:
Steven wrote:HD Retrovision uses the RGB signal, so you have to set it to RGB or everything will be green.

Interesting! Upon quick investigation, it seems there are two versions of HD Retrovision.
PlayStation 2/3 YPbPr Component Cable
PlayStation Adapter (for use with the Genesis YPbPr Component Cable)*

*Although the PlayStation adapter will work with PlayStation 2/3 consoles, RGB/SCART output needs to be enabled in the system menu and even then it can only operate properly in the standard definition video modes (240p/288p/480i/576i).

So depending on which route you take, you'll either need to set YCb/PbCr/Pr or RGB. However, 480p does not seem included in the latter and I'm gonna assume you have the latter which may explain your predicament?
Yes, I do have the converter and I'm using the Genesis 2 cable with it. The weird thing is that it works on the OSSC just fine in progressive scan, so I'm really not sure why it wouldn't work on the RT5X. I'd try it on my Japanese PS3 using the HD Retrovision cable with the RT5X, but apparently Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode doesn't work on the PS3 for some reason. This is the only PS2 game that I have with progressive scan, so nothing else to test with.
Extrems wrote:
Steven wrote:I tested it on the OSSC, where it seems to work, and the OSSC says that Thunder Force VI's progressive scan output is 525p. The RT5X's instruction manual says that it supports 240p, 288p, 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, and 1080i, so maybe it isn't compatible. I guess I should probably email Mike about it, as I'm not sure how often he comes here.
The OSSC shows the total number of lines. 480p is typically 525 lines.
Yeah, I forgot about that since it's not a resolution that I typically deal with.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Genesis cable with the PSX adapter converts RGBS to YPbPr. The PS2/PS3 cable passes through YPbPr to YPbPr. You can technically use either cable with the PS2, but there are no advantages to using the Genesis cable on the PS2, and several disadvantages (no 480p without mods, much more expensive cable).

The same is not true of the PS1. Only the Genesis/PS2 cable can be used, since the PS1 does not directly output RGsB or YPbPr.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

thebigcheese wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:Do you have to do something to get 5V sync? The only RGB mods I've got are an NESRGB and a voultar RBG bypass for a SNES mini. My Scart cables are either (older) retro access ones or Naki.
Older SNES bypass boards had pads to manually configure it for either TTL or lower voltage sync whereas it looks like his newer ones set that automatically based on the cable you use, so as long as you have the right cable, you should be good there. For the NESRGB, there are pads that allow you to manually determine which sort of sync it's using, so it wouldn't hurt to open it up and look at it just to make sure (unless you already know for sure which one it's set to use). This PDF gives the options: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/NESRGB-Pinout.pdf. Looks like you just want to make sure that J8 is jumped.
TYVM!

I'm fairly certain I didn't jump that...7? years ago when I installed it. I'm glad you posted the info so I can go in and check.
Brett_D92

Post by Brett_D92 »

On my RT5X, the HD Retrovision Genesis cable + PS1 adapter looked to be the best option as there's something weird about YPbPr mode that results in flashing between scene transitions and I've never seen another person bring this up. I even brought it up here months back but was ignored, so I have no idea if it's actually a "defect" or not.

I've noticed this on all my PS2 models, so it's not a Fat or Slim issue, as well as PS3, OG Xbox and even my MiSTer when trying that once. When I tried the PS2 HD Retrovision cable, it does a white flash when going between menus or scenes:

Then I tried the Genesis cable + PS1 adapter sometime after in RGB mode and it was gone. So I tried it in YPbPr mode (that results in green on screen) and I noticed it showed blue flashing instead:

So there's something about YPbPr mode that my RT5X doesn't like, I could just use the Genesis cable and stick with RGB, though I can't get 480p and up with it. Can't test SCART as I sold all my cables but would imagine it wouldn't do that.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Additional question time!

I couldn't find anything on how this box treats audio and this forum's search function is...dated.

