RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
EnragedWhale

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by EnragedWhale »

Are you using frame lock mode? Triple buffer has a small amount of lag.
robinmasters

Post by robinmasters »

I tried both, same result.
I'm talking about 1/4sec of lag.
it's very noticeable
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

I can confirm that the RT5X only has a buffer that's 4 frames deep (of which only about 2 are in use at any time for progressive scan and 4 are used for motion detection and deinterlacing) and no audio buffer to speak of, so it's probably not coming from that :P

Most likely the odd resolution from the OSSC triggers the display to into a "PC" or "Game Mode". The clue is that 768p and 540p don't have lag, which are both weird resolutions compared to stock 1080p. I'd start by looking for those settings on your TV.
robinmasters

Post by robinmasters »

well I've just tested by forcing the game mode and I have no more lag.
you were right Mike.
thank you for helping so quickly.
can't wait to test the rt5x pro
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

Hey, is anyone getting noise issues with GBI with the 5x? I'm pretty sure it's the GameCube or the official component cables causing the issue and not the 5x, but I'm having issues getting around it because both Video LPF as well as the Pre emph. Filter are both disabled in GBI mode.

My capture card is really crappy, so it can't do high bitrates, but it's most notable in solid grey colors:
https://imgur.com/a/4dtsbkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mkSKwrg9s

Like I said it's very hard to see with my equipment, but hopefully someone sees it or has noticed it before. It scrolls down the screen but the noise seems to get faster and faster and than starts slowing down which is odd. The images/video were taken from the start of Coldman's in Megaman and Bass, if anyone wants to compare for themselves. I imagine there's a technical reason LPF can't be used on GBI.
Joeflo

Post by Joeflo »

Hi to all pal users! I got a massive shift to the right and a black border on the left of my screen when using the retrotink 5x with the wii in 576i mode (widescreen) . In 480p the alignment is perfect. I wouldnt use it in 576i mode if not necessary but a handful of palgames unfortunately only support 50hertz. I'm using the original wii yuv cables and my wii is set to edtv and widescreen.. this issue doesnt happen with older firmwares of the retrotink. Does anyone experience the same? Sorry for my bad english.. thank u and let me know , Flo
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Anyone happen to use an Avermedia Live Gamer 4K with the RT5X? I'm trying to figure out the source of audio popping.

The Tink is outputting 1440p and I've been using an RGB modded SNES Jr. The passthrough from the capture card into my display works just fine. No audio popping at all. But on RECentral or OBS, I'm getting sporadic popping. As a test, I hooked up my PC Engine with a Super SD System 3, and surprisingly no popping both through the passthrough and RECentral/OBS. Back on the SNES Jr., I tried 720p, 1080p (all modes) and 1200p and so far I don't hear any popping there.

I'm at a loss of what it could be. Could it be jitter? 1440p being more stringent on timings?

Sample of the popping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH4hDIdGUPs (Yes, I know the ratio is wrong on the capture, RECentral handles 1920x1440 as 2560x1440 and I didn't want to make any edits.)

Edit: This is on Triple Buffer mode, to confirm.
Last edited by eightbitminiboss on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

This happens with all consoles? When this is the case try different hdmi cable. There was one user that reported the same issue.
eightbitminiboss

WobblingPixels wrote:This happens with all consoles? When this is the case try different hdmi cable. There was one user that reported the same issue.
So far just the SNES. The PC Engine as I mentioned, did not exhibit the problem. I haven't checked with my other consoles yet as I doing this in the middle of the night.
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

WobblingPixels wrote:This happens with all consoles? When this is the case try different hdmi cable. There was one user that reported the same issue.
I tried with two other cables, a nice braided one and a generic looking one, and no dice sadly. The one I use on the 5X normally is an orange Monoprice one.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Does anyone else thinks the image looks a bit washed out when using any scanline setting other than int. mod.? I know that there was an update to compensate for the lost brightness but I don't really like the look of it.

I know it would be another setting but I'd love if the brightness boost was a separate option. Maybe with the upcoming menu system it could be feasible?
Joeflo

Post by Joeflo »

Since firmware 1.98 there is a massive shift to the right when using 576i input in widescreen mode.. at least i can confirm it for the pal wii. 480p is perfectly centered and looks amazing. I hope this will be fixed soon since some palgames only run in 50 hertz..
Steven

Post by Steven »

daty2k1 wrote:Does anyone else thinks the image looks a bit washed out when using any scanline setting other than int. mod.? I know that there was an update to compensate for the lost brightness but I don't really like the look of it.

