RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
EnragedWhale

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by EnragedWhale »

Shake Your Rump wrote:This seems to be the only forum discussing this device outside of Reddit (or discord).

After all this time, anyone want to share their preferred CRT mask settings? I’ve tinkered a bit, but always come back to the default PVM600 settings. Currently playing Wild Arms on the PS1 and was surprised that I actually like the “consumer-2” settings.

What are you folks using for 240p mask effects?
I also like the PVM600 settings but I bump colour up by one. I even use it on 480p/576p sources as I like the texture it gives although it’s probably in no way authentic.
Steven

Post by Steven »

EnragedWhale wrote:
Steven wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:It doesn’t. It’s reporting the buffer lag, not total lag and is labelled as such. It says right there in the firmware update notes. I can’t imagine it’s possible to do triple buffer any faster. Everyone should be using genlock or frame lock anyway assuming their display can handle it. Triple buffer is a compatibility mode, but even then is still very low lag.
Does the triple buffer not cause the lag, seeing as the lag is specifically only there when the triple buffer is active? In that case it should definitely say that it has more than a few ms of lag with the triple buffer active.
The buffer lag readout is there at all times and doesn’t change when you switch between the different frame output modes. It’s the base lag that the RT5X requires to achieve the scaling you’ve selected. It’s the exact lag you’ll get in frame or gen lock modes. Remember the RT5X is a upscaler, not a line doubler so it needs a few more ms than an OSSC etc.

Triple buffer adds lags on top of this which is unavoidable due to the nature of how triple buffering works.
That's what I'm saying; it says buffer lag, but it's not actually displaying the lag that is caused by the triple buffer, so perhaps it should be renamed to something else.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shake Your Rump wrote:This seems to be the only forum discussing this device outside of Reddit (or discord).

After all this time, anyone want to share their preferred CRT mask settings? I’ve tinkered a bit, but always come back to the default PVM600 settings. Currently playing Wild Arms on the PS1 and was surprised that I actually like the “consumer-2” settings.

What are you folks using for 240p mask effects?
I greatly prefer Shadow Mask to any of the other presets. PVM600 is probably second for me, but the (black) scanlines are too heavy for my taste.

I haven't spent enough time playing with the individual settings to possibly get something I like more.

I don't like the look of actual BVM or PVM CRTs with the razor-sharp scanlines and large spacing, and prefer the look of an RGB arcade monitor or similar. The larger PVMs like the 25" and 27" are fine too but they don't look like what people generally mean when they say "PVM". I have a JVC DT-V1710CG and I hate the picture on it.
Shake Your Rump

Post by Shake Your Rump »

EnragedWhale wrote: I also like the PVM600 settings but I bump colour up by one. I even use it on 480p/576p sources as I like the texture it gives although it’s probably in no way authentic.
For a while now, I’ve been using the settings someone posted here long ago that is essentially the PVM600 preset with colour up one and pre-emphasis down two. It’s pretty nice looking.

I’m a big fan of 1080(over), so I can’t use the setting for 480i/p PS2 games, as the image doesn’t scale properly. I actually went for a month or so using the PVM scanlines on my PS2 until I finally realized why my games had these weird bright lines going through the image. It was due to the uneven scaling with scanlines.
cfx wrote:I greatly prefer Shadow Mask to any of the other presets. PVM600 is probably second for me, but the (black) scanlines are too heavy for my taste.

I haven't spent enough time playing with the individual settings to possibly get something I like more.

I don't like the look of actual BVM or PVM CRTs with the razor-sharp scanlines and large spacing, and prefer the look of an RGB arcade monitor or similar. The larger PVMs like the 25" and 27" are fine too but they don't look like what people generally mean when they say "PVM". I have a JVC DT-V1710CG and I hate the picture on it.
The thing about the PVM600 preset that got me using it is that, other than the pixel shape, it looks extremely similar to my 27” Sony FV310. The FV310 preset on the RetroTink nails the weird pixel shape, but the aperture grille and scanlines of the PVM600 preset more closely match the CRT.

I guess the screen size makes quite a difference. I mean, on a CRT, the scanlines would be different thicknesses based on physical screen size. The RetroTink doesn’t take this into consideration. It would be neat if a physical screen size could be entered into the settings, and the proper characteristics are calculated. I guess we just have to eyeball it.
Shake Your Rump

Post by Shake Your Rump »

Odolwa wrote:
That link doesn’t explain what genlock is.
From what I have gathered:
Frame lock uses the clock signal from the console. Gen lock detects the clock signal, but creates its own, matching, clock signal instead. This has the benefit of being more stable.

My experience is that you can use "gen lock" instead of "triple buffer" for a rock-solid image. Even the 240p to 480i video switching is solid.