My setup is a little old; my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I have been passing everything converted to YUV to my TV, it then converts that to SPDIF optical which then goes to my receiver. It's been fine and stuff like the SNES' dolby surround manages to stay preserved. I'll mostly be using the 5x-Pro through its SCART port but also through everything else. Would it make more sense that anything I have the ability to use standard RCAs for (s-video, composite, component) that I should just bypass the 5x-Pro and go straight to my receiver? That would eliminate the ADC to DAC path, which while I don't suspect any problems, it seems like it might be best to not even introduce their possibility.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Einzelherz wrote:Additional question time!

I couldn't find anything on how this box treats audio and this forum's search function is...dated.

My setup is a little old; my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I have been passing everything converted to YUV to my TV, it then converts that to SPDIF optical which then goes to my receiver. It's been fine and stuff like the SNES' dolby surround manages to stay preserved. I'll mostly be using the 5x-Pro through its SCART port but also through everything else. Would it make more sense that anything I have the ability to use standard RCAs for (s-video, composite, component) that I should just bypass the 5x-Pro and go straight to my receiver? That would eliminate the ADC to DAC path, which while I don't suspect any problems, it seems like it might be best to not even introduce their possibility.
Does the TV not have SPDIF out for HDMI sources? I would think route everything through the RT5X ideally. Or is the receiver itself the DAC you're talking about? You can always try the easy setup first, I get the feeling that in a double blind test nobody would really be able to notice a quality difference
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZaleUnda

Post by ZaleUnda »

Do we have a list compiled yet with which TVs support the 1440p mode? Despite my Q70R having native 1440p the 1440p mode on the retrotink 5x doesn't work.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

New firmware update just went out.

https://www.retrotink.com/post/retrotin ... re-updates
RetroTINK wrote:
  • Added Smoothing Filter
    • Enable by cycling into the 'Interpolation' menu (Vol+ button on remote).
    • Current algorithm works best on 480p 3D content (i.e. Xbox, GCN games). Lower resolution content might be too rough.
    • Smoothing filter is also used to enhance the performance of the Motion Adaptive Deinterlacer, although the effect is subtle.
  • Reverted some settings that might have caused instability with SNES and other consoles. For difficult systems, like the SMS and NEOGEO AES use the 'Strong' LPF setting. For all other systems use 'Off', 'Light' or 'Medium'.
  • LPF for 480p sources automatically engaged for all LPF settings except the 'Off' position.
  • 'Aperture Grille' setting now uses a coarser mask than 'PVM'. Previous setting was too similar.
  • Added mild Gamma boost to the scanline settings to overcome brightness loss.
  • Fixed a variety of cropping issues in various NTSC and PAL video modes.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Guspaz wrote:Added mild Gamma boost to the scanline settings to overcome brightness loss.
Awesome, this is the stuff we really need.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is 1440p supposed to display like a widescreen mode? This is how it displays on the TCL TV, despite MiSTer correctly displaying in 4:3. I'll check the latest firmware to see if this still happens.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

BrianC wrote:Is 1440p supposed to display like a widescreen mode? This is how it displays on the TCL TV, despite MiSTer correctly displaying in 4:3. I'll check the latest firmware to see if this still happens.
The Tink displays at 1920x1440 which is a 4x3 resolution. Have you checked to make sure your TCL isn't changing the aspect ratio on it's own? I've seen some people mention their TV doing that specifically with the Tink.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:Additional question time!

Does the TV not have SPDIF out for HDMI sources? I would think route everything through the RT5X ideally. Or is the receiver itself the DAC you're talking about? You can always try the easy setup first, I get the feeling that in a double blind test nobody would really be able to notice a quality difference
It does, and that's what I'm using now. I think my main "concern" is for laserdisc playback, but even then, I'm probably making a mountain out of literally nothing.
aalb1970

Post by aalb1970 »

1.74 a big improvement.

