RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

Re: Questions about purchasing the Retrotink 5x

Post by azmun »

PearlJammzz wrote: - Yes, it's preferable to use the wall power adapter. Most TV USB ports are undocumented and they vary wildly. Without measuring each one on every television set it's a complete crapshoot if it'll work well or cause issues. Just use the included power supply and you'll be fine.
The unit doesn't come with any power supply but rather micro USB cable. And the official user manual says to supply the RT5X with a source capable of at least 1 A of current. That said, I don't know if given a choice which is a better alternative, a 1A or 2A (5V) charger. Also, what happens if you plug it to a device that supplies only .5A? Will the unit malfunction or not perform altogether? It seems that supplying the device with too little amperage maybe be more damaging than too much? I'm not one to risk on this piece of hardware.
ripburger

Post by ripburger »

azmun wrote:
PearlJammzz wrote: - Yes, it's preferable to use the wall power adapter. Most TV USB ports are undocumented and they vary wildly. Without measuring each one on every television set it's a complete crapshoot if it'll work well or cause issues. Just use the included power supply and you'll be fine.
The unit doesn't come with any power supply but rather micro USB cable. And the official user manual says to supply the RT5X with a source capable of at least 1 A of current. That said, I don't know if given a choice which is a better alternative, a 1A or 2A (5V) charger. Also, what happens if you plug it to a device that supplies only .5A? Will the unit malfunction or not perform altogether? It seems that supplying the device with too little amperage maybe be more damaging than too much? I'm not one to risk on this piece of hardware.
I had done this with the original RetroTink 2X where I just plugged the power directly into one of the USB ports on my TV. It was not providing enough power so things like colours were off. I changed the port to another on the TV and it was fine after that. Currently, I'm just using an older phone charger that's rated as 1A over 5V and that seems to work just fine for my 5X Pro.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

azmun wrote:
Majority of the time when under powering a unit it should be fine. However though it could lead to damage from my understanding.

Having too much is always the way to go as it will only draw the power that it needs.

This applies to amps only not voltage
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

azmun wrote: The unit doesn't come with any power supply but rather micro USB cable. And the official user manual says to supply the RT5X with a source capable of at least 1 A of current. That said, I don't know if given a choice which is a better alternative, a 1A or 2A (5V) charger. Also, what happens if you plug it to a device that supplies only .5A? Will the unit malfunction or not perform altogether? It seems that supplying the device with too little amperage maybe be more damaging than too much? I'm not one to risk on this piece of hardware.
Manual says at least 1 A. I'd trust the figure and not buy a 2 A charger if I had a spare 1 A. Way electronics work is they draw enough power they need from the source. The need can be in flux, such as by turning on or off a feature or upscaling to 1080p versus passthrough. Since the 5V is fixed, the device draws current to meet the need. If your USB game controller needs 200 mW of power, it will draw 5V / 200 mW = 40 mA. If 5X-Pro needs 1 W then it will draw 200 mA.

No harm or benefit in using a 5 A charger on a 1 A device. Is just overkill.

Only way you could run into a problem is by having a 2 port charger that provides 1 A total. One cell phone charging on 1 A...don't use the other port.

Voltage you don't want to screw with. If device takes +5V, don't feed it +9V. Plenty of 5V chips will get damaged at even 6V. Nice thing is every port from the charger will provide 5V since voltage only divides in series.
Jose1980

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by Jose1980 »

Shelcoof wrote:I'm not sure if its me or if the downscaling is broke after the most recent update
Well... the only reason I got this was to downscale to 240p and this is my first time using a devise such this.

When you mentioned the update.. it made me think now that the reason I can't get mine to work might just be that? I just updated it to the newest update and if that were the case I wouldn't have never done it.

I have tried everything I could to try to get it to work on my pvm. Tried with pc, and nintendo switch and nothing. I bought 2 HDMI to component converters, set the retrotink to 240p before hooking everything up and I get nothing. $300 for retrotink, $40 for converters, $800 for the pvm, all this effort and money and can't simply get 240p..