I know it would be another setting but I'd love if the brightness boost was a separate option. Maybe with the upcoming menu system it could be feasible?
Yes, it looks washed out to me when using anything other than polyphase. The video LPF does something very similar when set to medium, as well, but the rest of the video LPF settings don't seem to change it much.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

daty2k1 wrote:Does anyone else thinks the image looks a bit washed out when using any scanline setting other than int. mod.? I know that there was an update to compensate for the lost brightness but I don't really like the look of it.

I'd say that saturation would probably be lost somewhat with any type of brightness boosting and it is noticeable if you're looking for it, but I can't say I find it to be something I'm bothered by. I'd rather have the brightness bumped up to compensate for the scanlines. That said, it'd be nice to be able to control the brightness boost via the 5X menu. Although, I notice it in the pics I took, I don't really consider the scanline pics as washed out. The colors just aren't as heavy. I suppose you could adjust that manually on your TV. Honestly, I'd say the color in the scanline modes are more representative of a CRT with a more bloomed look. I never had the color set quite as saturated as the first pic on my CRTs.

https://ibb.co/qjnQmVP
dojima

Post by dojima »

eightbitminiboss wrote:Anyone happen to use an Avermedia Live Gamer 4K with the RT5X? I'm trying to figure out the source of audio popping.
I downloaded the audio of your video to check out the waveform, and the popping you're getting is identical to what I was getting when capturing PlayStation 4 with a certain HDMI splitter set to a specific set of EDIDs with the Live Gamer 4K. As in your case, audio was completely fine on my display, but capture was problematic. I was able to fix it by choosing a non-HDR EDID on the splitter or using a different model of splitter. Sorry I can't be of additional help.

I'd recommend contacting AVerMedia about it. It's clearly an issue with the capture card. Others have reported audio trouble under various circumstances as well. I reported my issue to them, but, being that they advise against the use of splitters, they weren't at all motivated to fix the issue.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Steven wrote:

Yes, it looks washed out to me when using anything other than polyphase. The video LPF does something very similar when set to medium, as well, but the rest of the video LPF settings don't seem to change it much.
Yes my bad, I was thinking polyphase scanlines.

Maybe "washed out" is a bit strong and I agree that it is not that bad. But when switching between settings, it is quite noticable and I prefer the colors without it.

However, I know it's maybe not ideal to have yet another setting, at least with the current menu.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Have had a chance to play around with the 5x pro for a couple of months now and testing out more systems. I really appreciate the frequent updates! on 1.99 fw now. I know the Neo Geo AES is an ongoing issue, just want to add mine to the list as well, get a lot of sync problems on my HDCRT in 480p mode and framelock doesn't work at all with it.

What I am really here to ask about is if there will be any future support for the RGC Dreamcast scart cable? I am referring to the one with the 480p/576i switch:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... =dreamcast

The cable works perfectly with the OSSC, and seems to be fine when switched to 480p mode on the 5x, but when switched to interlaced I get these results:

ImageImage

This is in framelock or triple buffer mode. I have since switched back to the OSSC because of this. S-Video works fine, as well as the official Dreamcast scart rgb cable, which I could use if I wanted to swap cables back and forth. Just wanted to put it out there, I wasn't sure if anyone else ran into this problem, and I apologize if this has been discussed already!
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

The RGC (as well as every other 3rd party DC SCART cable, except for the RA one, though I haven't tested it) do not combine the HV sync correctly in 480i. The correct method would have been to simply use the built in CSYNC/Luma/Composite output for 480i instead of some weird diode OR gate attempt to generate a sync from the H and V lines. When hacks like this are used, whether it works with a given display or scaler is down to pure luck. The official DC SCART cable probably uses composite video for sync which would explain why it works fine :P

