RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by ldeveraux »

Galdelico wrote: No it's not available on there, and I'm looking at a private sale. Seller is asking for a good 100 Euros extra, on top of the final price from the US. Very tempted because, of course, conveniency and shorter delivery times, but that price is holding me back still.
Why don't you just order the RT5x directly from Mike? That's what I did a few months ago.
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Galdelico wrote:That sounds great, thank you. My concern was that those shaders would've turned into uneven patterns/artifacts at 1080p fill for example (which sounds to be my preferred way to go, as I don't like the idea of cropping bits, even if they are supposed to rest on the overscan areas of the screen).
Someone correct me if wrong, but I think most shaders will only look correct/artifact free in Over and Under output modes, but not Fill. If you want to avoid both cropping and shader unevenness, you would want to use Under at the cost of not filling the entire picture.
WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

Galdelico wrote:Hi everyone,
as I wish to upgrade from my original OSSC to this device, I'd love to get a major doubt out of my mind before purchasing.

My plan is to keep the PC monitor I'm currently using for my retro setup, at the moment - which is a 1080p one - so the question is: would I be able to get all the PVM/BVM/aperture grille fancy shaders coming with the Retrotink 5x (which I would very much love to use) displayed evenly with anything other than the cropped 1080p video mode?
I'm asking because my monitor - while versatile and well performing in many areas - proved to score pretty poorly with scaling, basically rendering decent looking scanlines in the OSSC 2x optimized modes only (of course they looked even at 1080p cropped too, but I didn't like the effect and never used them).

Thank you in advance! ^_-
Depends on the region (PAL or NTSC), scanlines strength and the output mode.
On my channel I posted which settings should provide scanlines without or with minimum banding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9O9nB ... XksCjhuYmi
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

ldeveraux wrote:
Galdelico wrote: No it's not available on there, and I'm looking at a private sale. Seller is asking for a good 100 Euros extra, on top of the final price from the US. Very tempted because, of course, conveniency and shorter delivery times, but that price is holding me back still.
Why don't you just order the RT5x directly from Mike? That's what I did a few months ago.
Because I'm concerned about how the parcel will be handled by the customs, once it arrives in Italy (other than the fees per se).

@WobblingPixels - I'll look into it, thank you!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Galdelico wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: Why don't you just order the RT5x directly from Mike? That's what I did a few months ago.
Because I'm concerned about how the parcel will be handled by the customs, once it arrives in Italy (other than the fees per se).
I don't see how it would be different coming from the UK as opposed to the US, but OK.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

ldeveraux wrote:
Galdelico wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: Why don't you just order the RT5x directly from Mike? That's what I did a few months ago.
I don't see how it would be different coming from the UK as opposed to the US, but OK.
If this is in reference to getting from VGP they are actually in Ireland now so still in the EU.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

orange808 wrote:I can't praise LG enough for boost mode and it needs to be a part of consumer displays from here to eternity. It's so great, it doesn't even seem real or possible. After all, display manufacturers have been shitting on gamers for decades. They never cared what we needed.

For me, the dream is to eventually have a high refresh display and buy a single external machine to perform all my video game image processing. I want just one frame buffer and one source of all latency. I don't need a display wasting valuable time doing superfluous bullshit.

LG essentially lets their display "check out" and become a "dumb" display terminal. That's exactly what we will want and need. Perfect.
They don't, though? Much of the processing is still enabled, even in the fastest modes.
orange808 wrote:Given that the LG refreshes the screen instantly and a CRT scans out in about 17ms, a full frame buffer is essentially free.
They don't, LG TVs use a rolling refresh like a CRT. It even look a lot like a CRT refresh when using BFI.
orange808 wrote:We could get high quality deinterlacing or tate mode essentially free.
Rotation will always incur a one frame lag penalty. Zero latency high quality deinterlacing is possible, but the really advanced ML-driven stuff probably isn't.
orange808 wrote:At one frame, you see the entire frame at basically the same moment as a CRT (at 60Hz), because the OLED response is instant. We could also use that time to externally perform a rolling scan effect when feeding a bright high refresh display with a progressive and nonrotated signal (that doesn't require any frame buffer or complex video processing).
The pixel response time is indeed pretty fast, but it's already doing a rolling refresh and it isn't drawing the entire frame at once.
orange808 wrote:I love that LG gives us the option to bring our own video processing. I hope it never goes away. Brighter OLEDs, 240Hz refresh, and slightly more powerful FPGAs will make all of it technically possible at 1080p in a decade. We're close if LG leaves boost mode in. The tate mode and deinterlacing will probably be a reality with current LG displays and the OSSC Pro; that's very close.

As long as the total cumulative latency of the game host machine and display is 20ms or under (versus real hardware connected to a CRT), we're golden. It's going to feel snappy and authentic.

Anyhow, LG offering boost mode might have been the most exciting development ever in modern displays. Pardon my gushing.
It reduces the latency a bit. There are many PC monitors that do better than an LG TV in boost mode, even taking pixel response times into account.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

This sounds like a 'discussion' we had earlier where orange808 suggested (if I remember right) that flat panels can scan out pixels faster than a CRT - which isn't true, but it's a belief that can lead to making a lot of other mistakes about display performance
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Guspaz wrote: They don't, LG TVs use a rolling refresh like a CRT. It even look a lot like a CRT refresh when using BFI.
The following demonstrates this quite nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAzEpAiWow
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Does anyone have any good recommendations for converting HDMI to component for use on the 5X Pro?