Has anyone have issues connecting pc to this device to your pvm? Am I the only one? Very limited info on this type of setup.. either that or my searching skills suck.
jamesbone

Post by jamesbone »

RocketBelt wrote:Just watched Bob's review and gotta say good job on this Mike.
I'd like to see a bit more coverage on PS2 usage. Bob says the overscan mode works for 480i which sounds ideal for geting rid of PS2 underscan. But he didn't demonstrate 480i overscan mode and I also wonder what happens if you try this with 576i 50hz input. I'm guessing it still works but you lose a bit more top and bottom?
Thank you very much!!! It works!! I still can't open the files... but is progress :D
This is the file with the results but they are all .MSAS .MMDL .MANM .MCAN .MSUR .MPSY and some .dat that i though i can open with Noesis but nope..
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Jose1980 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:I'm not sure if its me or if the downscaling is broke after the most recent update
Well... the only reason I got this was to downscale to 240p and this is my first time using a devise such this.

When you mentioned the update.. it made me think now that the reason I can't get mine to work might just be that? I just updated it to the newest update and if that were the case I wouldn't have never done it.

I have tried everything I could to try to get it to work on my pvm. Tried with pc, and nintendo switch and nothing. I bought 2 HDMI to component converters, set the retrotink to 240p before hooking everything up and I get nothing. $300 for retrotink, $40 for converters, $800 for the pvm, all this effort and money and can't simply get 240p..

Has anyone have issues connecting pc to this device to your pvm? Am I the only one? Very limited info on this type of setup.. either that or my searching skills suck.

Try reinstalling the previous firmware
I didn't do it yet
Going to wait until thst fix it

The GBS-C Does a better job downscaling 408i btw
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Shelcoof wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:

Try reinstalling the previous firmware
I didn't do it yet
Going to wait until thst fix it

The GBS-C Does a better job downscaling 408i btw

I'll try that, and see if it works.

UPDATE!

For anyone else having issues like mine, After installing older firmware version 1.98 my switch works perfectly. I must say I love the way it looks and able to play on my 20M2U pvm it's another level, what a great experience.

I have yet to try it with my PC, so don't know yet.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Jose1980 wrote:

UPDATE!

For anyone else having issues like mine, After installing older firmware version 1.98 my switch works perfectly. I must say I love the way it looks and able to play on my 20M2U pvm it's another level, what a great experience.

I'm not sure if you've noticed this but a small portion of the top and bottom of the screen is missing when down scaling from 720p.

The down scaling is most optimal when using a 720p signal from an HD source as it retains a lot of the details.

I'm having a really hard time as I use the Tink X5 to play shmups on my CRT TV and the missing video is a deal breaker :cry:

So I'm hoping in the next firmware update it can be addressed.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Shelcoof wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:

UPDATE!

I'm not sure if you've noticed this but a small portion of the top and bottom of the screen is missing when down scaling from 720p.

The down scaling is most optimal when using a 720p signal from an HD source as it retains a lot of the details.

I'm having a really hard time as I use the Tink X5 to play shmups on my CRT TV and the missing video is a deal breaker :cry:

So I'm hoping in the next firmware update it can be addressed.
You play the shmups in tate mode? I haven't tried that yet l. I just play them on normal and I go to options and just adjust the screen. I do that with alot of side scrollers.

Also, on games that are not 4:3 like, metroid dread or blasphemous on my PVM I just hit the 16:9 button on the pvm and are able to play them like they are meant to and man it looks good. Yeah I get the black bars on top an bottom but doesn't bother me. I'm really having a blast with this, I freaking love it, very happy with results.
I have an LG OLED TV and have also tried my gamecube with the retrotink it looks really good but, I don't know I don't have the same feeling when I play on crt. It feels.. fake if that makes sense.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Do you think he will ever make updates to improve those issues you speak off? Cause that would be awesome.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Jose1980 wrote:
You play the shmups in tate mode? I haven't tried that yet l. I just play them on normal and I go to options and just adjust the screen. I do that with alot of side scrollers.

