Inverted x and y axis

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
naz

Inverted x and y axis

Post by naz »

Hi,

So I learn to play 3d games since the N64 and PS1, back then the camera control was inverted (meaning you press down to look up, left to look right and so on). Somewhere along the way this was "corrected" to non-inverted x and y. Some games like zelda botw let you set the camera any way you want, but some do not (realMyst or Skyrim only let you invert the y axis, but not the x axis, which is waaaay worst; even Mario 64 on the switch is now non inverted, meaning it is unplayable to me).

If I concentrate I can use the non-inverted camera, but I die a lot and I'm mostly focus on the freaking camera and not the game, so I ended up not playing them.

My question is: is there any trick to invert the right stick permanently??? like soldering a bridge on the stick traces or plug some wires backwards inside the controllers?? some magic box to place between the controller and the console?? anything??
nmalinoski

Re: Inverted x and y axis

Post by nmalinoski »

naz wrote:My question is: is there any trick to invert the right stick permanently??? like soldering a bridge on the stick traces or plug some wires backwards inside the controllers??
While it might be possible, I would think a permanent modification would be a bad idea. You've even said it yourself that mapping is inconsistent between games; so a permanent modification might work for some games that don't let you configure camera directionality, but then be wrong for other games that configure the camera differently but also don't allow for configuration of camera directionality.
naz wrote:some magic box to place between the controller and the console?? anything??
This seems more appropriate, and likely doable for anything that has external connections for controllers (basically anything gen 6 and earlier), because you could create some kind of shim or adapter with something like a teensy and a couple switches for toggling right-stick direction.

For 7th-gen and newer, you're likely SOL, because those controllers would connect directly to the console via some form of wireless, and there might not be a way to intercept those controller signals without your controller being detected or treated as a third-party controller. (Not unlike how the DS4 can be used on the PS3, but its PS button won't work.)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

naz wrote:
My question is: is there any trick to invert the right stick permanently??? like soldering a bridge on the stick traces or plug some wires backwards inside the controllers??
I've thought about this before and I'm pretty sure it would work if you just desoldered the pins on the pots, cut them, and then run wire to the opposite side.

But I haven't had to do it yet because I mostly play on PC, and you can usually dig in the config files to invert the X-axis when they don't have the option in game.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Yes this should work, and be the simplest method as you're modifying the source before the signals go to some sort of encoding chip on the controller. However it might not be straightforward to work out which pins are which, and I would buy a cheap third party controller or ideally a knackered second hand controller and experiment on that.
I would also try to work in some sort of switch, as small as possible, that can toggle the wiring, and present it on the outside of the controller, ideally the underside I suppose.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

It's very easy to determine what pins you need to swap. The analog stick is just a simple voltage divider with a range from GND til 3.3V normally. Just swap the GND and 3.3V supplies to the analog stick and you're done. Then wire each axis up to a 2p2t switch and you're good.

Alternatively you could use a microcontroller with an ADC and a DAC (preferably at least 10bits for overhead) to reverse the axis by holding down the button in the stick for five seconds or whatever. Should be fairly simple to do and wouldn't need cutting up your controller to add switches.

I've been thinking about doing something like this myself as I play with invert Y too, though I really haven't found this to be an issue in the last few console generations. But this mod would make sense on PS2.