shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: PicoPSU or ReSaturn PSU for Sega Saturn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 pm 

Hey guys, I live in Australia and want to import an NTSC Saturn(probably from Japan because they are much cheaper and can play US games easily with an Action Replay card). But the question is, I have to change the internal power supply. Which of the two options listed would be best. From what I have seen, the ReSaturn looks much easier to install and seem to be solder-free? It also supports all versions of the Saturn where the Pico is more specific. The ReSaturn is more expensive though. What are the other pros and cons of each? Are there any better options than these two? Thanks heaps in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: PicoPSU or ReSaturn PSU for Sega Saturn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:30 pm 

robodude00 wrote:
Hey guys, I live in Australia and want to import an NTSC Saturn(probably from Japan because they are much cheaper and can play US games easily with an Action Replay card). But the question is, I have to change the internal power supply. Which of the two options listed would be best. From what I have seen, the ReSaturn looks much easier to install and seem to be solder-free? It also supports all versions of the Saturn where the Pico is more specific. The ReSaturn is more expensive though. What are the other pros and cons of each? Are there any better options than these two? Thanks heaps in advance!

YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm 

I'd go with the Resaturn - I'm also in Australia. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality and ease of installation. Those PicoPSU boards can vary wildly in quality.

I put mine in my model 2 a week or two ago and it's been perfect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
YMMV, but just as a third option, my Japanese Saturn actually had a 100-240V power supply, which you can open the console to confirm since the outside label only indicates 100V.

That's interesting! Was there a particular marking or component that is easy to spot to confirm this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm 

Listai wrote:
I'd go with the Resaturn - I'm also in Australia. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality and ease of installation. Those PicoPSU boards can vary wildly in quality.

I put mine in my model 2 a week or two ago and it's been perfect.

Thanks for that, can I ask what external power adaptor you used?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:31 pm 

There is no reason you should ever swap a functional OEM power supply for one of these cottage industry hack jobs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:50 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
There is no reason you should ever swap a functional OEM power supply for one of these cottage industry hack jobs

Except the C64 fire bomb waiting to happen!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm 

Kez wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

That's interesting! Was there a particular marking or component that is easy to spot to confirm this?

I'll get a picture if I can't find one online, but I think it was printed right on the silkscreen- IIRC it might be an off the shelf part as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:

This isn't about pointlessly replacing a functional OEM power supply for the fun of it - this is for people in PAL territories using NTSC consoles.

robodude00 wrote:

Thanks for that, can I ask what external power adaptor you used?

I purchased one directly from the creator of the ReSaturn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:

While I prefer to use all stock components in my consoles, I had a PSU causing wavy interference on my Saturn. I put in new caps, new voltage regulators and it still didn't fix the problem. I ended up getting a replacement PSU from https://mobiusstriptechnologies.com/pro ... wer-strip/ I couldn't be happier with the rock solid quality of this model. I didn't really have any other choice aside from buying some used Saturns, crossing my fingers and hoping they had a good PSU or one that I could service back to working order. At the end of the day, just buying an aftermarket one made the most sense. Eventually, we won't have originals anymore and even the ones we do will eventually get to a point where they can't be serviced back to working order very easily.

However, I agree that if your PSU is working properly, I really don't get why people would swap them out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 am 

Why not just buy a 240V > 110V stepdown converter instead?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:14 pm 

Not directly related, but I just ordered a ReSaturn for my NTSC Saturn (I am in the UK). I was on the search for a 12v PSU to go with it and spent a while trawling tech sheets and settled on the 12v version of this: https://www.xppower.com/product/AKM65-Series

I don't fancy taking the chance with a cheap model from Amazon and they are failrly priced and availble from Digikey and RS Components.

I have used these before with the Dreamcast PSU replacements: http://www.leicke.eu/en/products/NT33402

I've read Bob at RetroRGBs view on power supplies and not replacing them with these 3rd party ones and he makes a valid point that it is unlikey someone is going to be able to do a better job than the OEM. For me it just made things easy being in a PAL territory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:08 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I don't see these as an upgrade and the originals are fairly well made.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:13 pm 

I definitely recommend sticking to OEM for all systems. The only case in which I see a third party being of use is Sega Genesis with Sega CD combo. I forget the name of the maker but there's a guy who makes a great one that combines Genesis with Sega CD and 32X into one power adapter instead of 3 separate ones. There's a good case to be made for that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:33 pm 

Taiyaki wrote:
I definitely recommend sticking to OEM for all systems. The only case in which I see a third party being of use is Sega Genesis with Sega CD combo. I forget the name of the maker but there's a guy who makes a great one that combines Genesis with Sega CD and 32X into one power adapter instead of 3 separate ones. There's a good case to be made for that one.

This dude?

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collecti ... ega-cd-32x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 pm 

Okay so I have been running my NTSC Model 1 Saturn with a step-down transformer, I just took a look at the PSU and it does show "1.25A250V" in the bottom left corner (click to enlarge). Does this mean it can be used without a stepdown at 230VAC? I thought I'd double check in case I am missing something obvious!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:40 pm 

Kez, that marking is about the fuse. Please don't plug that PSU into 230V mains.

Also don't let that confuse you when it comes to the PS1: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 pm 

Haha okay thanks! :lol:

Offline Profile