I'm willing to spend time working around quirks of original hardware/console like the AES, but it doesn't make sense for me to prioritize trying to patch up modern equipment that should've taken the "correct" approach in the first place. As it stands, I've helped RGC design a new circuit that outputs perfectly spec'ed sync signals which hopefully will be released in the near future (I would also expect the upcoming HDRV cables to do it correctly) and this really affects the small number of 480i only titles in the first place, since AFAIK 480p from all the SCART cable options works fine.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

^^^ I was just going to say, what is there, like 5 Dreamcast titles that won't run in 480p? I'd like the future cables to be designed properly for 480i, but I really wouldn't call it a deal breaker for that console.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

TooBeaucoup wrote:^^^ I was just going to say, what is there, like 5 Dreamcast titles that won't run in 480p? I'd like the future cables to be designed properly for 480i, but I really wouldn't call it a deal breaker for that console.
It's annoying for sure, but it hasn't stopped me from recommending any of the SCART options today for the vast majority of DC use cases since 480i is so rare. I'm not super familiar with DC, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use 480i if there's a 480p option that should look much better. Definitely a far lower priority than trying to figure out the deal with AES.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

mikechi2 wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:^^^ I was just going to say, what is there, like 5 Dreamcast titles that won't run in 480p? I'd like the future cables to be designed properly for 480i, but I really wouldn't call it a deal breaker for that console.
It's annoying for sure, but it hasn't stopped me from recommending any of the SCART options today for the vast majority of DC use cases since 480i is so rare. I'm not super familiar with DC, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use 480i if there's a 480p option that should look much better. Definitely a far lower priority than trying to figure out the deal with AES.
As a big Dreamcast fan, I wouldn't even give it a thought. I haven't had any issues with my RGC cable and I've played a lot of titles. I wanted a Retro-Access one, but their cables have like a 6 months build wait so I was willing to miss out on the few 480i titles and get an RGC. I should just order a DCHDMI board and be done with it, but I was lazy. :)
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

mikechi2 wrote:The RGC (as well as every other 3rd party DC SCART cable, except for the RA one, though I haven't tested it) do not combine the HV sync correctly in 480i. The correct method would have been to simply use the built in CSYNC/Luma/Composite output for 480i instead of some weird diode OR gate attempt to generate a sync from the H and V lines. When hacks like this are used, whether it works with a given display or scaler is down to pure luck. The official DC SCART cable probably uses composite video for sync which would explain why it works fine :P

I'm willing to spend time working around quirks of original hardware/console like the AES, but it doesn't make sense for me to prioritize trying to patch up modern equipment that should've taken the "correct" approach in the first place. As it stands, I've helped RGC design a new circuit that outputs perfectly spec'ed sync signals which hopefully will be released in the near future (I would also expect the upcoming HDRV cables to do it correctly) and this really affects the small number of 480i only titles in the first place, since AFAIK 480p from all the SCART cable options works fine.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I didn't realize it was using a hack for their cable. Kind of annoying they'd have made it like this. I also have a vga box with switch so I'll give that a shot when my vga2scart finally comes in. I agree with you and others responses that fixing the AES issues should be a higher priority.
eightbitminiboss

dojima wrote:
eightbitminiboss wrote:Anyone happen to use an Avermedia Live Gamer 4K with the RT5X? I'm trying to figure out the source of audio popping.
I downloaded the audio of your video to check out the waveform, and the popping you're getting is identical to what I was getting when capturing PlayStation 4 with a certain HDMI splitter set to a specific set of EDIDs with the Live Gamer 4K. As in your case, audio was completely fine on my display, but capture was problematic. I was able to fix it by choosing a non-HDR EDID on the splitter or using a different model of splitter. Sorry I can't be of additional help.

I'd recommend contacting AVerMedia about it. It's clearly an issue with the capture card. Others have reported audio trouble under various circumstances as well. I reported my issue to them, but, being that they advise against the use of splitters, they weren't at all motivated to fix the issue.
I'm with you that it's an AverMedia issue. I just picked up an Elgato 4K60 Pro mk.2 from my local Micro Center and I'm going through the paces and I'm not getting any popping, in OBS at least. Their 4K Capture Utility is a bit finicky but I don't plan on using it, so no great loss if I end up keeping this card instead. I personally can't say my switch is a problem considering I've gone through half a dozen of them that just didn't work with the card at all and I wasn't looking to look for another. The thing was I still getting the popping without the switch in the chain anyway.
Steven

Post by Steven »

daty2k1 wrote:
Steven wrote:

Yes my bad, I was thinking polyphase scanlines.

