RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by strayan »

Jenrai wrote:
strayan wrote:
Jenrai wrote:Well strangely enough I swapped it to Computer and no change was seen whatsoever.
Did you change the output of the Retrotink to 720p or 1080p?
Yep. Tried both. Looked exactly the same.
Restart TV etc? You may be out of luck as far as integer scaling support goes on your model unfortunately. I’d inquire on the Roku forums I linked earlier.
Jenrai

Post by Jenrai »

Yea didn't seem to do anything. Regardless thanks for your assistance.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Jenrai wrote:Yea didn't seem to do anything. Regardless thanks for your assistance.
You’re welcome.

Hopefully someone else around here might have another idea to solve the issue.

I know it sounds like stating the obvious but sometimes rereading the TV manual reveals a deeply buried/obscurely named setting that might provide a fix.
FriedZombie

Post by FriedZombie »

Hey Mike created my account to let you know that I've been loving the hell outta the 5x, been an OSSC user for years and the ease of use is unreal.

With that said like with anything you love you can always find faults/improvements. Here's the 2 that comes to mind.

1. Multiple Profiles that save deinterlacing settings/filters/timings.

2. Custom settings with a specific emphasis on PS1 384 have a 3 second lag before the sharpness kicks in and during that time ends up looking more blurry then Generic 4:3 and doesn't have this load time.

Sorry if this has been stated before, thanks for your time Mike :)
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

720p, 1080p, and 1440p output all look the same? If they are letterboxed, theres no way they will be the same size. 720p will be the smallest, followed by 1080p and 1440p will be the largest. You need to access the zoom / aspect ratio settings for your set and adjust accordingly. Either that or your 5X has malfunctioned and is not switching resolutions. Check it on a different TV to rule that out.
Jenrai

Post by Jenrai »

Josh128 wrote:720p, 1080p, and 1440p output all look the same? If they are letterboxed, theres no way they will be the same size. 720p will be the smallest, followed by 1080p and 1440p will be the largest. You need to access the zoom / aspect ratio settings for your set and adjust accordingly. Either that or your 5X has malfunctioned and is not switching resolutions. Check it on a different TV to rule that out.
They do change. Just they don't change when using computer mode as was suggested. Although 1440p is actually the smallest for me with 1080p being the largest. My other tv doesn't support 1440p but I could try the others.
EllipsisBreak

Post by EllipsisBreak »

Today I received my Retrotink 5X, and for the most part it's been great and easy to use. But there's one big problem that I can't explain. When I set my 5X to output 1440p and connect it to my 1440p monitor, nothing gets displayed. The monitor seems to reject it, as if it was a weird unsupported resolution or something.

At this point, I have no idea why this would happen, and I can't find anything similar on Google. At the very least, I want to learn enough to avoid this when next I go monitor shopping. Does anyone know anything?

The monitor is a Dell S2417DG.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

My friend brought over his rt5x and I was able to get 540p working on my 34xbr960 using an hdmi to component transcoder. Hdmi would show up sparingly using my sega saturn. Unfortunately it vanishes after a few seconds.
It worked well input lag and is non existant if you have HDPT enabled. I also have DPSW enabled so it looks stellar. Huge upgrade for 480p consoles. I wish it had hdmi input with a 1080p downscale to 540p...
I can't seem to change color space to YUV in the settings. We were using Xbox outputting 480p to the rt5x which upscales to 1080p pretty good. Unfortunately my gaming projector locks out the color options in rgb, so i make sure I send everything in yuv. Looks significantly better in my setup. Does it not support yuv out?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

FriedZombie wrote:Hey Mike created my account to let you know that I've been loving the hell outta the 5x, been an OSSC user for years and the ease of use is unreal.

With that said like with anything you love you can always find faults/improvements. Here's the 2 that comes to mind.

2. Custom settings with a specific emphasis on PS1 384 have a 3 second lag before the sharpness kicks in and during that time ends up looking more blurry then Generic 4:3 and doesn't have this load time.

Thanks!

Yes - at some point in the future, I would like to redo the menu. I'll double check the auto-phase stuff. I think in the last version it was set so that it wouldn't redo the lock but maybe the game you're playing has a long black period between screens.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

@Bahn Yuki - you should be able to switch colorspace from RGB Full to RGB Limited. I can do it on mine, but I dont remember if its limited to certain input or output resolutions.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does the 5x support RGsB via SCART? Wondering if I need to pull out my PS2's component cable or if I can just keep using SCART for 480p.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Josh128 wrote:@Bahn Yuki - you should be able to switch colorspace from RGB Full to RGB Limited. I can do it on mine, but I dont remember if its limited to certain input or output resolutions.
RGB limited is black level 16-235 (rather than full 0-255) and is only relevant to the incoming signal and the way it's encoded. It's got nothing to do with YUV, which is being used here instead of the term YPbPr.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

