Extron RGB 203 rxi lights up, no inputs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Extron RGB 203 rxi lights up, no inputs

Post by HDgaming42 »

Any idea what might be wrong with my 203 rxi? The display lights up but I get "no signal" feeding it a known, good signal--all 3 inputs...

Genesis through working 203 into PVM. Then I take that VGA cable off the PVM and feed the inputs--nada. I've opened it up and dont see any blown caps. Anyone else ever seen this? Care to venture a guess? I seem to be the master of buying broken extron stuff...

HDgaming42

Re: Extron RGB 203 rxi lights up, no inputs

Post by HDgaming42 »

OK, maybe it needs a firmware update? Is that a thing?

It will accept 31kHz, but nothing below. ???

Anyone have access to the firmware on these units so I could try a flash?

Edit: so I have dataviewer up and running--this unit is a 60-508-01 running 1.00 firmware. Without an Extron account I'm not sure how I'd tell if there are any other options than what I'm on--or if maybe even a re-flash of this one would help. Checked the internal jumpers and they're set correctly.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, FW updates on the interfaces are not a thing. The 203 with Edid minder got an update once, but not the regular version and none of the other interfaces.

15khz on those has always been tricky. You're feeding a raw Genesis signal directly from the console?

What about more common 15khz signals? Maybe a component signal just to try it. The interfaces can route composite video and luma on the "G" input (but not on the sync inputs).
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Fudoh wrote:no, FW updates on the interfaces are not a thing. The 203 with Edid minder got an update once, but not the regular version and none of the other interfaces.

15khz on those has always been tricky. You're feeding a raw Genesis signal directly from the console?

What about more common 15khz signals? Maybe a component signal just to try it. The interfaces can route composite video and luma on the "G" input (but not on the sync inputs).
Thanks for the confirmation--was beginning to suspect as much by reading the manual.

I have a 203 rxi VTG that loves 15kHz--will take nearly anything I throw at it as long as it has clean sync. Had no idea the 203 had a reputation of being picky about 15kHz!

This unit is clearly flaky as it briefly took the signal from a Saturn and a SNES, but only after feeding it 31kHz first. I couldn't get it to repeat that and now nothing 15kHz passes, no matter when I introduce power, or the order of signals.

Also the unit throws E01 a lot when sending simple SIS commands like "N" or "Q". I have to change the input (which works about 50% of the time) a lot before it will accept any further commands. I suspect this thing is borked.

Already got refunded the money, but was hoping I could get it functional and offer a percentage of the money back, as most 203 units nowadays go for a lot more than I want to spend. This one was reasonable--I guess I now know why.
jmsbosss

应: Extron Rgb 203 rxi 亮起, 无输入

Post by jmsbosss »

HDgaming42 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:no, FW updates on the interfaces are not a thing. The 203 with Edid minder got an update once, but not the regular version and none of the other interfaces.

Thanks for the confirmation--was beginning to suspect as much by reading the manual.

I have a 203 rxi VTG that loves 15kHz--will take nearly anything I throw at it as long as it has clean sync. Had no idea the 203 had a reputation of being picky about 15kHz!

This unit is clearly flaky as it briefly took the signal from a Saturn and a SNES, but only after feeding it 31kHz first. I couldn't get it to repeat that and now nothing 15kHz passes, no matter when I introduce power, or the order of signals.

Also the unit throws E01 a lot when sending simple SIS commands like "N" or "Q". I have to change the input (which works about 50% of the time) a lot before it will accept any further commands. I suspect this thing is borked.

Already got refunded the money, but was hoping I could get it functional and offer a percentage of the money back, as most 203 units nowadays go for a lot more than I want to spend. This one was reasonable--I guess I now know why.
Hello, what's the difference between 203 and 203Vtg?
kitty666cats

Re: 应: Extron Rgb 203 rxi 亮起, 无输入

Post by kitty666cats »

jmsbosss wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:

Hello, what's the difference between 203 and 203Vtg?

VTG units have test patterns built-in to them, the 202 also has a VTG model