Borti's NES I/O instead of recap?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dandypanty

Borti's NES I/O instead of recap?

Post by Dandypanty »

Hello all,
I recently had Voultar mod my front loader for NESRGB with the multiout as well as the power filter capacitor and expansion audio. I am having a lot of interference/video issues though. I went ahead and purchased a triad psu from castlemania just in case my oem was dying and this might have improved the issues but did not solve them. With the HDRetrovision component, I get a sort of horizontal flicker in different parts of the screen that varies in intensity from nearly unnoticeable to pretty severe. Run time doesn't help or hurt, I've noticed it worse at startup and after long play. With retrogamingcable.uk csync scart cable, I get the flicker as well as a sort of moving grid of diagonal lines. On both sets of cables, I get a fuzzy almost static around objects when the screen is scrolling left or right but only when the screen is scrolling.
Suggestion: "sounds like a power issue" from Mike Chi, Voultar, and HDRetrovision. No one has really gone back and forth with me long enough to sort it out beyond "replace your psu" and Voultar told me I was welcome to send it back for him to take a look but he's pretty certain it's nothing to do with the mod so it's really the last thing I want to do. His waitlist is crazy long right now.

So, I googled diagonal lines nesrgb and found some things about the older nesrgb regulators being faulty or fake but I only just purchased this kit from the US based store in August of this year so I don't think that could be the issue. Another thread had a guy who replaced his psu and sure enough that fixed the issue. There is another guy on Reddit from a few months ago that had the same issue of diagonal lines in the exact same orientation as mine and his has been modded by voultar as well. He never fixed the issue either.

So what about recapping the RF/AV module? It looks like a total pain in the ass but I could just purchase the I/O board that eliminates the need to recap but I'm wondering if that will interfere with the nesrgb or expansion audio mod I just did. I understand it comes with a bunch of things I don't need but it's cheap enough I don't mind so long as it's literally just installing it. Does anyone have any thoughts? I spent more money on this nes than a new ps5 and I'm frustrated that I'm not smart enough to figure out what the problem is.
Dandypanty

Re: Borti's NES I/O instead of recap?

Post by Dandypanty »