Please don't recommend the portta converter. That gave crappy results.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Please don't recommend the portta converter. That gave crappy results.
explain yourself, man! No, really, how so ? I've used the portta HDMI to component on so many setups, always with great results. What went wrong on yours ?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Ditto, lets see some proof of these issues with the Portta that you speak of.

1.) Its zero added lag.

2.) It seamlessly converts just about every HDMI resolution Ive thrown at it to component with no visible distortion or other anomalies.

3.) Its affordable AF.

Pics and data to back up your claims or you wont be taken seriously.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Josh128 wrote:... or you wont be taken seriously.
:mrgreen:
We apologise for the inconvenience
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Those generics with the black aluminum enclosure / rounded “roof” are also good.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if the Portta uses the exact same chipset! Lontium LT8511, I believe (Portta HDMI to VGA uses it - the chip provides both RGB and component out)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Explain yourself, man! No, really, how so ? I've used the portta HDMI to component on so many setups, always with great results. What went wrong on yours ?
Image was quivering back and forth left to right and also had some minor but noticeable screen noise. I used the same component cable I use with my component selector box. The 360 going through the selector box and then through that same cable is totally fine. So I don't see why that cable coming straight out of the portta with less things in the chain would be at fault.

You guys have used a portta hdmi to component converter going into the Retrotink 5X with good results?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Absolutely. These are all from the 540p mode via the 5X through a Portta to a 36" HS420 HD Trinitron.

https://i.imgur.com/ftxJJWG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x3A6F74.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YtVENoO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zKFL8cs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oTkKPAQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/90dwfEU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WvDMCK0.png - This one is Time Sleuth>Portta>RT5X>Portta>HD Wega
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Switch/HDMI > portta (HDMI in / component out) > Retrotink 5X > TV (Sony OLED)

Switch set to 720p.

The results = shaky horizontal with screen noise on solid colors
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

You may have a defective Portta unit, or it may be something else in your chain.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any place that does an updated remote overlay that has the new fw2.xx firmware button controls? Retrolabs only have the older one.

Thanks
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I tried two Portta converters as well as the generic metal housing one, and all three of them acted goofy at times with my HDMI modded NES. They'd usually work for a few days and then would go goofy with weird colors or unstable picture, and then I'd have to disconnect power and reconnect, and they'd work. Sort of like a reboot, I guess. Like if they stayed plugged in too long, the internal electronics would get screwy and not know what to do with my HDMI signal. All three would do the same thing with my Carby HDMI out of the Gamecube as well. All this going into the 5X. I tried multiple component cables, HDMI cables... When the Porttas worked, they were great. It's a little annoying having to unplug them every couple of days, but I guess it's a small price to pay.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I tried two Portta converters as well as the generic metal housing one, and all three of them acted goofy at times with my HDMI modded NES. They'd usually work for a few days and then would go goofy with weird colors or unstable picture, and then I'd have to disconnect power and reconnect, and they'd work. Sort of like a reboot, I guess. Like if they stayed plugged in too long, the internal electronics would get screwy and not know what to do with my HDMI signal. All three would do the same thing with my Carby HDMI out of the Gamecube as well. All this going into the 5X. I tried multiple component cables, HDMI cables... When the Porttas worked, they were great. It's a little annoying having to unplug them every couple of days, but I guess it's a small price to pay.
I also have to unplug and replug mine every time I use it with a Carby. I usually won't get a picture at all, but if it does it's unstable horizontally.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I tried two Portta converters as well as the generic metal housing one, and all three of them acted goofy at times with my HDMI modded NES. They'd usually work for a few days and then would go goofy with weird colors or unstable picture, and then I'd have to disconnect power and reconnect, and they'd work. Sort of like a reboot, I guess. Like if they stayed plugged in too long, the internal electronics would get screwy and not know what to do with my HDMI signal. All three would do the same thing with my Carby HDMI out of the Gamecube as well. All this going into the 5X. I tried multiple component cables, HDMI cables... When the Porttas worked, they were great. It's a little annoying having to unplug them every couple of days, but I guess it's a small price to pay.
Yeah mine also does this. Works great until it "crashes"
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Sounds like it's the Carby then.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:Sounds like it's the Carby then.
TooBeaucoup opened by saying it happened with their HDMI NES. Maxtherabbit made no mention of the Carby at all. Don't see how it's the Carby.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Sounds like it's the Carby then.
TooBeaucoup opened by saying it happened with their HDMI NES. Maxtherabbit made no mention of the Carby at all. Don't see how it's the Carby.
You said "I also have to unplug and replug mine every time I use it with a Carby"
maxtherabbit said "Yeah mine also does this. Works great until it "crashes""
and TooBeaucoup started by mentioning it also happened with a Carby.

I took a shot
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Reread TooBeaucoup's post and tell me the first HDMI source they mentioned.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:Reread TooBeaucoup's post and tell me the first HDMI source they mentioned.
Reread where all 3 mentioned the Carby
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, huh? I'm going to assume English isn't your first language and give you a pass.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, huh? I'm going to assume English isn't your first language and give you a pass.
I'm going to assume you have that unending need to be right all the time to bolster your internet points. Believe whatever the bleep you want, this conversation sucks anyway.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Mine actually was with the carby, although I never mentioned that until right now :wink: