shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 am 

Well I saw the tweet awhile back, and I was instantly excited by it. Granted I could likely be covered with an OSSC + RetroTink SCART for my HDTV, but I really love that this 5X/Pro will have every input I desire on it. Basically like my old DVDO had on it. I imagine the price will be quite a bit less than the OSSC Pro has been rumored to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 pm 

I'm excited. Auto-sync is the ONE feature I have been clamoring for. Just push one button, let it auto adjust like a LCD with VGA input has, and done. Folks using vintage computers with an upscaler will use this feature. Gaming consoles don't switch resolutions all that much, but a vintage PC or something like the Amiga certainly will.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:46 pm 

Looks like it has motion adaptive deinterlacing:

I believe you need to tailor the method for video vs interlaced games. Looking forward to impressions of this from those familiar with good game deinterlacing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:04 pm 

It's good to see it's staying synced up with a VCR. That particular clip isn't necessarily a torture test for deinterlacing, though. Try H-Street Shackle Me Not. Skateboarding vid gives plenty of horizontal movement and they use a wide angle lens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:35 am 

orange808 wrote:
It's good to see it's staying synced up with a VCR. That particular clip isn't necessarily a torture test for deinterlacing, though. Try H-Street Shackle Me Not. Skateboarding vid gives plenty of horizontal movement and they use a wide angle lens.

Heh, nice taste in skate videos, man! My buddies and I make skate videos and always put out a limited VHS release. We even made a video for Adult Swim!

https://youtu.be/409xTk1kD1c

^ thar she blows

https://youtu.be/ubLbTHl3Jq8

^ and that is the newest video. Sorry, always get excited to see other people who enjoy skating in our hobbyist circle ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:53 pm 

Looks like VHS playback stability has improved with this hardware. The 2X was kinda lackluster in that department and required a full frame TBC in the chain to properly capture without freezing/frame drops.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 am 

NJRoadfan wrote:
Looks like VHS playback stability has improved with this hardware. The 2X was kinda lackluster in that department and required a full frame TBC in the chain to properly capture without freezing/frame drops.

What TBC do you use? I have an Extron YCS 100, “breaks” 240p in composite -> Y/C digital decoding (its encoding the opposite way shouldn’t, according to specs) but that’s fine since I don’t use it for games, heh. Hopefully I’ll get a nice S-VHS VCR someday though...o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 am 

kitty666cats wrote:
NJRoadfan wrote:

What TBC do you use? I have an Extron YCS 100, “breaks” 240p in composite -> Y/C digital decoding (its encoding the opposite way shouldn’t, according to specs) but that’s fine since I don’t use it for games, heh. Hopefully I’ll get a nice S-VHS VCR someday though...o

S-VHS machines have dated and bad comb filters. You'll probably be happier feeding composite directly to the Retrotink5x-Pro. I seriously doubt the comb filter will underperform an old S-VHS deck.

Offline Profile