PicoPSU or ReSaturn PSU for Sega Saturn?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
robodude00

PicoPSU or ReSaturn PSU for Sega Saturn?

Post by robodude00 »

Hey guys, I live in Australia and want to import an NTSC Saturn(probably from Japan because they are much cheaper and can play US games easily with an Action Replay card). But the question is, I have to change the internal power supply. Which of the two options listed would be best. From what I have seen, the ReSaturn looks much easier to install and seem to be solder-free? It also supports all versions of the Saturn where the Pico is more specific. The ReSaturn is more expensive though. What are the other pros and cons of each? Are there any better options than these two? Thanks heaps in advance!
bobrocks95

Re: PicoPSU or ReSaturn PSU for Sega Saturn?

Post by bobrocks95 »

robodude00 wrote:Hey guys, I live in Australia and want to import an NTSC Saturn(probably from Japan because they are much cheaper and can play US games easily with an Action Replay card). But the question is, I have to change the internal power supply. Which of the two options listed would be best. From what I have seen, the ReSaturn looks much easier to install and seem to be solder-free? It also supports all versions of the Saturn where the Pico is more specific. The ReSaturn is more expensive though. What are the other pros and cons of each? Are there any better options than these two? Thanks heaps in advance!
YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Listai

Post by Listai »

I'd go with the Resaturn - I'm also in Australia. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality and ease of installation. Those PicoPSU boards can vary wildly in quality.

I put mine in my model 2 a week or two ago and it's been perfect.
Kez

Post by Kez »

bobrocks95 wrote:YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.
That's interesting! Was there a particular marking or component that is easy to spot to confirm this?
robodude00

Post by robodude00 »

Listai wrote:I'd go with the Resaturn - I'm also in Australia. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality and ease of installation. Those PicoPSU boards can vary wildly in quality.

I put mine in my model 2 a week or two ago and it's been perfect.
Thanks for that, can I ask what external power adaptor you used?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

There is no reason you should ever swap a functional OEM power supply for one of these cottage industry hack jobs
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

maxtherabbit wrote:There is no reason you should ever swap a functional OEM power supply for one of these cottage industry hack jobs
Except the C64 fire bomb waiting to happen!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Kez wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.
That's interesting! Was there a particular marking or component that is easy to spot to confirm this?
I'll get a picture if I can't find one online, but I think it was printed right on the silkscreen- IIRC it might be an off the shelf part as well?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Listai

Post by Listai »

maxtherabbit wrote:There is no reason you should ever swap a functional OEM power supply for one of these cottage industry hack jobs
This isn't about pointlessly replacing a functional OEM power supply for the fun of it - this is for people in PAL territories using NTSC consoles.
robodude00 wrote:
Thanks for that, can I ask what external power adaptor you used?
I purchased one directly from the creator of the ReSaturn.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

While I prefer to use all stock components in my consoles, I had a PSU causing wavy interference on my Saturn. I put in new caps, new voltage regulators and it still didn't fix the problem. I ended up getting a replacement PSU from https://mobiusstriptechnologies.com/pro ... wer-strip/ I couldn't be happier with the rock solid quality of this model. I didn't really have any other choice aside from buying some used Saturns, crossing my fingers and hoping they had a good PSU or one that I could service back to working order. At the end of the day, just buying an aftermarket one made the most sense. Eventually, we won't have originals anymore and even the ones we do will eventually get to a point where they can't be serviced back to working order very easily.

However, I agree that if your PSU is working properly, I really don't get why people would swap them out.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Why not just buy a 240V > 110V stepdown converter instead?
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

Not directly related, but I just ordered a ReSaturn for my NTSC Saturn (I am in the UK). I was on the search for a 12v PSU to go with it and spent a while trawling tech sheets and settled on the 12v version of this: https://www.xppower.com/product/AKM65-Series

I don't fancy taking the chance with a cheap model from Amazon and they are failrly priced and availble from Digikey and RS Components.