thebigcheese wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but does the 5x support RGsB via SCART? Wondering if I need to pull out my PS2's component cable or if I can just keep using SCART for 480p.
No there's no support for sync on green, the reply from mike was
The SCART port strictly follows the standard which means composite video is used for sync.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Josh128 wrote:@Bahn Yuki - you should be able to switch colorspace from RGB Full to RGB Limited. I can do it on mine, but I dont remember if its limited to certain input or output resolutions.
I need yuv. My projector locks out certain features when Sent rgb. I was pretty shocked about it myself long ago, but now I just sure to make everything yuv. Looks significantly better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

vol.2 wrote:
RGB limited is black level 16-235 (rather than full 0-255) and is only relevant to the incoming signal and the way it's encoded. It's got nothing to do with YUV, which is being used here instead of the term YPbPr.
Correct. Normally I would just connect my Mister Fpga directly to my projector via HDMI. However it too lacks YUV output. So to remedy I just use direct video via HDMI to DE15 adapter and send RGBS to my OSSC which outputs YPbPr. Then upscale to 1080p to projector. Results in 1 frame of lag @1080p/60hz. Yes the projector does accept 120hz but I mainly use that on pc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

vol.2 wrote:
I know what RGB limited vs RGB full are, but when he said color space thats what I thought he was talking about because he said he was already using an HDMI to component transcoder. I dont follow why this transcoder would not be giving him YPbPr output. Thats what a component transcoder does, no?
My friend brought over his rt5x and I was able to get 540p working on my 34xbr960 using an hdmi to component transcoder.
Last edited by Josh128 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Josh128 wrote: I dont follow why this transcoder would not be giving him YPbPr output. Thats what a component transcoder does, no?
aha. i thought maybe he meant that he wanted to get YUV out of the RT5X itself.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Historically YUV referred to the analog component signal (0-0.7 V on Y -0.35 to 0.35 V on UV). YCbCr is the digital equivalent with the limited range (16-235) and that's the form transmitted either in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 sampling over the HDMI link.

[quote="Bahn Yuki"]I wish it had hdmi input with a 1080p downscale to 540p.../quote]

That's a terrible idea. Downscaling a modern 1080p game to 540p literally throws away half you resolution destroying small details and text. This isn't the same as downscaling pixel art that's been previously upscaled by a factor of 2 or 3 and the downscaling process restores the original resolution. Likewise, I have a feeling that 1080p -> 1080i on modern content, without some detail destroying vertical filter, is going to be a flicker fest.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I was just using YUV the way B.Y. was using it to attempt to explain what he was thinking, but not sure that's what was meant.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

mikechi2 wrote:Historically YUV referred to the analog component signal (0-0.7 V on Y -0.35 to 0.35 V on UV). YCbCr is the digital equivalent with the limited range (16-235) and that's the form transmitted either in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 sampling over the HDMI link.
Bahn Yuki wrote:I wish it had hdmi input with a 1080p downscale to 540p.../quote]

That's a terrible idea. Downscaling a modern 1080p game to 540p literally throws away half you resolution destroying small details and text. This isn't the same as downscaling pixel art that's been previously upscaled by a factor of 2 or 3 and the downscaling process restores the original resolution. Likewise, I have a feeling that 1080p -> 1080i on modern content, without some detail destroying vertical filter, is going to be a flicker fest.
1080i looks pretty good on my screens. 540p also looks great and I'm very thankful for listening to your customers and quickly implementing a solution. Mike do you remember you had that 21" apple studio monitor you called the poor man's bvm? I own one myself and even tweaked it with a buddy's G4 mac to fix the gamma and screen size for many resolutions. With 540p from the rt5x the Sony hd crts looks like that, just in 16:9 format.

I guess we're just seeking to extend the life of these displays. Yes they do have HDMI inputs but 1080i is an obsolete resolution. I still keep a gtx 1080ti due to it having 1080i output which looks stellar. We could just be splitting hairs. When I first got cyberpunk I tried it out on my 77C1, then I went upstairs hooked it up to my XBR960 in 720p and it not only felt fine(21ms lag), but looked better than my OLED. Most people would say on these screens, 1080i > 720p.

Last edited by Bahn Yuki on Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FriedZombie

Post by FriedZombie »

mikechi2 wrote:
FriedZombie wrote:Hey Mike created my account to let you know that I've been loving the hell outta the 5x, been an OSSC user for years and the ease of use is unreal.

Thanks!

Yes - at some point in the future, I would like to redo the menu. I'll double check the auto-phase stuff. I think in the last version it was set so that it wouldn't redo the lock but maybe the game you're playing has a long black period between screens.
Quite Possible, the game I'm playing is the NTSC-U copy of Legend of Dragoon via PSIO.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Bahn Yuki wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:Historically YUV referred to the analog component signal (0-0.7 V on Y -0.35 to 0.35 V on UV). YCbCr is the digital equivalent with the limited range (16-235) and that's the form transmitted either in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 sampling over the HDMI link.
Bahn Yuki wrote:I wish it had hdmi input with a 1080p downscale to 540p.../quote]

1080i looks pretty good on my screens. 540p also looks great and I'm very thankful for listening to your customers and quickly implementing a solution. Mike do you remember you had that 21" apple studio monitor you called the poor man's bvm? I own one myself and even tweaked it with a buddy's G4 mac to fix the gamma and screen size for many resolutions. With 540p from the rt5x the Sony hd crts looks like that, just in 16:9 format.

