Strange new degaussing problem with my TV....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dylan1CC

Strange new degaussing problem with my TV....

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, everyone who has spent their first time degaussing a TV to play in TATE knows that if you don't do it correctly, most/all of the screen will be a blurry yellow-purple color. Well, I have been TATE'ing my RCA stereo TV for over 5 years now with little to no problem. Recently I moved my TV upstairs to shmup on my new soundsystem and now I have a weird issue. Most of the screen will TATE fine with normal color except for the bottom "right" of the screen which has a patch of yellow-purple just big enough to be distracting in game. It takes at least an hour of the TV being turned off before it will go away.

This never happened when I had my TV downstairs. Even when I'd forget to properly degauss, the color would always correct itself in just about 15 minutes after turning the TV back off. I have tried moving it 5 feet away from the sound system (thinking maybe it is some wire/line interference of some kind?) but it doesn't matter. Any ideas?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Check to make sure you don't have the TV placed too close to any large speakers. The magnets in some oversized speakers can interfere with the screen, often causing warping or degauss problems.

Magnetic interference from other objects can also intefere with the screen. I remember when I got my first cab. When I powered up a PCB to test it, the screen would go a funny yellowish colour, no matter what PCB was connected to it, and it would persist, even when I messed with all the V-hold, V-pos, color etc. Oddly enough, moving it away from a large radiator in the room fixed the problem.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It could be something silly like being near an electrical socket outlet or something.

My friend here says a vacuum cleaner wil degause a TV pretty good. Just hold it up against the tube using a window cleaning motion. As your performing this move away gently until your a fair way away.. Then pull the plug whilst its still running...

I know it sounds stupid but believe me this guy is the shitz.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moving to Hardware
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Bah. I just gave up and moved it back downstairs for a round of Mushihime-sama. No need for a Kirby this time. :P Thanks 'tho to Icarus and Richie. Oh and it's not a total loss because the shmups I have which truly benefit from the surround sound are horizontal anyways (such as Radiant and my Duo games, RS and Gate of Thunder on surround sound = aural amazement).
fraggore

Post by fraggore »

hi you can get this prob when you move a tv from one room to another as you can move into a diffrent line of magnetic flux that the earth give off. sounds silly but its true.
some tv's can get affected realy bad you might notice the screen tilting to one side as well. butt worth checking for other electrical devices and for speakers.

your tv might need to replace the degussing circuit easy to replace if your any good at soldering and should only cost about £3
hell hath no fury like a pregnant hamster