Maybe "washed out" is a bit strong and I agree that it is not that bad. But when switching between settings, it is quite noticable and I prefer the colors without it.

However, I know it's maybe not ideal to have yet another setting, at least with the current menu.
Yeah, some of the scanline settings seem to be more washed out than others, as is the medium video low-pass filter. I will say that I kind of miss the aperture grille scanlines from 1.74 that got removed in 1.77, though, as those looked much closer to what my Trinitron looks like than any other fake scanlines I've ever seen, even if the width between the scanlines was far too wide. Something like the behaviour of the aperture grille from 1.74 where the vertical lines are far more pronounced than the horizontal lines, especially over white/etc., where the horizontal lines basically disappear completely, but with the same mask size of the aperture grille from the other firmware versions would be a perfect match for my Trinitron, but I guess this is how it is.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Someone just pointed out to me that some Atari 2600 games don't play nicely with the 5X. Battlezone for instance is completely unplayable as the screen is a flickery mess. Warlords does something similar but only when the ball hits a brick. Buck Rogers also has issues and there may be others.

It's weird that the 5X works fine for most games but completely fails on a few. I wonder what those games are doing that break the 5X?
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Tempest_2084 wrote:Someone just pointed out to me that some Atari 2600 games don't play nicely with the 5X. Battlezone for instance is completely unplayable as the screen is a flickery mess. Warlords does something similar but only when the ball hits a brick. Buck Rogers also has issues and there may be others.

It's weird that the 5X works fine for most games but completely fails on a few. I wonder what those games are doing that break the 5X?
Displaced Gamers did a nice video on it:

The Atari 2600, Analog Video, Scalers, and the Agony of 240p Ambiguity

Short answer: We need ROM hacks and flashcarts to run said hacks. :?
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Triple Lei wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:Someone just pointed out to me that some Atari 2600 games don't play nicely with the 5X. Battlezone for instance is completely unplayable as the screen is a flickery mess. Warlords does something similar but only when the ball hits a brick. Buck Rogers also has issues and there may be others.

Displaced Gamers did a nice video on it:

The Atari 2600, Analog Video, Scalers, and the Agony of 240p Ambiguity

Short answer: We need ROM hacks and flashcarts to run said hacks. :?
Wow thanks, that video explained everything, I'll have to get the hacked files then.
eightbitminiboss

Found a couple more problem games that do weird resolution switching for anyone using 1440p and certain capable capture cards or LG displays.

Earlier in this thread, Castlevania Bloodlines on the Genesis was one of these games. New games where I found the same issues are King Arthur's World (primarily the intro) and RPM Racing (aka Radical Psycho Machine Racing) on the SNES. If you're affected, lowering the RetroTINK's output resolution to 1080p or 1200p will sidestep it.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

eightbitminiboss wrote:Found a couple more problem games that do weird resolution switching for anyone using 1440p and certain capable capture cards or LG displays.

Earlier in this thread, Castlevania Bloodlines on the Genesis was one of these games. New games where I found the same issues are King Arthur's World (primarily the intro) and RPM Racing (aka Radical Psycho Machine Racing) on the SNES. If you're affected, lowering the RetroTINK's output resolution to 1080p or 1200p will sidestep it.
That's probably why I never saw it. I always have my 5X set to either 720p or 1080p as I have an older TV.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Just discovered I get no video on my Raiden 2 board but the same Supergun works fine with other PCB's, is it related to this and is there something on the RT5X I can adjust?
zakk wrote:The Raiden Fighters games have a vertical refresh rate that most LCDs aren't going to handle (54hz). If your'e connecting directly to an LCD panel, even through svideo or composite that is why you aren't getting video. It's not an issue with the supergun, it's the display. The only way that game is going to work on a random Dell LCD panel is if you use a scaler that also does frame rate conversion.

shmupsrocks wrote:What connection type are you using for RGB to those TVs? I need to buy a small 9" composite CRT just for testing.

Care to give any of those a try with composite (or S-video) to see if there's an incompatibility with the encoder in the Sigma?

EDIT: FWIW it's not Raiden Fighters 2 I'm having trouble with it's Raiden Fighters 1.