Help with sync issue pc to monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ninja-xyz

Help with sync issue pc to monitor

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Hi, I have a problem with the following configuration:
pc (crt emu driver)> extron 109xi> 3x bnc to female scart> scart> monitor (jvc dt-v 1710).

-With sync on green on and serration on I get good sync but the colors are altered;

- With sync on green on dssp off and serration off the image is altered in colors and highly distorted above;

With sync on green on, serration off and ddsp on the colors are correct but the image is moderately distorted at the top.

Could that be the problem? Maybe the scart fails to bring a correct signal to the monitor?
The only resolution that looks good is 480p (sync on green on, dssp on serration off), but there is always a slight distortion at the top.

All other resolutions have the problem of obvious distortion. (240p, 720p etc).

Maybe is the scart the problem? Should I put a card on the monitor with RGBHV connections in Bnc?

These are the other components of the configuration, tanx in advance:

Overkill

Re: Help with sync issue pc to monitor

Post by Overkill »

I don't know that JVC monitor, but on my Sony BVM I had the same issue and was able to resolve the distortion on top of the image, turning on the "VCR Mode" on the monitor. Check if your monitor has something like that.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

What about SoG on, SERR on, DDSP on?
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Overkill wrote:I don't know that JVC monitor, but on my Sony BVM I had the same issue and was able to resolve the distortion on top of the image, turning on the "VCR Mode" on the monitor. Check if your monitor has something like that.
Tanx, I'll check this option.
kitty666cats wrote:What about SoG on, SERR on, DDSP on?
DDSP exclude SERR.
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Maybe I understand what the problem is.
The 4x bnc to female scart adapter cannot carry a sync on green signal. I was hasty in purchasing. The description of the object reads: To enable the use of RGB games consoles and RGB computers on Sony PVM monitors which have BNC inputs for RGB and Sync (Not compatible with sync on green)...

Also the scart has the sync on luma... :|
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Na, that's not it.

The question is which kind of RGB signals your Scart input card on the monitor actually supports. Does it support SoG?

Also, the DIRECTION of a cable with BNC on one end and a FEMALE Scart socket on the other end, is almost always Scart to BNC, not the other way around. These are directional. Can you confirm the direction of the cable ?

The cable supports SoG just fine, it's usually just the Scart equipment at the end that doesn't work with it.

You should go for a RGBcS connection without Sync on Green. This requires a 4 BNC to Scart connection with the sync line connected to the correct pin (so the direction is right).

Does your Extron have a dedicated output BNC plug for composite sync ? or does it use teh H-Sync plug along with dip setting?
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Hi, the 4x bnc female scart is scart to bnc, here description of product https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... 3fb4c077bb

Extron 109xi support these signals: RGsB, RGBHV, RGBS.

RGsB, RGBHV are accepted and supported by the monitor (jvc dt-v 1710), not sure on RGBS.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Ninja-xyz wrote:Hi, the 4x bnc female scart is scart to bnc, here description of product https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... 3fb4c077bb
Yeah so it seems you’re using it the wrong way around.

Why are you trying to combine H+V sync with the Extron interface if your monitor accepts RGBHV?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strayan wrote:
Ninja-xyz wrote:Hi, the 4x bnc female scart is scart to bnc, here description of product https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... 3fb4c077bb

Why are you trying to combine H+V sync with the Extron interface if your monitor accepts RGBHV?
Well, it’s not gonna support RGBHV the way it’s set up right now... but yeah Linixbot3000 does sell those RGBHV cards! Should be a no-brainer since it is a DT-V! The RGBHV on the 15kHz-only JVCs is quite niche and silly, but it’s a damn fine option to have with the DT-V series. Although I HAVE heard many many times that RGsB is quite often the least finicky sync signal on said series.

Re-wiring a couple pins on the SCART cable with the female socket can solve this issue, anyhoo... right? I forget, pins 19 and 20...?
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

strayan wrote:

because I already had the card with the scart and the scart cable that I used with a tmh 17 ", so I tried to adapt the configuration without buying a bnc card.

kitty666cats wrote:Re-wiring a couple pins on the SCART cable with the female socket can solve this issue, anyhoo... right? I forget, pins 19 and 20...?
That would be great, I would save $ 100 (bnc card).
Can you help me on this? :lol:
On female scart:
- pin 20 is connected with bnc yellow
- pin 19 little brown wire that connects pin 19 with 20 and another little wire that connects pin 19 with 17;

Maybe i should connect the yellow wire with the green one on pin 11?

