shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 pm 

TooBeaucoup wrote:
SuperSpongo wrote:
So, about that 1024x768 mode... is Mike still visiting here every once in a while or should I make an account and bother him on Twitter? :oops:

Mike checks in here on occasion but is waaaayyyyy more active on Twitter.

I really wish he was at least on Facebook. I don't have nor want to have a Twitter account so this forum is the only way I have to ask him questions (short of emailing him directly I suppose).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:22 pm 

Tempest_2084 wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:
SuperSpongo wrote:
So, about that 1024x768 mode... is Mike still visiting here every once in a while or should I make an account and bother him on Twitter? :oops:

Mike checks in here on occasion but is waaaayyyyy more active on Twitter.

I really wish he was at least on Facebook. I don't have nor want to have a Twitter account so this forum is the only way I have to ask him questions (short of emailing him directly I suppose).

He's also on Facebook, and he's on Facebook more than here, but definitely on Twitter the most. However, I have seen him recommend using email if you really want to get a hold of him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 pm 

TooBeaucoup wrote:
He's also on Facebook, and he's on Facebook more than here, but definitely on Twitter the most. However, I have seen him recommend using email if you really want to get a hold of him.

Oh is he? That's good to know. I've had minor questions, but I really didn't want to bother him since I'm sure he's busy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:31 pm 

Has anyone connected their Supergun via Scart to the 5x? I'm wondering if I need to add a resistor on the sync line from a Sigma Raijin? ty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:45 pm 

I'm not sure if this has been asked. Can I run the target 540p custom firmware on a retrotink 2x PRO or does the 2x PRO not have the ability to framebuffer. I think a lot more people would buy the 2x PRO if they owned an HDCRT..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 am 

The 2X series do not have framebuffers. The multiformat can do 720p and 1080i passthrough with overclocking and sampling limitations, but I don't think it can scale anything but 240 lines per field/frame to 480 lines per frame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:06 am 

Guspaz wrote:
The 2X series do not have framebuffers. The multiformat can do 720p and 1080i passthrough with overclocking and sampling limitations, but I don't think it can scale anything but 240 lines per field/frame to 480 lines per frame.

Well... That’s that then. I thought so but wanted to confirm..

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:35 am 

digitron wrote:
Has anyone connected their Supergun via Scart to the 5x? I'm wondering if I need to add a resistor on the sync line from a Sigma Raijin? ty

Yeah, you will want to slap a 470 ohm resistor on dere 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:03 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
digitron wrote:

Yeah, you will want to slap a 470 ohm resistor on dere 8)

Thank you!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:27 am 

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, I think this is the place where I could get my answers regarding the RetroTINK 5X
I recently bought this product to play mostly games from my childhood (PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Wii) so mostly 480i/p games (except PS1 of course)

I play all the systems using D-Terminal cables (because I live in Japan), through a switcher and then converted to component to the TINK 5X and then to a 1080p TV

I really like the look the aperture grill scanlines, it really helps to get the 'CRT' look I always remember

I would like to understand more (or even create an up to date comprehensive guide) about the different 1080p output resolutions (FILL, OVER, UNDER) and the different inputs to get integer scaling to get crisp scanlines

From my understanding 1080p FILL is not suited for this scenario so I'll skip this one

For 240p games it should be okay to go to 1080p OVER (and lose some overscan areas but that's okay)
5X 240p -> 1200p in a 1080p window

Then comes the tricky 480i/p,
4X 480i and 2X 480p -> 960p in a 1080p window (if I understand correctly)

First of all I don't understand why the aspect ratio seems off (or at least different for 4:3 games) compared to 1080p FILL or OVER, do you think it might be possible to get a workaround in future update?
I especially noticed that in GTA San Andreas, in 1080p FILL or OVER the Radar seems like a circle, but in 1080p UNDER, it is more squeezed in the top and bottom (Sorry I don't have any screenshot right now, but I think the get the idea)

Also why it is impossible to get a proper 16:9 aspect ratio for 480p games (especially the will)? Is it the limitation of the TINK hardware or the weird specs of the video signal?

Thank you so much for your expertise!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 pm 

Pretty sure it doesn’t based on what I’ve found, but just wanted to confirm: the RT5X doesn’t have any general-purpose horizontal shift+stretch options, correct? Just the predefined per console profiles? Asking because the few places I know such options have come in handy with OSSC are:

- Gamecube and Wii 480p content, which has variable horizontal resolutions per game
- Some PS1 games that are way off center relative to standard spec
- Nonstandard or custom modes from emulation boxes
- 512px wide PS2 games when forced to 480p (though in this case the signal would be RGsB and so not directly compatible with the RetroTink anyways…)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45