Will the OSSC Pro be a "Framemeister killer"?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware

Will the OSSC Pro make the Framemeister obsolete?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 45

Fudoh

Re: Will the OSSC Pro be a "Framemeister killer"?

Post by Fudoh »

What is the best codec to capture gameplay in, and how come the Framemeister can't output in it? What is the best codec that the OSSC can do?
the output of a video processor is uncompressed video. A codec is an algorithm you apply to a video recording to shrink down the size. The usual consumer codecs work in 4:2:0, which means that the color channes only carry a quarter of the actual resolution. The Framemeister's internal scaling chip works in 4:2:2 (= half resolution color). The OSSC processes and outputs in 4:4:4 (full resolution color).
The guy in this video says that the OSSC is not as user friendly as the Framemeister
not really, since you don't need the advanced settings on the OSSC.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:
What is the best codec to capture gameplay in, and how come the Framemeister can't output in it? What is the best codec that the OSSC can do?
the output of a video processor is uncompressed video. A codec is an algorithm you apply to a video recording to shrink down the size. The usual consumer codecs work in 4:2:0, which means that the color channes only carry a quarter of the actual resolution. The Framemeister's internal scaling chip works in 4:2:2 (= half resolution color). The OSSC processes and outputs in 4:4:4 (full resolution color).
The guy in this video says that the OSSC is not as user friendly as the Framemeister
not really, since you don't need the advanced settings on the OSSC.
I understand what this means now. You’re saying that the OSSC maintains 4:4:4, which is full color resolution. How come the Frameister does 4:4:2 instead of 4:4:4?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

because at its core the FM uses a scaling processor that was created for home theater products (made by Marvell) and for anything movie related 4:2:2 is completely fine, since all media (streaming, broadcast and DVD/BD) are 4:2:0 only.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The OSSC is more user friendly in my opinion. Provided that when you see an option that you don't know what means, you're capable of leaving it alone.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:because at its core the FM uses a scaling processor that was created for home theater products (made by Marvell) and for anything movie related 4:2:2 is completely fine, since all media (streaming, broadcast and DVD/BD) are 4:2:0 only.
In what way is the OSSC better at handling 480i than the Framemeister. I use the Framemeister to play PS2 games using official PS3 component cables.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's not. Nothing is better than the FM when it comes to 480i handling.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Some say the GBSControl matches, if not bests, the FM's handling of 480i. Maybe not, but tegardless, I'd say that the FM is overrated in this regard. What good is high quality deinterlacing when the video output itself is lossy and blurry compared to other options?

Also, even the OSSC's bob-deinterlace combined with 100% scanlines (and maybe even better with some hybrid scanlines adjustment) can be considered superior for those who prefer something that looks closer (but certainly not identical) to what an interlaced picture looks like on a CRT.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

other options like deinterlacing in post with OBS also work well, with similar lag. I loved the framemeister for years but at this point it's just completely unnecessary for my purposes. Would have to actively search out a use case for it to make its way out of storage.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Some say the GBSControl matches, if not bests, the FM's handling of 480i. Maybe not, but tegardless
DAY and NIGHT. Not even remotely close.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:
Some say the GBSControl matches, if not bests, the FM's handling of 480i. Maybe not, but tegardless
The difference is that big? That's surprising. But either way, the flaws in the FM's video output are more than enough to offset any merits of its deinterlacing chip.

And we already have overall better options, and I'd bet a lot that the OSSC Pro will grant all of them plus more, even if not from day 1.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

fernan1234 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
The difference is that big? That's surprising. But either way, the flaws in the FM's video output are more than enough to offset any merits of its deinterlacing chip.

And we already have overall better options, and I'd bet a lot that the OSSC Pro will grant all of them plus more, even if not from day 1.
It really isn't surprising at all.

I don't know anything about open source deinterlacing, although I doubt there are many high quality and low latency examples out there. Is there anything out there to jumpstart OSSC Pro development? I expect the OSSC Pro will ship with simple bob deinterlacing and a separate weave option.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The difference is that big?
the GBS-C really doesn't perform very well, while the FM is hands down the best there is.
But either way, the flaws in the FM's video output are more than enough to offset any merits of its deinterlacing chip.
you really think so ? I don't use the FM very often, simply because I'm not often tempted to play any interlaced stuff, but whenever it's hooked up, I deliberately throw in some 480i material just to be reminded how far ahead of anything else it really is. And it always shines.
Last edited by Fudoh on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Fudoh wrote:you really think so ? I don't use the FM very often, simply because I'm not often tempted to play any interlaced stuff, but whenever it's hooked up, I deliberately throw in some 480i material just to be reminded how far ahead of anything else it really us. And it always shines.
Yup. If I didn't have other options via the capture card, I'd have my PS2 hooked up to the framemeister for 480i, and I'd probably skip over using 480p entirely. It's extremely high quality, and most of the framemeister's issues can be worked around (not using component, 480p, using accurate scaling profiles, etc.). It's a good device if you use a lot of 480i and want something that's fairly plug and play,, and I expect it to remain a reasonable option if you have one for that specific use case even after the OSSC Pro is available. I really don't foresee another solution that meaningful eclipses its 480i handling. Where do you even go from there without adding a shitload of lag?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:you really think so ?
Well to be fair it has been about 3 years since I sold my FM after being thoroughly unimpressed by everything about it, including how it displayed 480i games. That was partly influenced by still having access to a CRT and seeing 480i displayed natively on it. I even felt that my HDCRT of the time, with its forced scaling of 480i to 1080i, looked better. And then I see interlaced video on a high end broadcast monitor, and that's as good as interlaced pictures get.

On the other hand I recently saw what a GBSControl can do and felt that it is something one can live with, though of course not close to what even a consumer CRT can do. But I certainly take your word that the FM does a better job purely when it comes to deinterlacing video.