60hz Wii VC games via RGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

60hz Wii VC games via RGB?

Post by andykara2003 »

I’m looking to play virtual console N64 games on my NTSC Wii at 480i via RGB. As far as I can tell, apart from transcoding, the only way to get RGB out of an NTSC Wii is by hacking the console & changing the region of the Wii to PAL.

Obviously the N64 VC games I have on the console are the 60Hz versions, but in Europe all the N64 VC games were the slowed-down 50Hz PAL versions. My question is: will my NTSC N64 games run fine at 60Hz after I switch the console’s region to PAL? I’m wondering if the console will recognise that the VC games are from the wrong region and refuse to run them or run them incorrectly.
fernan1234

Re: 60hz Wii VC games via RGB?

Post by fernan1234 »

I think you will have problems with some titles, both disc images as well as VC games. It depends on whether they were coded to run some region checks or not.

And for most cases you don't have to change your console's region to get 15khz RGB @ 60hz. On an NTSC console you just have to run your games using something like USBLoaderGX or Configurable USB Loader with "force PAL60" mode turned on. A few titles may still not work with this mode on, but most should be fine.

Another option is to use a GCVideo-based solution.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks for the reply - sounds about right from my research. As an alternative, I’m wondering if it’s possible to run NTSC N64 VC games on my PAL Wii? I wouldn’t want to use an unofficial emulator, just the official VC games.

EDIT: I’m thinking the only way to get around this while running the games 100% perfectly might be with WiiDual.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

There's another way. It's software patching.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Extrems wrote:There's another way. It's software patching.
Ahh OK thanks. Something else just occurred to me though. I have another Wii (NTSC) that’s been modded with WiiDual - so I can get RGB out of that. My N64 VC games are on the unmodded console though - I bought them all and I’d buy them again on the WiiDual console but of course the Wii shop’s closed. I’m wondering - if I hack the WiiDual one, is there a way of getting the VC N64 library on it exactly the same as I have on the other one? By the same I mean that it’s Nintendo’s code running on their emulator on the homepage, looking and playing exactly the same as if I downloaded them from Nintendo? I prefer to know I’m playing the way Nintendo intended rather than on external emulators etc.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

andykara2003 wrote: if I hack the WiiDual one, is there a way of getting the VC N64 library on it exactly the same as I have on the other one? By the same I mean that it’s Nintendo’s code running on their emulator on the homepage, looking and playing exactly the same as if I downloaded them from Nintendo? I prefer to know I’m playing the way Nintendo intended rather than on external emulators etc.
Yes, you just need to install the VC titles (.wad files) using a Wad installer homebrew app. The main thing to be careful about when installing wads is that there is enough room left for them in the Wii's internal memory. Your saves can also be transferred, most are not protected. It is possible to transfer protected save files but a specialized homebrew app is required for that also.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Would be much easier to do a full nand dump of the VC Wii in usb GX loader or WiiFlow then using that nand dump in GXloader or Wiiflow on the other Wii.
Will have all your saves still too.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Syntax wrote:Would be much easier to do a full nand dump of the VC Wii in usb GX loader or WiiFlow then using that nand dump in GXloader or Wiiflow on the other Wii.
Will have all your saves still too.
Brilliant, thanks for that; you posted as I was looking into it & going down a bit of a rabbit hole. This sounds perfect - if I have it right, this means I’d do a carbon copy of the NTSC Wii that has the VC games on it to the PAL Wii that has WiiDual. Would I need to do a region change of the PAL WiiDual Wii TO NTSC first with something like Anyregion Changer?

(Apologies, I’d previously said the WiiDual Wii was NTSC, but it’s actually PAL. The other Wii with the VC titles on that I’m transferring from is NTSC).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

No I wouldnt do it that way, id run your NAND dump from one Wii as an EMUNAND on the other Wii.

You cant really dump the entire NAND from one to the other unless you know how to edit the first 8 bits. Its very easy to brick like that.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Syntax wrote:No I wouldnt do it that way, id run your NAND dump from one Wii as an EMUNAND on the other Wii.
Cheers. I’m a complete beginner on this & am looking into it. I don’t want to hassle you about each stage etc. on here. Would you know the best place to go to get started? I found this thread but not sure if it’s outdated:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-mod ... nd.333219/