Also, on games that are not 4:3 like, metroid dread or blasphemous on my PVM I just hit the 16:9 button on the pvm and are able to play them like they are meant to and man it looks good. Yeah I get the black bars on top an bottom but doesn't bother me. I'm really having a blast with this, I freaking love it, very happy with results.
I have an LG OLED TV and have also tried my gamecube with the retrotink it looks really good but, I don't know I don't have the same feeling when I play on crt. It feels.. fake if that makes sense.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Do you think he will ever make updates to improve those issues you speak off? Cause that would be awesome.
I do play in TATE
That was the main reason why I got the Tink X5
I only downscale games that originally 240p or 240p inspired if you know what I mean

If I was to play a wide screen HD game on a CRT
I will play it on a VGA CRT through the Extron IN1508
That device introduces about 1 frame of lag but worth it

If not I play on my 955 Sony HD CRT

I'm sure he'll improve the downscaling through firmware updates
It can't be left like this forever
I'm sure he has a lot on his plate with other features
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Shelcoof wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:

I do play in TATE
That was the main reason why I got the Tink X5
I only downscale games that originally 240p or 240p inspired if you know what I mean

If I was to play a wide screen HD game on a CRT
I will play it on a VGA CRT through the Extron IN1508
That device introduces about 1 frame of lag but worth it

If not I play on my 955 Sony HD CRT

I'm sure he'll improve the downscaling through firmware updates
It can't be left like this forever
I'm sure he has a lot on his plate with other features
Ah okay I see.. yes, yes you right man that's the way it should be played, that was the main reason I also got the retrotink for mostly shmups. Thank you for the heads up on that issue I guess I'll hold up on playing on tate mode Until updates get better.

Wow man, you got some bad ass equipment. I don't know as much as you do but, you sure got some cool stuff to play with. Very cool.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Jose1980 wrote:Well... the only reason I got this was to downscale to 240p and this is my first time using a devise such this.

I too am keen to get my HDMI to component converter (Startech) to good use. Sadly, I've yet to succeed. Strange that the latest firmware does not cooperate with 240p downscaling as I too may have to revert to the earlier firmware. Please do let us know if you PC will correctly output to your PVM via firmware 1.98. I intend to run a similar setup. This chain/process is not so straightforward. The source of HDMI (to convert) can be 240p (via retrotink 5x downscale function), 480p, 720p and 1080p. And the output we want (via component) can vary from 240p, 480p, 720p and 1080p although what we usually want is 240p.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

azmun wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:Well... the only reason I got this was to downscale to 240p and this is my first time using a devise such this.

I too am keen to get my HDMI to component converter (Startech) to good use. Sadly, I've yet to succeed. Strange that the latest firmware does not cooperate with 240p downscaling as I too may have to revert to the earlier firmware. Please do let us know if you PC will correctly output to your PVM via firmware 1.98. I intend to run a similar setup. This chain/process is not so straightforward. The source of HDMI (to convert) can be 240p (via retrotink 5x downscale function), 480p, 720p and 1080p. And the output we want (via component) can vary from 240p, 480p, 720p and 1080p although what we usually want is 240p.
I will try that for you later man, right after work today and let you know. I suppose I should switch to 720p on my display setting correct? And not 1080. Meh, I'll try either that , or 480.

Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question, but does it matter what video card I have? I have a radeon 6900XT MSI GAMING X TRIO.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Jose1980 wrote:
Ah okay I see.. yes, yes you right man that's the way it should be played, that was the main reason I also got the retrotink for mostly shmups. Thank you for the heads up on that issue I guess I'll hold up on playing on tate mode Until updates get better.

Wow man, you got some bad ass equipment. I don't know as much as you do but, you sure got some cool stuff to play with. Very cool.
I don't know very much either, just basic stuff floating around.
Majority of the time the info is floating around on msg boards and chat shared by like minded people :D

In terms of equipment nothing special about anything. I do love my Sony FS120s. They are SD sets but I'm in love with them lol. No PVM sadly but in this day and age we make do with what we have.

My VGA CRTs are probably the closest things I have to a PVM when using scanlines.

The Sony 955 HD CRT probably the harder set to come by as you'd break your back carrying it lol.
When adjusted right at 1080i there is zero lag. 720p about 1 frame and the rest a few frames of lag I can't remember.

The 1080i doesn't bother me too much as it produces a really good image. The zero lag is what makes it really shine for me as I'm really picky about lag lol

But like I was saying a few msgs back. If your looking to downscale 480i/480p at all the GBS-C does the job quit nicely
So far better than the Tink 5X
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Ah, good stuff lol you right, you get good info out there. I'm still learning. Love all this stuff. Changing the subject, sometimes I feel as I get to into it and go through all this trouble when I have all these crt tvs laying around, I have 8",13",20" and I as k my self... why not just hook up my old consoles to composite and play them like I used to? And why make pc and HD consoles backwards?? Lol I mean.. back then it looked awesome . Why am I chasing this glory way of playing. I don't know.. lol

But anyways, to you mentioning gbs-c. .. see that's the problem, you can't find that anywhere, they don't sell it anywhere and the last one I saw on ebay was 400+ shipping. Yes, there are a few that, can be modified and cheaply but my skills are not there and I think it's more involved software wise.. retrotink is plug and play.. although.. I did pay 300 for it should of dished out the extra 150+ shipping Hahaha with the retro I feel safer, Mike chi seems to update stuff on it and seems more reliable in that sense.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Jose1980 wrote:Ah, good stuff lol you right, you get good info out there. I'm still learning. Love all this stuff. Changing the subject, sometimes I feel as I get to into it and go through all this trouble when I have all these crt tvs laying around, I have 8",13",20" and I as k my self... why not just hook up my old consoles to composite and play them like I used to? And why make pc and HD consoles backwards?? Lol I mean.. back then it looked awesome . Why am I chasing this glory way of playing. I don't know.. lol

But anyways, to you mentioning gbs-c. .. see that's the problem, you can't find that anywhere, they don't sell it anywhere and the last one I saw on ebay was 400+ shipping. Yes, there are a few that, can be modified and cheaply but my skills are not there and I think it's more involved software wise.. retrotink is plug and play.. although.. I did pay 300 for it should of dished out the extra 150+ shipping Hahaha with the retro I feel safer, Mike chi seems to update stuff on it and seems more reliable in that sense.
For set-up its up to the individual preference. I personally like to enjoy 240/480i content on a CRT. If its HD content it needs to be in HD on a CRT lol

This whole 240p scanline stuff isn't my cup of tea for HD games because you lose a lot of the details when downscaling.

Dreamcast for me I enjoy at 480p unless its a port of a game that is 240p
Or if playing on a SD TV I'd rather 240p than 480i that is when the downscaling comes into play

So play however you like.

About the GBS-C your probably thinking about the GBS-AIO or something. GBS-C you can make it yourself
I'm not sure where your located but I purchased one from a seller on ebay and there actually was a seller on here who produced them as well.

If your interested I can share the link with you just PM me
There are a few slight details I need to let you know prior to you ordering or you yourself can talk about it with the seller.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Jose1980 wrote:
azmun wrote:

I will try that for you later man, right after work today and let you know. I suppose I should switch to 720p on my display setting correct? And not 1080. Meh, I'll try either that , or 480.

Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question, but does it matter what video card I have? I have a radeon 6900XT MSI GAMING X TRIO.

Alright I have tried it and I can't get anything clear out of my pc.. I don't know... maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get a clear image whats so ever. Tried 720p, and 1080P and nothing I thought there would be 480p but I don't see it.
This is as far as i got, but it wasn't stable.

azmun

Post by azmun »

Jose1980 wrote:Alright I have tried it and I can't get anything clear out of my pc.. I don't know... maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get a clear image whats so ever. Tried 720p, and 1080P and nothing I thought there would be 480p but I don't see it.
It begs the question, how did it work out for your Switch connection (i.e. what were your settings)?
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

azmun wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:Alright I have tried it and I can't get anything clear out of my pc.. I don't know... maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get a clear image whats so ever. Tried 720p, and 1080P and nothing I thought there would be 480p but I don't see it.
It begs the question, how did it work out for your Switch connection (i.e. what were your settings)?
On the switch it worked on 720p, and 480p when I set it manually on the settings.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Jose1980 wrote:On the switch it worked on 720p, and 480p when I set it manually on the settings.
So basically, your original source is both 720p and 480p which gets converted to 240p using RT5XP. And from 240p to 240p via your HDMI-Component converter displayed on PVM. And difference between the two settings (480p and 720p) are identical or is one noticeable better than the other?
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

azmun wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:On the switch it worked on 720p, and 480p when I set it manually on the settings.
So basically, your original source is both 720p and 480p which gets converted to 240p using RT5XP. And from 240p to 240p via your HDMI-Component converter displayed on PVM. And difference between the two settings (480p and 720p) are identical or is one noticeable better than the other?

Correct.

From what I can see 720p looks better.

Update:

now the switch is acting up like the pc image i posted before. After testing and messing around I strongly believe it's those damn HDMI to component converters. The retrotink works fine on the OLED tv soo.. in the end, it would of worked good on pc but these converters are no good or cables. I'll have to try another brand and maybe some better cables.

That's what I get for buying cheap $20.00 converters....SOB

Also, anybody want to trade my retrotink for 240p only downscaler? Lol I just want a plug and play dammit
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Im a bit confused. What exactly are you trying to downscale to 240p?
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Josh128 wrote:Im a bit confused. What exactly are you trying to downscale to 240p?
Nintendo switch and PC and PS4 on ps4 I have battle garegga and ketzui I want to play on pvm
I want to play shmup games and side scroller beat'em up on my pvm at 240p. I saw it in my life I'm gaming and want to duplicate it.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Jose1980 wrote:
Josh128 wrote:Im a bit confused. What exactly are you trying to downscale to 240p?
Nintendo switch and PC and PS4 on ps4 I have battle garegga and ketzui I want to play on pvm
I want to play shmup games and side scroller beat'em up on my pvm at 240p. I saw it in my life I'm gaming and want to duplicate it.
Hi Jose,

Don't let people question your preferences or use case, here. Lots of us understand what you want and why you like it.

While not easy or plug and play, you might look into a Corio2 (maybe a C2 750) machine. That is, if you're comfortable with lots of effort, some latency, and no true frame lock. It's not plug and play, but it should accept and downscale lots of different input signals. I've managed to downscale 720p and 480p to 240p, but it's not particularly easy to operate and program C2 machines. With all of that said , the C2 machines got popular for a reason: they do a good job. The "DVI" pinout input and output handle both digital and analog signals. No ridiculous external ADC, DAC, color space, or sync processing bullshit.

Sometimes, progressive scan or HD content may also look better as 480i on a CRT. For that, you might try an Extron scan converter.

Good luck.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

orange808 wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:
Hi Jose,

Don't let people question your preferences or use case, here. Lots of us understand what you want and why you like it.

While not easy or plug and play, you might look into a Corio2 (maybe a C2 750) machine. That is, if you're comfortable with lots of effort, some latency, and no true frame lock. It's not plug and play, but it should accept and downscale lots of different input signals. I've managed to downscale 720p and 480p to 240p, but it's not particularly easy to operate and program C2 machines. With all of that said , the C2 machines got popular for a reason: they do a good job. The "DVI" pinout input and output handle both digital and analog signals. No ridiculous external ADC, DAC, color space, or sync processing bullshit.

Sometimes, progressive scan or HD content may also look better as 480i on a CRT. For that, you might try an Extron scan converter.

Good luck.
Wow, you are cool man thank you. You know exactly what I'm trying to do you are very good with words and know how to explain it.

I know those you speak of, they seem very complex. And I appreciate the advice on them, I really do. I have a very nice member here who recommended the gbsc. I have found one on ebay and think I will try that, he's advice has encouraged me just like yourself have to try it out. I HAVE a lot some of stuff to learn on it but, what the hell.

First, I will try some better converters and see how that goes, then try that gbsc thingy, then if I'm lucky I will try to find those that you mention they seem to be rare.

On another note.. I have another thread here on these forms with a modded ps2 and Ibara graphics issues I'm dealing with. I hate this hobby sometimes. Haha it is what it is, trial and error.

Oh? Almost forgot... to those that are wondering what converters I bought here is link so you don't buy them. (If that is the issue of course)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8FIQ ... asin_title
azmun

Post by azmun »

Jose1980 wrote:That's what I get for buying cheap $20.00 converters....SOB
I feel you man. I myself have grown skeptical of these HDMI-component converters. The one you linked (Portta) actually comes highly recommended here. And the one I have didn't come cheap (retails for over $200) - https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-vi ... s/hdmi2vga but it hasn't performed up to what I was expecting or hoping. So yeah, the whole conversion process needs a lot of work (or explanation) and I don't understand how the community seems to be fine with these (HDMI-component) converters. In general, I'd argue DAC have long way to go compared to the other way around (ADC).
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

azmun wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:That's what I get for buying cheap $20.00 converters....SOB
I feel you man. I myself have grown skeptical of these HDMI-component converters. The one you linked (Portta) actually comes highly recommended here. And the one I have didn't come cheap (retails for over $200) - https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-vi ... s/hdmi2vga but it hasn't performed up to what I was expecting or hoping. So yeah, the whole conversion process needs a lot of work (or explanation) and I don't understand how the community seems to be fine with these (HDMI-component) converters. In general, I'd argue DAC have long way to go compared to the other way around (ADC).
Ayy ya yayyy.. you weren't kidding. It is pricey! and I would need 2!! Thank you! By the way for that link.

Hmm.. didn't know that people recommended that converter here. I just went for it.

... maybe it can be something else? Maybe before I buy another converter I'll download older drivers to retrotink again. Yeah, I'll try that! and let you guys know.
Maybe im not trying hard enough. I mean... they were working before!! I'll keep messing with it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I have a Portta that works great, though I use it exclusively for my Gamecube with HDMI out to get it connected to my OSSC. So that keeps it at 480i/480p only. Maybe they only have problems with higher res content? Forgive me for not reading the last page very thoroughly, maybe you all have problems with any resolution.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

bobrocks95 wrote:I have a Portta that works great, though I use it exclusively for my Gamecube with HDMI out to get it connected to my OSSC. So that keeps it at 480i/480p only. Maybe they only have problems with higher res content? Forgive me for not reading the last page very thoroughly, maybe you all have problems with any resolution.
I was just going to update , so I'll tell you and everyone else...

GOOD NEWS!!! I got it to work again! So the converters do work!!!

So, Before I tried another update... I disconnected everything, and re-connect everything back. I also, took one of the power plugs from the converter that i moved to another power strip and plugged it in the same power strip the other converter plug was in. Not sure that had anything to do with it but it was the only thing that I can remember that was different that I changed. It could of been just bad connections.

However, I'm not going to test if pc works. I'm nervous about messing this up again. Lol