RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by Gunstar »

retrofan01 wrote:I've never been a scanline person until the latest 5X-Pro firmware came out but the aperture grille scanlines have made me a convert, to the point where I was thinking about getting this cable from RetroGamingCables to run from my MiSTer w/ analogue I/O board -> gscartsw -> 5X-Pro solely to take advantage of them:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ana ... packapunch

The only thing I'm hesitant about is whether MiSTer will get similar scanlines natively at some point and how much of a loss in video/audio quality there'll be when going from digital to analogue and back to digital again?
atrac17 teased some mister footage of a similar filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuWI_8-INg

Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Can someone explain to me the TTL sync limitation (I think that's it)? I'm currently using a shinybow scart to component transcoder for my HDTV so I'm pretty certain that means sync is at least going through the composite video pin. Do I need to worry about whether or not my cables are c-sync/luma/composite? Cause I honestly can't recall what they are.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

I don't know much about the Shinybow, so it might be just fine but in generally consumer SCART equipment expects 75 ohm video sync (0.3 to 1V). TTL sync is 5V which may damage equipment designed for SCART.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Einzelherz wrote:Can someone explain to me the TTL sync limitation (I think that's it)? I'm currently using a shinybow scart to component transcoder for my HDTV so I'm pretty certain that means sync is at least going through the composite video pin. Do I need to worry about whether or not my cables are c-sync/luma/composite? Cause I honestly can't recall what they are.
The Shinybow products are all fine to my knowledge and I've been using a bunch of their gear for years. If you got your cables from one of the reputable cable makers within the last 3-4 years, you're probably fine. Those being Retro-Access, Insurrection Industries or Retro Gaming Cables UK.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Do you have to do something to get 5V sync? The only RGB mods I've got are an NESRGB and a voultar RBG bypass for a SNES mini. My Scart cables are either (older) retro access ones or Naki.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Einzelherz wrote:Do you have to do something to get 5V sync? The only RGB mods I've got are an NESRGB and a voultar RBG bypass for a SNES mini. My Scart cables are either (older) retro access ones or Naki.
If you dig through the earlier pages of this thread you'll see that I asked pretty much the same thing when I was ordering my 5x. The general consensus was that my cables were probably ok as were my mods (I have pretty much all the classic retro systems RGB modded and I also have a Shinybow for RGB to Component.). I went and got all new cables anyway because many of mine were cheap ebay/chinese crap just to ease my mind. Unless you're using something that specifically calls for TTL Sync like a Extron device you probably don't have it. I guess it's a lot less common than I thought it was.

If money isn't too tight I'd go and splurge on new cables just to be sure.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does the TTL on sync a risk for component, too? I thought it was just for SCART…
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

SavagePencil wrote:Does the TTL on sync a risk for component, too? I thought it was just for SCART…
There isn't a sync (well, not in the same way) on component so I don't think it would be a concern.

I only brought up the component converter since it should expect a "standardized" scart signal so I wondered if that would answer my question or not.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Surprised someone doesn't sell a $15-20 SCART sync tester at this point. Plug in all your old cables and light up an LED for 75Ohm or TTL. I guess you'd have to display an all white screen to truly test voltage levels though.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:Surprised someone doesn't sell a $15-20 SCART sync tester at this point. Plug in all your old cables and light up an LED for 75Ohm or TTL. I guess you'd have to display an all white screen to truly test voltage levels though.
sync voltage is the same regardless of what's being displayed on the screen

the white screen thing is to check RGB voltage levels, which are totally separate from sync level
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Einzelherz wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:Does the TTL on sync a risk for component, too? I thought it was just for SCART…
There isn't a sync (well, not in the same way) on component so I don't think it would be a concern.

I only brought up the component converter since it should expect a "standardized" scart signal so I wondered if that would answer my question or not.
OK good, I was worried I might be sending TTL on the green channel or w/e.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Why does this sell so fast? Low supply and/or high demand? So I get an email reminder this morning with subject 5X-Pro No, Yes Back in Stock! in my email 6 hours ago. Upon being prompted to the website, I'm not totally surprised it's been sold out and that MORE WILL ARRIVE AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER. Patience is a virtue.

Not exactly sure why I'm even bothering with this device. I already own an OSSC and 480p is where it's at. But a chunk of my PS2 games don't have that progressive scan mode and I guess, this Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing has got me lured as bob deinterlacing was never an option. I just hope it'll be worth the wait, and hefty price tag.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SavagePencil wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:

OK good, I was worried I might be sending TTL on the green channel or w/e.
Pretty sure no device in history has done that, you're good bro
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

azmun wrote:Why does this sell so fast? Low supply and/or high demand? So I get an email reminder this morning with subject 5X-Pro No, Yes Back in Stock! in my email 6 hours ago. Upon being prompted to the website, I'm not totally surprised it's been sold out and that MORE WILL ARRIVE AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER. Patience is a virtue.

