Image Retention on LCD Displays from Bob Deinterlacing??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

Image Retention on LCD Displays from Bob Deinterlacing??

Post by Josh128 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/co ... reen_burn/
Hey all!

Quick question, I recently ordered an OSSC to play retro games on my HDTV; I recently read the following making me a little nervous:

“Beware of using the OSSCs Line2x (bob) deinterlacing mode on sources that display static graphics or text for a long period of time. The OSSCs deinterlacer produces a constant flickering effect. This can cause image retention/burn in to occur faster than normal.”

Is this true? Will this damage my tv?

It seems that 240p content line doubled tripled, etc would be fine. But doubling 480i content may cause burn in/retention issues, especially with Bob deinterlacing.

Any help would be appreciated! Also, what is everyone’s set up of using OSSC?
Above is self explanatory. Although "burn in" is not really possible with LCD, image retention apparently is. Never heard of this-- how, technically, does bob deinterlacing cause this issue on an LCD? They say IPS displays suffer most from it. Anyone here ever experience anything like this?

**EDIT - Its been suggested that this image retention is actually "stuck pixels". That makes a lot more sense. I guess the circuits that manipulate the liquid crystal cant handle the constant switching on and off and begin to malfunction and just stay on. This is why IPS can differ from VA panels in being more susceptible to the problem I suppose. Different manipulation circuitry.
headlesshobbs

Re: Image Retention on LCD Displays from Bob Deinterlacing??

Post by headlesshobbs »

I think the problem with bob is because the way it switches fields, it forces pixels to go through a complete cycle that makes it so they must turn off-on in addition to matching the graphic they should be showing. Most tv panels may introduce lag, but I think it's still the safest bet to keep interlace on pass-thru rather then forcing it.

Not all tv's look good doing this and x3 mode isn't fully supported.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I've experienced this on an IPS and a VA panel. I think TNs are okay? thankfully it's temporary, at least for the short sessions I've used bob-deinterlacing. Interestingly enough I saw the same temporary retention when I had left Shinobi III running on this level:

headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Does x3 mode work with computer lcd's, being that it's over 31khz?

I can do this perfectly fine on my crt monitor and it looks far better then the bob method.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Gunstar wrote:I've experienced this on an IPS and a VA panel. I think TNs are okay? thankfully it's temporary, at least for the short sessions I've used bob-deinterlacing. Interestingly enough I saw the same temporary retention when I had left Shinobi III running on this level:

Looks like its flashing at 60Hz, so likely the same strain as the 60Hz shifting done by bob deinterlacing. Interesting to note that theoretically this shouldnt adversely affect plasmas or OLEDs at all.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

It seems to be that some IPS panels are susceptible to fast flickering content. Here someone complains about a flickering gif animation. You can find people complaining about this effect with LG IPS.
https://superuser.com/questions/1494563 ... -gif-image

Problem with bob deinterlacing is that the whole screen flickers, and the bright static parts cause image retention much quicker. On my LG IPS the bright areas of a bob-deinterlaced image can 'burn in' quite badly in a few minutes. On my panel the image retention did completely fade away but it took many hours.