HD Retrovision 6ft 5X RCA Male-To-Male Cable , re-stock ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
s8n

HD Retrovision 6ft 5X RCA Male-To-Male Cable , re-stock ?

Post by s8n »

hi members , is Castlemania Games going to re-stock the HD Retrovision 6ft 5X RCA Male-To-Male Cable ?. The reason i ask is 8bitmods shipping fee is around $71 USD which is way more than Castlemania Games.

chat soon
Fudoh

Re: HD Retrovision 6ft 5X RCA Male-To-Male Cable , re-stock

Post by Fudoh »

I like HD Retrovision's cables, EXCEPT for this one.

You can get high quality component and audio cables on ebay and Amazon for very little money. Even once ultra expensive cables that retailed for way above $100. I don't understand why there's a need for a regular 6ft component cable from them.
s8n

Post by s8n »

hi Fudoh , are you saying they don't perform well?. My intention is for component cables to go between a RetroTink RGB2COMP and my Sony CRT (which takes component).
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

There's no benefit of these versus any nice-looking M to M component cables you can find at the thrift store for ~$5.

Here is a good deal I saw on eBay recently:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlona-1m-3ft- ... 1047410559

Some with audio, too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Component- ... 2117795510
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-RCA-Componen ... 2311042604
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREN-COMPONE ... 3803266511

Basically, look for anything that looks thick & sturdy... gold connectors are always a good sign.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

s8n wrote:hi Fudoh , are you saying they don't perform well?. My intention is for component cables to go between a RetroTink RGB2COMP and my Sony CRT (which takes component).
no they perform great, he's saying no need for new production ones when you can get professional quality surplus for peanuts
GrimShins

Post by GrimShins »

Fudoh wrote:I don't understand why there's a need for a regular 6ft component cable from them.
High margin product with very low risk of being DOA from the factory, useful for subsidizing the development and manufacturing of costlier/higher failure rate product, such as transcoding cables. Maybe the utility for consumers is debatable, but for a company they're a godsend. Personally, when I need something like M/M cables, I prefer buying from a company whose other ventures I wish to support.
Mrmatt3465

Post by Mrmatt3465 »

I purchased the HD Retrovision cables when they came back into stock earlier this month. I see a bunch of cheaper alternatives posted from eBay here though. While they’re cheaper, I didn’t see if any of those options were actually shielded though. You get shielded cables with HD retrovision. I think RetroRGB has a video on shielded cables if you want to know the difference. I also have the HD retrovision SNES component cables and they’re fantastic. I was very pleased with the quality of the product so it was a no brainer to spend money on the same company for a product I knew was going to be high quality.

It was a whopping $20

Matt
orange808

Post by orange808 »

It depends. In most small simple setups, an inexpensive component cable should be fine.

If you really care about shielding and plan to run multiple inputs to your switch, you probably want BNC cables like these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=91
We apologise for the inconvenience
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

(Disclaimer: am official distributor) The HD Retrovision cables are coax, so not quite the same as basic shielded cables. They already had the cable stock and connectors, so they figured, why not put the RCA connectors on both ends and sell that. And while I'm obviously biased, I've had enough bad experiences with other component cables to appreciate them. I particularly hate the "just stick RCA plugs on full-sized RG59 cables" like what Monoprice sells and many of the cheaper ones posted here. The RG59 style cables are so heavy and inflexible that they put an incredible amount of strain on the connection point, and I've had the RCA plugs on the Monoprice cables snap off just from the torque.

Thicker isn't always better when it becomes obnoxious or impractical to use. If you really want to go for something from the thrift store, at least buy something that uses smaller coax like the HDRV cables.

I can't speak for Castlemania, but personally I'm expecting to restock the male-to-male cables in February or March.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RG-59 is impedance controlled 75-ohm coax and is lower loss per meter than mini coax

you might not like it, but it is objectively superior (even if the difference is not noticeable)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

RG59 is fine for long runs, but we're talking six feet here. And if you want to use RG59 for a long run, you're better off using BNC cables for that and coupling them to something more flexible for the last bit of distance. With stuff like the Monoprice ones, you're almost likely to drag your component off the table. I know that they wanted to raise my DAC off two of its feet until I repositioned the cable to push against the wall instead.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

meh I've never been bothered by its rigidity. Use heavier gear 8)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

My biggest problem with the Monoprice component cables hasn't been the rigidity (although it can be annoying)--it's that they, for whatever reason, decided to attach the left and right audio channels to opposite sides of the cable rather than pair them together. In my experience, that usually results in one audio connector being slightly less connected than the other because they don't have as similar a length as they would if they were next to each other. :/