Not exactly sure why I'm even bothering with this device. I already own an OSSC and 480p is where it's at. But a chunk of my PS2 games don't have that progressive scan mode and I guess, this Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing has got me lured as bob deinterlacing was never an option. I just hope it'll be worth the wait, and hefty price tag.
From what Mike has said, each batch he receives is quite a lot, but this device has been Godly hyped over the last year, so they go quick. Best advice is follow him on Twitter as he always posts several days in advance when these will go back up on the site. And yeah, the deinterlacing with PS2 is pretty incredible. I have an OSSC but it got promptly moved aside when I got my 5x. It does almost everything better than the OSSC. If the 5x had a VGA port, I probably wouldn't even keep my OSSC.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Einzelherz wrote:Do you have to do something to get 5V sync? The only RGB mods I've got are an NESRGB and a voultar RBG bypass for a SNES mini. My Scart cables are either (older) retro access ones or Naki.
Older SNES bypass boards had pads to manually configure it for either TTL or lower voltage sync whereas it looks like his newer ones set that automatically based on the cable you use, so as long as you have the right cable, you should be good there. For the NESRGB, there are pads that allow you to manually determine which sort of sync it's using, so it wouldn't hurt to open it up and look at it just to make sure (unless you already know for sure which one it's set to use). This PDF gives the options: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/NESRGB-Pinout.pdf. Looks like you just want to make sure that J8 is jumped.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

azmun wrote:Why does this sell so fast? Low supply and/or high demand? So I get an email reminder this morning with subject 5X-Pro No, Yes Back in Stock! in my email 6 hours ago. Upon being prompted to the website, I'm not totally surprised it's been sold out and that MORE WILL ARRIVE AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER. Patience is a virtue.

Sorry dude. We have a much larger batch coming in a few weeks. My goal is to have constant inventory in the near future. I don't like this batch selling anymore than you guys.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Tink 5x can't sync to the offset refresh rate of a chipped ps1 playing an out of region game.
Specifically a Pal game on a chipped ntsc ps1 with no dfo.

Just blue screen with audio.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

I can confirm that my modded PSOne does appear to play PAL content correctly at least on my side. I'm not sure exactly what kind of mod it is atm but it does not have a DFO.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I was using a pu-8 which may produce a different sync rate to a psone as the clock setup is completely different between the two.

But I should also point out it was a Japan PS1 and xstation so may of been a bios lockout issue.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Hi Mike,

a buddy of mine was lucky enough to get an R5X from the latest batch. He's planning on using it on an old 4:3 Plasma with a panel resolution of 1024x768. I saw that one supported output resolution is 768p but I'm not sure if this also includes 1024 width or only 1366 that most older HD ready panels use.

Could you or anybody else fill me in on that?

Thanks!
strayan

Post by strayan »

SuperSpongo wrote:Hi Mike,

a buddy of mine was lucky enough to get an R5X from the latest batch. He's planning on using it on an old 4:3 Plasma with a panel resolution of 1024x768. I saw that one supported output resolution is 768p but I'm not sure if this also includes 1024 width or only 1366 that most older HD ready panels use.

Could you or anybody else fill me in on that?

Thanks!
Should be fine. Josh uses one with the same resolution:

viewtopic.php?p=1455916#p1455916

Edit: Are you sure he is using a 4:3 plasma or is he using a 16:9 plasma with rectangular pixels?

4:3 plasma were typically 640x480. If it’s genuinely a 4:3 plasma with a native resolution of 1024x768 and square pixels he might have issues unless mike updates the firmware.

Edit2: I totally forgot that xga 4:3 plasmas exist https://www.cnet.com/products/hitachi-c ... sma-panel/ so yeah there might be issues.

I think we’re gonna need a few WXGA and XGA resolutions to be honest (1366RB/1366/1360/1024x768 should do it). Sorry mike :cry:
Last edited by strayan on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Although not a confirmed feature I was hoping to see a filter like this. Smoothing but without the ringing/crush of the mClassic.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Smooooooothing?? Yessssss.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

strayan wrote:

Edit2: I totally forgot that xga 4:3 plasmas exist https://www.cnet.com/products/hitachi-c ... sma-panel/ so yeah there might be issues.

I think we’re gonna need a few WXGA and XGA resolutions to be honest (1366RB/1366/1360/1024x768 should do it). Sorry mike :cry:
Right on the money, he's got a Hitachi. Most likely exactly the one you linked.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Gunstar wrote:Although not a confirmed feature I was hoping to see a filter like this. Smoothing but without the ringing/crush of the mClassic.
Spoiler
Galaxy brain game choice to test smoothing right there.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

So how are the Multiformat and 5X at correcting unstable sources like VHS at the line (spatial) and field (temporal) levels? The older pre-Multiformat 2X models appeared to use the Adaptive Digital Line Length Tracking (ADLLT) feature of the ADV7280 to become a line TBC, which was definitely useful with consumer video tape formats. Do the newer boxes like the 5X still behave as a line (spatial) TBC?
azmun

Post by azmun »

mikechi2 wrote:Sorry dude. We have a much larger batch coming in a few weeks. My goal is to have constant inventory in the near future. I don't like this batch selling anymore than you guys.
No problem mang and good to know. Hope to make the next cut!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Anyone tried Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode? I just get either a garbled mess or a black screen, depending on the resolution that I set the output to. Interlaced works fine, though. Using HD Retrovision and a stock Japanese slim PS2.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Any chance someone found a workaround for Super HD System 3 Pro + gscartsw on 1.67 ?
azmun

Post by azmun »

Steven wrote:Anyone tried Thunder Force VI's progressive scan mode? I just get either a garbled mess or a black screen, depending on the resolution that I set the output to. Interlaced works fine, though. Using HD Retrovision and a stock Japanese slim PS2.
Huh, last I checked the 5X-Pro handles 480p as among various input resolutions. With my OSSC, we have the option to either pass through or line-double (i.e. 2x) and either way, it looks razor sharp on my 1080p monitor. Not sure what options the RetroTINK 5x-Pro offers with regards to 480p source but I'd be curious to know as well. Perhaps this is where OSSC still comes in handy or shines?

If I may suggest troubleshooting, have you gone to the system BIOS screen and ensure you've enabled "component video out" under system configuration?