PS2 576i and 480i horizontal phase fixed. 480p still slightly off center to the right in 1080p (fill) mode.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
BrianC wrote:Is 1440p supposed to display like a widescreen mode? This is how it displays on the TCL TV, despite MiSTer correctly displaying in 4:3. I'll check the latest firmware to see if this still happens.
The Tink displays at 1920x1440 which is a 4x3 resolution. Have you checked to make sure your TCL isn't changing the aspect ratio on it's own? I've seen some people mention their TV doing that specifically with the Tink.
It's possible, but 1920x1440 displays correctly on the MiSTer with the same TV. I checked the settings to make sure I was using "Direct", which usually displays in the correct aspect ratio, but the TV doesn't have a 1:1 option.
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

Do we know if the new smoothing filter adds some lag ? It's really an awesome feature !
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

zarkFR wrote:Do we know if the new smoothing filter adds some lag ? It's really an awesome feature !
No lag added. In fact, no specific feature affects lag, only "triple buffer" and "framelock" output settings.
Old_Bailey

Post by Old_Bailey »

Having what looks like a weird gamma issue on my Samsung q80t when using 1200p, regardless of console/input. Black levels appear a little washed out, even the sidebars. Only happens at this res, anyone have any insight? I'm assuming maybe something to do with the way my TV specifically handles 1200p.
TORQUENDB

Post by TORQUENDB »

Old_Bailey wrote:Having what looks like a weird gamma issue on my Samsung q80t when using 1200p, regardless of console/input. Black levels appear a little washed out, even the sidebars. Only happens at this res, anyone have any insight? I'm assuming maybe something to do with the way my TV specifically handles 1200p.
I have a Q90R, but likely the same situation applies to your set. Whenever I set 1200p output, the TV forces PC mode, so it's likely also expecting full range RGB. Do you have the 5X set to limited (16-235) or full (0-255)?
Old_Bailey

Post by Old_Bailey »

TORQUENDB wrote: I have a Q90R, but likely the same situation applies to your set. Whenever I set 1200p output, the TV forces PC mode, so it's likely also expecting full range RGB. Do you have the 5X set to limited (16-235) or full (0-255)?
You're right in that it's forcing pc mode, I can tell by the limited video options in the TV menus. It definitely looks like an RGB range mismatch, but the issue persists when I set the 5x to full, and washes out further on limited. I've tried all combination of TV/5x and it seems unsolvable. What is strange, is that the TV is forced into pc mode at other resolutions too but this problem doesn't manifest. Very frustrating!
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

I don’t have a solution but can sympathise with the problem. My previous 4K Samsung did the same thing at various resolutions including 960p and 1200p. Forced PC mode with various options greyed out with a washed out image. Unfortunately I never solved it and moved on to an LG Oled.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Tried the latest version of Retrotink. I like the new filters quite a bit. Still have the odd issue with 1920x1440p. TV detects the correct resolution, but is displaying a wider aspect ratio than what Mister displays. When Mister displays 1920x1440 it almost looks like the screen is mirroring the CRT TV. MiSTer even syncs better with 1920x1440 than it does with 1080p. 1200p looks very nice with the 5x, though.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

So, about that 1024x768 mode... is Mike still visiting here every once in a while or should I make an account and bother him on Twitter? :oops:
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

SuperSpongo wrote:So, about that 1024x768 mode... is Mike still visiting here every once in a while or should I make an account and bother him on Twitter? :oops:
Mike checks in here on occasion but is waaaayyyyy more active on Twitter.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
SuperSpongo wrote:So, about that 1024x768 mode... is Mike still visiting here every once in a while or should I make an account and bother him on Twitter? :oops:
I really wish he was at least on Facebook. I don't have nor want to have a Twitter account so this forum is the only way I have to ask him questions (short of emailing him directly I suppose).
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:
I really wish he was at least on Facebook. I don't have nor want to have a Twitter account so this forum is the only way I have to ask him questions (short of emailing him directly I suppose).
He's also on Facebook, and he's on Facebook more than here, but definitely on Twitter the most. However, I have seen him recommend using email if you really want to get a hold of him.