RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by azmun »

kitty666cats wrote:Anyone here tried using theirs on passthrough w/ a composite or svid source & HDMI to component on the output? Like, on a NTSC consumer CRT for instance. Would be fun to see how it fares!
This is something I've been wanting to do for the longest time since I got the unit late last year. It's still been a failed experiment as I haven't succeeded. My first test was to run MAME from my PC to my consumer set via 240p downscale. I bought a digital to analog (HDMI to VGA or component) Startech converter precisely for this. Problem seems to be the source material to be converted to 240p. I don't know exactly how the Retro TINK 5x does this downscale function and what are its limitations. For example, typically we'd be interested to convert 480i, 480p or 720p (or 768p) games to 15khz 240p. Unfortunately, my television struggles to get a proper video output.
strayan

Post by strayan »

The 5x (on some older/?experimental firmwares) will downscale 720p and 480p to 240p. No other resolutions were supported to my knowledge.

It drops 2/3 lines from 720p sources and every other line from 480p sources.

The HDMI to Component DAC you use must also have support for 240p signals (ymmv): viewtopic.php?p=1441618#p1441618
kitty666cats wrote:Anyone here tried using theirs on passthrough w/ a composite or svid source & HDMI to component on the output? Like, on a NTSC consumer CRT for instance. Would be fun to see how it fares!
So you want to digitise a 15khz composite video and or svideo signal purely to transcode to back Component video? Does your TV not have a composite or svideo input?

There is no 15khz passthrough on the 5x.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

No, I don’t own one. Just curious, for funsies, to see how it fares (or, would have, if it had 15kHz passthrough) with eliminating dot-crawl/how it compares against the comb filtering of the composite inputs on various old consumer CRTs :)
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

For the question of 240p downscaling, yes, it indeed can do that. I didnt show a passthru test here but Im almost certain that I tried it. If its not in the newest firmware, it was definitely included in some of the legacy ones.

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

So a 240p input is "downscaled" to 240p with results identical to passthrough? There's no 480i output mode, so there's no way to "passthrough" that kind of 15khz input.

Maybe someone remembers the comments Mike wrote at some point about the quality of composite and s-video handling on the 5X compared to previous 2X models. I vaguely remember that it's supposed to be as good if not slightly better than the 2X-Pro, but maybe still not as good as the 2X-Multiformat which appeared to be the best (though it used a part that became unavailable?)

I don't have a 2X-Pro to compare, but what I know for sure is that the 2X-M pretty much destroys any original NTSC inputs I've seen on a TV, monitor, input card, external processor, etc. to the point that I'd never use any of those as long as RGB/YPbPr inputs are available as well. Would be cool if the 5X could somehow support 15khz passthrough.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Guspaz wrote:Bob did his latency testing with a 60Hz signal and BFI on high (120 Hz) which kind of invalidates the results. 120 Hz BFI on 60 Hz content (double strobe) is not a desirable use case due to the ghosting (double image) it produces.
This is incorrect in my experience. 60hz content on high will run at 120hz where the additional frames (double the frames) will be filled with with a full black frame so you get zero double image ghosting with 60hz content. 30hz, however, you can definitely see it. That's how it appears to work on the CX at least. I haven't tried any weird middle of the road frame rates like 75 or anything so not sure there. Usually for anything north of 60 I use VRR and no one makes a variable BFI so it ends up being VRR or BFI and in those situations VRR wins out.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

When I have a 60Hz signal running a 30 Hz game, on the C1, with BFI set to medium, I see two images. With BFI set to high, I see four images. RTINGs backs this up in their review, that forcing 120 Hz BFI on a 60 Hz signal simply double strobes instead of inserting an extra black frame:
Spoiler
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

For capture purposes the lack of 480i passthrough is annoying.

My laserdisc capture attempts with the Retrotink5X didn't work out (thanks for the advice btw), not because of that but because of some other issues with my capture setup. Eventually I ended up capturing laserdisc player > VSX-LX52 (AVR that from my comparisons looked to have a decent comb filter) > component > blackmagic capture card. Still had to use weave when capturing it via OBS (I know, not a good tool, but one I'm familiar with) to convert it back to interlaced after capture. Well for two of the laserdiscs I wanted to capture anyway, the third was 29.97p.

Also hoping for a stable firmware release soon. 1440p@60hz and 2880x2160@30hz both sound really nice. I only have the Retrotink5X connected to my PS2 though, I'm not sure of the ratio of 30 FPS games, but I've run into quite a few.

But I don't particularly want to use Discord, or use a feature before it's deemed "safe" to use. Then again 1080p output was dropped from PS2 GSM over safety concerns and I used that a lot.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

They're official now, check the changelog on the last page.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

9 days ago? I was sure I had checked more recently... Really should go back to watching RetroRGB's weekly roundups.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

ZellSF wrote:For capture purposes the lack of 480i passthrough is annoying.

My laserdisc capture attempts with the Retrotink5X didn't work out (thanks for the advice btw), not because of that but because of some other issues with my capture setup. Eventually I ended up capturing laserdisc player > VSX-LX52 (AVR that from my comparisons looked to have a decent comb filter) > component > blackmagic capture card. Still had to use weave when capturing it via OBS (I know, not a good tool, but one I'm familiar with) to convert it back to interlaced after capture. Well for two of the laserdiscs I wanted to capture anyway, the third was 29.97p.
The RT5X can output via weave too, which can be reconstructed on the PC, but the 3D comb filter in ASICs will still outperform what's possible in an FPGA when it comes to video content. Of course you can always get a laserdisc player with a good built-in comb filter, or use an external comb filter.
ZellSF wrote:Also hoping for a stable firmware release soon. 1440p@60hz and 2880x2160@30hz both sound really nice. I only have the Retrotink5X connected to my PS2 though, I'm not sure of the ratio of 30 FPS games, but I've run into quite a few.

But I don't particularly want to use Discord, or use a feature before it's deemed "safe" to use. Then again 1080p output was dropped from PS2 GSM over safety concerns and I used that a lot.
It was already pointed out that the 2.71 stable firmware release has been out for a bit now, but it should be noted that the output resolution is 3840x2160@24/25/30 and not 2880x2160. Of course, 4K30 is pushing the RT5X hardware to the extreme and isn't guaranteed to work on all units, hence why it's hidden away in the advanced menu and labeled as experimental/unsupported.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

^ Even on Laserdisc players with Svid output, it’s usually best to leave comb filtering to something else; there’s all sorts of standalone devices & DVD recorders set to passthru that excel at LD filtering.

~~~~

Does anyone have some comparison shots of a 720p->240p downscale & a 480p->240p downscale of the same source content? That would be interesting to see, especially on a source image that has a little bit of text.

~~~~

Lastly, for anyone interested in using the RT5X on a higher-end PC CRT at 2560x1440p - I saw this HDMI to VGA when I was browsing around at Micro Center the other week & noticed the packaging advertised support for said resolution. I didn’t pick it up that day, but certainly made note of it as almost every single one out there claims they top out at 1080p (this isn’t always the case, many of them support higher bandwidth than this, though DP to VGAs generally see to go way higher).

It’s this, they also make one without audio. Can find them cheaper on other sites like eBay, too
https://www.shopqvs.com/store/p/4017.aspx

Maybe worth a look for someone!
Last edited by kitty666cats on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Hmmm, I could get it and if it doesn't actually support 1440p, just return it
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Guspaz wrote: The RT5X can output via weave too, which can be reconstructed on the PC, but the 3D comb filter in ASICs will still outperform what's possible in an FPGA when it comes to video content. Of course you can always get a laserdisc player with a good built-in comb filter, or use an external comb filter.
That was the original plan. Because I thought the Retrotink5X could do 1:1 scaling in other resolutions (windowbox 480p in a 720p output). But since it can't and my capture card doesn't support 480p I ended up using the VSX-LX52 as a comb filter instead. It's not optimal (nothing about my setup for this is optimal) but the end result looks good enough to me. At least for a 0$ budget solution.
Guspaz wrote: It was already pointed out that the 2.71 stable firmware release has been out for a bit now, but it should be noted that the output resolution is 3840x2160@24/25/30 and not 2880x2160. Of course, 4K30 is pushing the RT5X hardware to the extreme and isn't guaranteed to work on all units, hence why it's hidden away in the advanced menu and labeled as experimental/unsupported.
I haven't had time to test yet, but that confused me. Why does 4K30 require framelock, is is just another attempt to hide it because it's so demanding? Wouldn't 2880x2160 be significantly less demanding (even if it's less compatible)?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

2880x2160 at 60Hz would require way more bandwidth than 2160p30 or 1440p60, it's just too far beyond the hardware's capabilities, and even if it did work on some units, display compatibility would be poor.

Even ignoring the blanking timing, you can do the math and see that 2880x2160 at 60 Hz would require 150% the pixel clock as 3840x2160 at 30Hz. It's waaaay beyond what the HDMI transmitter is rated for.

I don't think that it's so much 4K30 requires framelock as it is 4K24/25 requires buffering, because you can sync 30 Hz output to a 60 Hz source, but you can't do the same for 24 or 25. I'm speculating on this point, though.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Not sure where you got 60hz from. I meant 2880x2160@30hz.
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

I recently installed the 2.71 update and have to say I'm a little disappointed.

The new high resolutions hardly bring any visible added value compared to 1200p/1440p. On the contrary, the reduced frame rate of 24-30Hz makes the games look much worse. Is optional, I know, but I still question the sense of such features?

Also, the biggest shortcoming, the 480p output has not been improved, or rather still uses a much too high horizontal resolution, making this output signal incompatible with many other HDMI devices (the DVDO VP50 does not recognize this signal, for example).

On the other hand, I like that you can now define a startup profile, and that H-sampling is now also possible with composite and S-Video sources.

But what I would like most is that the RT5X would remember the last settings based on the respective connection and signal type and apply them automatically. Creating profiles is a nice touch, but since you can't name them (and there are only 10 slots available), switching them is rather a hassle. This is a feature I really like about my DVDO VP50, which is why it's still part of my standard setup. Based on the currently used video port, it automatically saves all image and scaling settings per video signal type, and also automatically reloads them when the corresponding signal is fed to the respective port. And should that still not fit 100%, up to 10 presets can also be stored here. Would be really great if this feature would find its way into future RT5X updates.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Mr.Ash wrote:The new high resolutions hardly bring any visible added value compared to 1200p/1440p. On the contrary, the reduced frame rate of 24-30Hz makes the games look much worse. Is optional, I know, but I still question the sense of such features?

But what I would like most is that the RT5X would remember the last settings based on the respective connection and signal type and apply them automatically. Creating profiles is a nice touch, but since you can't name them (and there are only 10 slots available), switching them is rather a hassle. This is a feature I really like about my DVDO VP50, which is why it's still part of my standard setup. Based on the currently used video port, it automatically saves all image and scaling settings per video signal type, and also automatically reloads them when the corresponding signal is fed to the respective port. And should that still not fit 100%, up to 10 presets can also be stored here. Would be really great if this feature would find its way into future RT5X updates.
As far as the higher resolutions go, you're correct as far as image quality goes. I'd say most would be hard-pressed to see a difference at anything above 1200p. The higher resolutions are mostly beneficial for scanline filters. Once you get up to 4k, scanlines can start looking pretty spot on to a genuine CRT. And yeah, the 4k is pretty worthless at this point, other than for taking screenshots if you're into that sort of thing. I think Mike only implemented 4k to see if it could be done, which is why it's an optional experimental feature.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

4K30 could look good for 30fps locked games, right? Or are you going to get a mismatch on the frame rate or double strobing on a 60Hz panel or some other oddities?

Also does the 1440p mode now support 720p linedoubling from a PS3 or Xbox 360? Forget if this was mentioned or not.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

bobrocks95 wrote:4K30 could look good for 30fps locked games, right? Or are you going to get a mismatch on the frame rate or double strobing on a 60Hz panel or some other oddities?

Also does the 1440p mode now support 720p linedoubling from a PS3 or Xbox 360? Forget if this was mentioned or not.
Yup. 720 can now be scaled to 1440.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The 4K mode is mostly for games that run at those framerates, in which case there shouldn't be a framerate drawback to using that mode. Definitely a per game setting, but assuming it works well (I haven't tested yet) I wouldn't call it useless.
Mr.Ash wrote: Also, the biggest shortcoming, the 480p output has not been improved, or rather still uses a much too high horizontal resolution, making this output signal incompatible with many other HDMI devices (the DVDO VP50 does not recognize this signal, for example).
I thought it was weird that my Blackmagic capture card wouldn't recognize 480p output from the Retrotink5X. I mean even if it did the capture card would've mangled the image, but it should have returned something.

Upgrading from original consoles / OSSC to MiSTer / Retrotink5X I was expecting both devices to output 100% standard signals since they both have full scalers and both of them gave me weird video compatibility issues.
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

ZellSF wrote:I thought it was weird that my Blackmagic capture card wouldn't recognize 480p output from the Retrotink5X. I mean even if it did the capture card would've mangled the image, but it should have returned something.

Upgrading from original consoles / OSSC to MiSTer / Retrotink5X I was expecting both devices to output 100% standard signals since they both have full scalers and both of them gave me weird video compatibility issues.
As far as I know, the increased horizontal resolution of the 480p image output was made exactly for the purpose of video capturing devices. However, as you note, such video capturing devices also seem to have problems with this kind of 480p signals. So I'm wondering about the purpose of a higher horizontal resolution for 480p output? Why not just a 100% compatible standard 480p/576p image output? Mike?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Mr.Ash wrote:I recently installed the 2.71 update and have to say I'm a little disappointed.

The new high resolutions hardly bring any visible added value compared to 1200p/1440p. On the contrary, the reduced frame rate of 24-30Hz makes the games look much worse. Is optional, I know, but I still question the sense of such features?
I think it's a bit unfair to be disappointed by a free update that delivers functionality beyond what was ever originally promised because the functionality isn't specifically useful to you.
Mr.Ash wrote:Also, the biggest shortcoming, the 480p output has not been improved, or rather still uses a much too high horizontal resolution, making this output signal incompatible with many other HDMI devices (the DVDO VP50 does not recognize this signal, for example).
The 480p mode is meant for analog output. DACs to PC CRTs, for example. If you need to capture the RT5X output, 1080p under is the best option, and should be supported by any HD capture card.
bobrocks95 wrote:4K30 could look good for 30fps locked games, right? Or are you going to get a mismatch on the frame rate or double strobing on a 60Hz panel or some other oddities?
ZellSF wrote:The 4K mode is mostly for games that run at those framerates, in which case there shouldn't be a framerate drawback to using that mode. Definitely a per game setting, but assuming it works well (I haven't tested yet) I wouldn't call it useless.
4K30 is the only 4K mode actually usable for games, because 4K24 doesn't have correct frame pacing when converting the 60Hz input to the 24Hz output. 4K25 might be useful with a 50Hz signal, I'm not sure how well that works, and I'm not sure if the RT5X will let you framelock 4K to a 50 Hz input (I haven't tried).

There won't be any side effects from 4K30 on the TV's side, really (well, on any good TV), but it's pushing the RT5X really hard (won't work on all units) and it will add a bunch of extra lag compared to the 60Hz output modes since it's doubling the frame times for output and even for 30 FPS locked games, the RT5X may output the second duplicate frame the console output.

However, if Mike hadn't seen how good the masks look at 4K, we wouldn't be getting the RT4K, so...
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

Guspaz wrote:I think it's a bit unfair to be disappointed by a free update that delivers functionality beyond what was ever originally promised because the functionality isn't specifically useful to you.

The 480p mode is meant for analog output. DACs to PC CRTs, for example. If you need to capture the RT5X output, 1080p under is the best option, and should be supported by any HD capture card.
I'm not complaining directly, but I just think that resources have been used questionably here.

On the one hand, you take the time for gimmicks in the form of unintended output resolutions, on the other hand, you leave a hardly compatible 480p output resolution as it is, instead of standardizing it to be as 100% compatible as possible.

I have other devices besides the DVDO VP50 that can't handle the 480p output signal of the RT5X. One would expect the highest compatibility from this signal, but the exact opposite is the case.

I simply think that the development should first of all take care of existing problems or inadequacies before devoting itself to any gimmicks.

Whether it's free or not, you can be a bit disappointed about that in my opinion.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Perhaps it is useful to keep in mind that the TINK5X (emphasis on *5*) was always designed to be a 1080p+ scaler with 1080p being the 'compatible' mode.

1440 (720 pixel repeat 2) is still a standard CEA mode (14) and 480p was added to really only added to drive VGA monitors via a HDMI DAC. Given that none of the advanced functions of the RT5X work in 480p (and often not even 720p), this mode may also be removed in future updates to accommodate new features.

Understand that people have different needs. A given direction may not be useful to *you* but it is probably useful to *someone else*. Having said that, everyone is equally important, but in a world of hard constraints (i.e., time, hardware resources, etc): there is no way to realistically keep everyone happy.

I'm not sure I would also call any one feature a "gimmick". I mean I personally might have considered 240p downscaling a "gimmick" but it was legitimately a useful feature for people, and from the sounds of it it, they would've preferred 480p output to be axed instead of 240p, if the choice came to it. Here, the lesson I learned is that what is a "gimmick" to me, is a "key feature" for someone else.

And again with no offense or disrespect to you, a bigger thing on my priority list would be to revitalize downscaling with 480i output mode (that's personally far more useful to me).
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

Thanks @mikechi2 for your statement, I look forward to future updates.

What I personally feel is simply important is to have as much compatibility as possible in video output signals, whether 240p, 480p, 480i, etc.

Especially in the case of 480p it's a bit disappointing when some well known devices like the DVDO's don't recognize it (I'd rather expect this from "special resolutions" like 1440p & co.). Also, the statement that this is intended for analog output is not really satisfactory, because there is only a digital image output with HDMI. Why then output a video signal adapted for analog, which can only be used effectively via HDMI to VGA converter?

However, 480i video output would also be quite OK, as long as this adheres to the standard and is therefore almost 100% compatible with other devices. Of course, there will always be the one device that is not compatible for some reason.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Mr.Ash wrote:Thanks @mikechi2 for your statement, I look forward to future updates.

What I personally feel is simply important is to have as much compatibility as possible in video output signals, whether 240p, 480p, 480i, etc.

Especially in the case of 480p it's a bit disappointing when some well known devices like the DVDO's don't recognize it (I'd rather expect this from "special resolutions" like 1440p & co.). Also, the statement that this is intended for analog output is not really satisfactory, because there is only a digital image output with HDMI. Why then output a video signal adapted for analog, which can only be used effectively via HDMI to VGA converter?

However, 480i video output would also be quite OK, as long as this adheres to the standard and is therefore almost 100% compatible with other devices. Of course, there will always be the one device that is not compatible for some reason.
Now I'm being snarky, so apologies in advance, but the DVDO is a professional device that literally costs 6-8x times the RT5X. Why can't it support CEA mode-14? The RT5X on the other hand is just a little video game doodad made by one guy in a garage who plays fast and loose with rules to try and squeeze some performance out of obsolete video game consoles. :P

And once again, the intended use case for 480p is driving a VGA monitor (and with even this being a tertiary use case for the RT5X's primary purpose of 1080p+ scaling). So unless you have one of those rare DVI CRTs, you kind of need some sort of HDMI to analog converter... In any case, 480p is likely on the chopping block at this stage to make room for other stuff.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If you want 480p output so badly, why not buy the more than 3x cheaper Retrotink 2x, designed with exclusively 480p output in mind?
Mr.Ash

Post by Mr.Ash »

mikechi2 wrote:And once again, the intended use case for 480p is driving a VGA monitor (and with even this being a tertiary use case for the RT5X's primary purpose of 1080p+ scaling). So unless you have one of those rare DVI CRTs, you kind of need some sort of HDMI to analog converter... In any case, 480p is likely on the chopping block at this stage to make room for other stuff.
Regarding CRT, I have two JVC DTV 1710 monitors with RGBHV and SCART inputs. And now guess what I use for an HDMI to RGBHV converter? Exactly, a DVDO VP50 :P

Of course I could now use another HDMI to RGBHV or YPbPr converter between RT5X and DVDO. However, I'm not a fan of combining dozens of devices for this and that, because each additional device not only complicates the entire setup, but also represents a potential source of error. Therefore, I prefer as few devices as possible with direct connections in between.

Since the DVDO VP50 has two picture outputs (1x HDMI and 1x RGBHV) and also serves as an audio extractor (Coaxial & Optical), I can conveniently switch between HDTV (1080p) and CRT (480p) here if I wish. In the case of the connected RT5X, there is basically a "passtrough" option when its image output is set to 1080p or 480p. This works perfectly fine with 1080p and HDTV, but not with 480p and the CRT.

Sure, basically the DVDO can scale down the 1080p signal of the RT5X to 480p for the RGBHV output. But the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 1080p signal is also fitted into a 480p 4:3 aspect ratio, i.e. the result is a 4:3 letterbox. The reduced image section can be corrected to a certain degree via DVDO and zoom functions of the CRT, but the result is rather modest.

So if 480p is dropped in future RT5X updates at some point, it won't be the end of the world, but it would still be nice if there was a more compatible 480i image output :wink:
strayan

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pr

Post by strayan »

Even though I only have 480p and 768p displays at home, 4K should be the target output. It’s the only resolution that gives me a viable upgrade path from CRT and plasma to OLED.

I honestly think the 5x is trying to be too forward looking at this point. While it’s super exciting to see it being pushed to its limits with output modes exceeding 1080p (undoubtedly paving the way for a 4K tink) I’d much rather more considered support for sub 1080p resolutions. This is because some sub 1080p resolutions are almost completely useless. 720p happens to be the most pointless of all modes IMO. Remember, I say this as someone with a 768p TV. The thing about 720p is that pretty much its only use is integer scaling 240p. But this looks terrible on most 768p TV’s because they all overscan the input which means the scanlines never align. Native 480p content scaled to 720p looks okay but a huge number of 768p TVs still support 1080p so you can just put the 5x in the 1080p mode and let the TV downscale to its native 768p resolution.

I would also back the removal of 480p since there are plenty of other options to line double 240p if you want to play on a 31khz CRT or 480p plasma. Still, if forced to choose between 480p output and 720p output I’d choose to save 480p.

That brings me to the list of resolutions which I think are most important. 1080p without question. The other resolutions I think are important are 1024x768, 540p and 240p. There are vanishingly few products on the market that can downscale to 240p so this is a very niche but important use case. There is absolutely nothing on the market tmk though that will line double 240p and stick it in a 540p frame for HDCRTs (you might save a few HDCRTs from landfill too!). Granted another niche use but still an exclusive feature. 1024x768 is also important. Most native 768p displays (even though they also support 1366x768) support this input and because of the CVT timings do not process this input (resulting in no overscan or other undefeatable image sharpening). 1024x768 is also supported by most video processors such as DVDOs (which don’ t support WXGA resolutions oddly) so anyone with these type of processors in their chain can still use them.

All that being said it’s almost all there now in older firmwares anyway :mrgreen:
Last edited by strayan on Wed May 04, 2022 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.