Here my scheme: (there are others little brown wire besides those mentioned

Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Fudoh wrote:
Does your Extron have a dedicated output BNC plug for composite sync? or does it use teh H-Sync plug along with dip setting?
Yes the extron have a dedicated composite sync. I tried to set everything in rgbs, but I get a frozen and highly distorted image. I'll post the image tomorrow.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Ninja-xyz wrote:
strayan wrote:

because I already had the card with the scart and the scart cable that I used with a tmh 17 ", so I tried to adapt the configuration without buying a bnc card.

kitty666cats wrote:Re-wiring a couple pins on the SCART cable with the female socket can solve this issue, anyhoo... right? I forget, pins 19 and 20...?
That would be great, I would save $ 100 (bnc card).
Can you help me on this? :lol:
On female scart:
- pin 20 is connected with bnc yellow
- pin 19 little brown wire that connects pin 19 with 20 and another little wire that connects pin 19 with 17;

Maybe i should connect the yellow wire with the green one on pin 11?

Here my scheme: (there are others little brown wire besides those mentioned

I can’t remember which pins/wires need to be switched, sorry! Also, I forget if audio pins need to be adjusted too @_@

The eBay sellers who hand-make cables will gladly wire stuff in a different direction if you message them prior to purchase asking them to do so!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

audio and sync pins are switched once for direction and once for gender. RGB and ground pins are left alone.

If you have a scart cable running to that end and with a male scart plug you have audio on pins 2/6 and sync on pin 20.

Your cable is female (so gender switch) and running into the other direction, so two switches, so again audio on pins 2/6 and sync on pin 20.

If you want to run it into the other direction, you switch sync to pin 19 and audio to 1/3 instead.

On your male/male scart cable those pins are cross-connected: 19-20, 20-19, 1-2, 2-1 and 3-6, 6-3.
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Thanks for the explanation.
So according to the diagram above (female scart), to get an RGBS signal I should move the sync (bnc yellow) on pin 19 and the audio on pins 1 and 3? Without changing the male scart?
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Ok, I've changed video sync from pin 20 to pin 19 and it's works. But... unfortunely there is a slight flickering of the image, even in progressive scan (480p). While with the sync on green the image is perfectly stable, but only in 480p... (see image posted above).

Maybe I need a female scart to bnc plus built in sync separator LM1881 (and change sync to pin 19)?
strayan

Post by strayan »

Ninja-xyz wrote: Maybe I need a female scart to bnc plus built in sync separator LM1881 (and change sync to pin 19)?
All you really need is a bog standard VGA cable and one of these https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail

Truth be told the other gear and cables you have are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strayan wrote:
Ninja-xyz wrote: Maybe I need a female scart to bnc plus built in sync separator LM1881 (and change sync to pin 19)?
All you really need is a bog standard VGA cable and one of these https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail

Truth be told the other gear and cables you have are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Or the ArcadeForge UMSA or the RetroTink VGA2SCART PCB that some people are selling. Whichever ends up being cheapest!

Does OP’s GPU not allow composite sync from CRT Emudriver? If it DOES, there’s also the retrocables.es VGA to SCART cable, and the “ZX Spectrum Next” cable from coolnovelties UK (wired for composite sync). I own the latter and can vouch for it

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelti ... 07088.html

^ has my seal of approval 100%

http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php? ... &id_lang=1

^ never tried, but good price!
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Tanx for all response but I already have UMSA and the issue is the same... (slight flickering of the image).
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Update might be useful to others: I managed to solve the problem with a 5xbnc monitor card from linuxbot on ebay. With a signal in RGBHV and the dspp on on the extron I get an excellent image at all resolutions.
I ordered a vga / 5xbnc cable to connect pc and monitor without extron to see how it goes.
Ninja-xyz

Post by Ninja-xyz »

Fine, I plugged in the direct cable vga to 5xbnc and it looks good on any resolution without jitter. I can also put the extron away. :)