Paraphrasing from a recent interview with Mike: triple buffer is there if you absolutely need it, but gen lock is the ideal setting now.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Steven wrote:That's what I'm saying; it says buffer lag, but it's not actually displaying the lag that is caused by the triple buffer, so perhaps it should be renamed to something else.
I'd agree, if there's going to be a lag measurement displayed to the user ideally it should be the total lag of the entire processing chain. If that's not possible and it's always going to be right around 4ms I think we're going to have confused people using triple buffer and not understanding the downsides. Not that it's a huge deal for people who look into it enough to care- triple buffer is certainly the most compatible and I think the 5X ships with it on by default?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Is Gen Lock ideal in most situations? Does it look better than Framelock? Would you use it in place of Framelock or just in place of Triple Buffer Mode? Why does Gen Lock not work on older versions of the RT5X?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Odolwa wrote:Why does Gen Lock not work on older versions of the RT5X?
lmgtfy

Hardware revision for launch devices makes it incompatible.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Odolwa wrote:Is Gen Lock ideal in most situations? Does it look better than Framelock? Would you use it in place of Framelock or just in place of Triple Buffer Mode? Why does Gen Lock not work on older versions of the RT5X?
Mike said on Bob’s stream that most people should use Gen Lock. It’s functionally the same as frame lock but more compatible. If you used frame lock before with no issues then you won’t observe any difference, but it is more resistant to signal drops and may also enable faster re syncing on resolution changes depending on your display.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Shake Your Rump wrote: I guess the screen size makes quite a difference. I mean, on a CRT, the scanlines would be different thicknesses based on physical screen size. The RetroTink doesn’t take this into consideration. It would be neat if a physical screen size could be entered into the settings, and the proper characteristics are calculated. I guess we just have to eyeball it.
I don't know if that's true, but even if it is, it is not why the PVM-2530 or PVM-2950 look different than the others. They're not the same type of monitor, and were much less expensive costing only about $1500 when new--I know because I bought one back then, though I might not remember exactly. I don't know the specs but I'm sure the TVL ratings were lower. As far as I know, no one made a picture tube of the type used in BVMs or smaller PVMs in that large of a size, at least not until the HD CRTs came along.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

which system/cable connection shines the brightest for y'all on the 5x pro and what basic settings?

generic or optimal phase, h sampling, and scanlines or not
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

generic+scanlines or bust
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

@Odolwa, the RetroTink 5X wiki is surprisingly useful. And it does go into detail on the different lock features and mechanisms.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

SavagePencil wrote:@Odolwa, the RetroTink 5X wiki is surprisingly useful. And it does go into detail on the different lock features and mechanisms.
Thanks for the link, but man, tons of misinformation in the PSP section. Who wrote this crap?
The specific model of PSP you're using will determine whether it's capable of Video Out, and to what extent:

The original PSP model (PSP-1000) and the PSP Street (PSP-E1000) do not support Video Out.
The PSP-2000 is capable of Video Out, but only using Component cables. PSone Classics can also not be played using Video Out on this model.
The PSP-3000 can do Video Out using Composite, S-Video and Component cables, including with PSone Classics.
The PSP Go is also capable of Video Out for all content, but only when using an official dock. Because of this, it requires a different cable.
Correct info & rant in spoiler tag:
Spoiler
PSP-2000s CAN use composite and s-video for PS1 games as well as all the XMB stuff (you know, photos, music, videos) and UMD video, but PSP games required component. Just tested this all right now; I hooked up a PSP-2004 through composite on my CRT during a PS1 game, then held the screen button for a few seconds and the picture switched to the CRT, no borders or anything. I'm kind of impressed by the no borders part because when I exited to the XMB, the screen mode was still at 16:9. As for the UMD video test, in full disclosure, when I tested UMD video through composite, it was actually through the CFW ISO video mount because that particular UMD drive was broken and I didn't have any UMD videos from wherever the "4" in PSP-2004 is. But that's exactly the same as loading the UMD (i.e. it has its own bootup sequence into the UMD menu; you're not just playing a video file).

PSPgo doesn't need the dock for video out! The cable plugs in the bottom of the PSPgo just fine. But you need the dock if you want to have video out and play while charging, especially with a paired Sixaxis or Dualshock, because the Bluetooth connectivity isn't doing the already smaller battery life of the PSPgo any favors.
Anyway, since we still have no "official" PSP preset from Mike, it seems a bunch of us are independently looking for the best PSP settings on the RT5X, especially if they need to be changed with each firmware as this dude suggests. I'm not the only one who's not completely satisfied with Wobbling Pixel's settings; I don't mind cropping the gameplay area a bit if it means no black borders at all, for example. Here are my old settings. I just took a screenshot of the menu in WipEout Pure with the OSSC preset first, and I tried to match my RT5X to that.

One thing I'm damn sure of is I'm keeping "V Size" at +60% no matter what. It might crop a little bit of the picture on the top and bottom, but that's the only size at which BVM scanlines still look correct (at least at Generic 4:3), which has to mean... something. I dunno, I got the idea from FirebrandX's OSSC video from 2017.

To do:
  • Find best zoom/crop/stretch values for all those PSP compilations with "pixel perfect" modes (I've found I'm going to need at least two of these)
  • Revisit Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions 240p patch with RT5X
Last edited by Triple Lei on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

fernan1234 wrote:generic+scanlines or bust
right but which scanline setting? :D
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

768peeistrash wrote:
right but which scanline setting? :D
Your username is incorrect.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've read that this has bilinear interpolation. Is this the same as a bilinear filter on an emulator?