I guess we're just seeking to extend the life of these displays. Yes they do have HDMI inputs but 1080i is an obsolete resolution. I still keep a gtx 1080ti due to it having 1080i output which looks stellar. We could just be splitting hairs. When I first got cyberpunk I tried it out on my 77C1, then I went upstairs hooked it up to my XBR960 in 720p and it not only felt fine(21ms lag), but looked better than my OLED. Most people would say on these screens, 1080i > 720p.

Yeah I remember the Appletron, it was an amazing display except for the need for MacOS 9 to adjust the settings, lol. It looked exactly like a BVM when turning on 100% scanlines for line doubled 240p content.

Having re-read the YUV stuff for the 4th time, I think I understand the problem. Projector assumes all RGB sources are from a PC, in which case it locks out picture controls (a rather odd feature, imo.). I might rework the system so the output colorspace selections are RGB (full) and YCbCr 444 instead of currently RGB (full) and RGB (limited).
GrimShins

Post by GrimShins »

mikechi2 wrote:Having re-read the YUV stuff for the 4th time, I think I understand the problem. Projector assumes all RGB sources are from a PC, in which case it locks out picture controls (a rather odd feature, imo.). I might rework the system so the output colorspace selections are RGB (full) and YCbCr 444 instead of currently RGB (full) and RGB (limited).
I think that's a great idea, although that should come as no surprise. :) Some capture cards play nicer with YCbCr as well.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

That's a great idea!

daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Is anyone else experiencing issues with Super HD System 3 Pro? I know some users reported problems with version 1.67 but I was wondering if any solution was found.

My setup is: PC Engine Coregrafx with RGB mod -> MD2 scart cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk -> gscartsw -> LG CX

Through the gscartsw I cannot get anything, both in frame lock and triple buffer. If I go directly to the Tink, it's working but I let it run for a few minutes and then it lost sync completely. Picture quality was amazing though! Much better than with the RGB mod which still has jailbars.

I'm still not sure if I want to keep the Super HD System 3 Pro since I have an everdrive and a Duo R but this is not very encouraging for now :mrgreen:

Thanks
rezb1t

Post by rezb1t »

daty2k1 wrote:Is anyone else experiencing issues with Super HD System 3 Pro? I know some users reported problems with version 1.67 but I was wondering if any solution was found.

My setup is: PC Engine Coregrafx with RGB mod -> MD2 scart cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk -> gscartsw -> LG CX

Through the gscartsw I cannot get anything, both in frame lock and triple buffer. If I go directly to the Tink, it's working but I let it run for a few minutes and then it lost sync completely. Picture quality was amazing though! Much better than with the RGB mod which still has jailbars.

I'm still not sure if I want to keep the Super HD System 3 Pro since I have an everdrive and a Duo R but this is not very encouraging for now :mrgreen:

Thanks
Try enabling sync regeneration on your gscartsw, it fixed the issue for me. Might need to swap it back to off for your other consoles, though
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

rezb1t wrote:
daty2k1 wrote:Is anyone else experiencing issues with Super HD System 3 Pro? I know some users reported problems with version 1.67 but I was wondering if any solution was found.

Thanks
Try enabling sync regeneration on your gscartsw, it fixed the issue for me. Might need to swap it back to off for your other consoles, though
Well it worked in the main menu after cycling inputs a few times but as soon as I launch a game, I get a gray screen that fades to black then nothing. Really weird.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Has anyone ever seen this video issue before? I'm playing Moonwalker on my RGB modded Genesis through SCART. The game looks fine except when the screen has to scroll. When that happens it's like some scanlines drop out and the whole screen gets a little blurry until it stops moving. I made a video of it so people can see what I'm talking about (sorry for the crappy quality). I'm using the Genesis 320 interpolation mode and 25% poly scanlines, but this happens regardless of what options I pick. Is this normal for Moonwalker or is there something screwy with the 5x or my TV?

http://atariprotos.com/temp/moonwalker.mov

I just tried Ghostbusters and it seems to have a similar issue, but it's not quite as noticeable. Maybe this is just how the Genesis is and I never noticed it before until it was blown up to 42"?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Tempest_2084 wrote:Has anyone ever seen this video issue before? I'm playing Moonwalker on my RGB modded Genesis through SCART. The game looks fine except when the screen has to scroll. When that happens it's like some scanlines drop out and the whole screen gets a little blurry until it stops moving. I made a video of it so people can see what I'm talking about (sorry for the crappy quality). I'm using the Genesis 320 interpolation mode and 25% poly scanlines, but this happens regardless of what options I pick. Is this normal for Moonwalker or is there something screwy with the 5x or my TV?

http://atariprotos.com/temp/moonwalker.mov

I just tried Ghostbusters and it seems to have a similar issue, but it's not quite as noticeable. Maybe this is just how the Genesis is and I never noticed it before until it was blown up to 42"?
Looks like LED ghosting to me.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

orange808 wrote: Looks like LED ghosting to me.
What would cause that and is there a fix?