I have used these before with the Dreamcast PSU replacements: http://www.leicke.eu/en/products/NT33402

I've read Bob at RetroRGBs view on power supplies and not replacing them with these 3rd party ones and he makes a valid point that it is unlikey someone is going to be able to do a better job than the OEM. For me it just made things easy being in a PAL territory.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Couldn't agree more. I don't see these as an upgrade and the originals are fairly well made.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I definitely recommend sticking to OEM for all systems. The only case in which I see a third party being of use is Sega Genesis with Sega CD combo. I forget the name of the maker but there's a guy who makes a great one that combines Genesis with Sega CD and 32X into one power adapter instead of 3 separate ones. There's a good case to be made for that one.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:I definitely recommend sticking to OEM for all systems. The only case in which I see a third party being of use is Sega Genesis with Sega CD combo. I forget the name of the maker but there's a guy who makes a great one that combines Genesis with Sega CD and 32X into one power adapter instead of 3 separate ones. There's a good case to be made for that one.
This dude?

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collecti ... ega-cd-32x
Kez

Post by Kez »

Okay so I have been running my NTSC Model 1 Saturn with a step-down transformer, I just took a look at the PSU and it does show "1.25A250V" in the bottom left corner (click to enlarge). Does this mean it can be used without a stepdown at 230VAC? I thought I'd double check in case I am missing something obvious!
Blacksheep
Banned User

Post by Blacksheep »

Kez, that marking is about the fuse. Please don't plug that PSU into 230V mains.

Also don't let that confuse you when it comes to the PS1: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694
Kez

Post by Kez »

Haha okay thanks! :lol:
EVN

Post by EVN »

bobrocks95 wrote:
robodude00 wrote:Hey guys, I live in Australia and want to import an NTSC Saturn(probably from Japan because they are much cheaper and can play US games easily with an Action Replay card). But the question is, I have to change the internal power supply. Which of the two options listed would be best. From what I have seen, the ReSaturn looks much easier to install and seem to be solder-free? It also supports all versions of the Saturn where the Pico is more specific. The ReSaturn is more expensive though. What are the other pros and cons of each? Are there any better options than these two? Thanks heaps in advance!
YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.

Hi,

Sorry to necro this thread, is this true? Did you ever find the picture?

Cheers!
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I'm in Australia also, I ended up getting this one for my Japanese Saturn.
Was super easy to install and has worked perfectly for me with no issues since I bought it in May.
The price seems to have doubled since I bought it though.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124517862230
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Kez wrote:Okay so I have been running my NTSC Model 1 Saturn with a step-down transformer, I just took a look at the PSU and it does show "1.25A250V" in the bottom left corner (click to enlarge). Does this mean it can be used without a stepdown at 230VAC? I thought I'd double check in case I am missing something obvious!
EVN wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to necro this thread, is this true? Did you ever find the picture?

Cheers!
Sorry that I took so long, but this has been on the back of my mind for a while. I took a picture to confirm that mine is labelled 100-120V AC on the silkscreen, so definitely not fit for Europe but seems like it's just fine for US and Japan. The back label does only specify 100V AC.

So interesting, but not for European users sorry. I don't see this mentioned much for US importers though. 50Hz though oddly! Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up for 240V.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM ... authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM ... authuser=0
azmun

Post by azmun »

thchardcore wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I don't see these as an upgrade and the originals are fairly well made.
I agree OEM are best. But besides the reasons some members here have already mentioned (adapting the power supply to different regions, replacing aging/failing components), another motive for swapping to "cottage industry" PSUs is the belief that you are getting an "upgrade." It seems modding and hacking jobs have become vogue and as with many things in the tech world, components are improved--in this case simplified and lower temperature/heat to prolong the life of our consoles. Of course, another option is to repair rather than replace the OEM with parts but many consider convenience. Hence, DIY with options that don't require soldering jobs or are plug and play are appealing or considered.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

bobrocks95 wrote: So interesting, but not for European users sorry. I don't see this mentioned much for US importers though. 50Hz though oddly! Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up for 240V.
That’s because east and west Japan are using 50 and 60Hz power generators respectively. The 50/60Hz label just means that it could be used anywhere in Japan.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Japan-st ... em?share=1
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Konsolkongen wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: So interesting, but not for European users sorry. I don't see this mentioned much for US importers though. 50Hz though oddly! Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up for 240V.
That’s because east and west Japan are using 50 and 60Hz power generators respectively. The 50/60Hz label just means that it could be used anywhere in Japan.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Japan-st ... em?share=1
Ah, knew they had some 110V areas, but didn't know they had 50Hz in some places. Must have been a huge headache in the past.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I bet it was :)