Seems like something like that would be pretty useful on PSX or Saturn games, especially.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Odolwa wrote:Is Gen Lock ideal in most situations? Does it look better than Framelock? Would you use it in place of Framelock or just in place of Triple Buffer Mode? Why does Gen Lock not work on older versions of the RT5X?
On my dejittered SNES and my LG C9 I actually find regular frame lock to be better and genlock drops out occasionally.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I've read that this has bilinear interpolation. Is this the same as a bilinear filter on an emulator?

Seems like something like that would be pretty useful on PSX or Saturn games, especially.
No, it will not make blocky textures look smooth.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Unseen wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I've read that this has bilinear interpolation. Is this the same as a bilinear filter on an emulator?

No, it will not make blocky textures look smooth.
I found this out the hard way. Perhaps a firmware update can be considered in the future if Mike is down for that!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Texture filtering isn't something that can be done with a post-processing filter. Best you could do is blur the whole screen. Might as well just use composite at that point.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

bobrocks95 wrote:Texture filtering isn't something that can be done with a post-processing filter. Best you could do is blur the whole screen. Might as well just use composite at that point.
What's your perspective of the mClassic? For me it tends to smooth stuff out but not to the degree I'd like. regardless there is some smoothing that takes place, it somehow manages to avoid making everything blurry.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Rock Man wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Texture filtering isn't something that can be done with a post-processing filter. Best you could do is blur the whole screen. Might as well just use composite at that point.
What's your perspective of the mClassic? For me it tends to smooth stuff out but not to the degree I'd like. regardless there is some smoothing that takes place, it somehow manages to avoid making everything blurry.
It's kind of like enabling FXAA on a PC game, right? Edge-detection post-processing anti-aliasing, maybe some contrast or edge enhancement on top? Not for me at all, but if it looks good to you more power to you. Me suggesting composite isn't really a joke either- if you really truly hate jaggies on low-res 3D consoles maybe you'll honestly like composite? I would rather have the polygons cut my eyes myself lol
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The OSSC had a filter firmware. Try that. I suggest adding a Darbeevision last in the chain before the display to sharpen the image a little. You'll have control over the output and it's better than the mClassic. Let's face it, the mClassic kinda sucks.
We apologise for the inconvenience
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

orange808 wrote:The OSSC had a filter firmware. Try that. I suggest adding a Darbeevision last in the chain before the display to sharpen the image a little. You'll have control over the output and it's better than the mClassic. Let's face it, the mClassic kinda sucks.
Oh does it? What kind of filters does it have? Like Bilinear or Blargg's NTSC filter?
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

orange808 wrote:The OSSC had a filter firmware. Try that. I suggest adding a Darbeevision last in the chain before the display to sharpen the image a little. You'll have control over the output and it's better than the mClassic. Let's face it, the mClassic kinda sucks.
This gives me hope that the Tink could get such a feature.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

Doesn't the PS2 have optional texture filtering for PS1 games? No idea how well it works, probably not comparable to modern emulators etc. Also, the Retrotink 5x does have the soft interpolation which may help a bit. Personally I just like everything to look how it always did.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:Doesn't the PS2 have optional texture filtering for PS1 games? No idea how well it works, probably not comparable to modern emulators etc. Also, the Retrotink 5x does have the soft interpolation which may help a bit. Personally I just like everything to look how it always did.
On my display that feature doesn't work on GC or XB. It will work on Saturn and Neo Geo, etc.
Last edited by Rock Man on Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:Doesn't the PS2 have optional texture filtering for PS1 games? No idea how well it works, probably not comparable to modern emulators etc. Also, the Retrotink 5x does have the soft interpolation which may help a bit. Personally I just like everything to look how it always did.
The PS2 filter isn't bad, but adds weird effects with some games.
I have never found anything that didn't have some kind of interpolation to look "how it always did". I have 2 CRTs hooked up, and I can do a direct comparison. It's like one or the other... it's either going to look sharp (too sharp, in my opinion), or it may look at bit too blurry (in many other opinions). Neither looks like it does on a CRT. Maybe one day. However, I feel that the further we get from when CRTs were out and about, many people
are forgetting the games didn't look so pixelated. I think it's like some kind of Mandela effect, that they always did. :lol:

I don't even want to get into polygonal games. They need some filtering or something. Honestly, the PSX games look OK in emulators, but that just adds lag. There may not be a super great solution for that. PS2, I think you could. I used the HD Retrovision cables with my PS2, and turned down my sharpness to 0 on my TV... it was really close. If I could just have some control over the clarity, like a slider... I'd be pretty happy.
I asked Mike once to add that to Retrotink (not sure if he got my message), but he didn't respond. I guess it's not a high demand thing. I just find it odd, as it's on EVERY emulator. Give me some options, man.
I honestly think it would be really easy, but since the majority of retro gamers don't seem to care about it, they just don't bother.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

^ I think it's likely peopel who are ps2 enthusiasts are gonna be all over the ps2digital that is supposed slated for q3 or q4 this year? according to a product roadmap of the pixelfx products (iirc)