DExx-vd_isl video digitizer add-on for Intel FPGA dev boards

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
marqs

Re: DExx-vd_isl video digitizer add-on for Intel FPGA dev bo

Post by marqs »

rthorntn wrote:I have the OSSC remote, when I press Menu I can see a flash of the green LED on the de10 but no OSD.
Not sure how that is possible assuming you have a standard OSSC L336 remote, but you could try entering remote binding function by holding PCB KEY0 (near GPIO1 connector) during power-on. Also, are you sure the remote is on OSSC mode (press 'TV')? Recent versions of the remote have OSSC Pro and Framemeister keycodes programmed into DVB and HIFI slots which would be detected as valid IR codes (i.e. LED blink) but without any binding/functionality.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

marqs wrote:Which lag you specifically want to test? If you just want to test display lag with 1920x1440 source, then Time Sleuth (if supported or possible to request custom fw) or DE10-Nano with a sensor should be enough.
I'm trying to test the display lag with a 1920x1440 source.

I've reached out to @chriz2600 to see if it's possible to overclock it's FPGA, but according to the documentation, 1920x1200 is the highest it supports.

How can I lag test with the DE10-Nano and a sensor like you mentioned?
rthorntn

Post by rthorntn »

marqs wrote:you could try entering remote binding function by holding PCB KEY0 (near GPIO1 connector) during power-on.
Also, are you sure the remote is on OSSC mode (press 'TV')
Thanks.

It wasn't a problem with the mode, it works fine on my OSSC.

It was a remote binding issue, completing a binding fixed it, I'm thinking that this is a cheap "clone" remote.

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/ ... -ir-codes/

Although, I just started putting in garbage remote codes when I couldn't figure out the key, this started at "scanline_alignm", what button is that as I want to redo the binding with the correct "later" mappings, a google on "OSSC scanline alignm" brings up nothing, is there a list of the mapping names and which button they correspond to?

Update: I found a 2nd OSSC remote in the cupboard. Question, is there an easy way to go back to the default OSSC remote codes on the de10, I'm guessing reimaging the SD will work but anything easier?

Thanks again.
marqs

Post by marqs »

rthorntn wrote:Although, I just started putting in garbage remote codes when I couldn't figure out the key, this started at "scanline_alignm", what button is that as I want to redo the binding with the correct "later" mappings, a google on "OSSC scanline alignm" brings up nothing, is there a list of the mapping names and which button they correspond to?
At the moment documentation for many special keys is lacking. "scanline_alignm" corresponds to scanline alignment option in the menu which is explained in wiki.
rthorntn wrote:Update: I found a 2nd OSSC remote in the cupboard. Question, is there an easy way to go back to the default OSSC remote codes on the de10, I'm guessing reimaging the SD will work but anything easier?
You can either delete settings.bin from the SD card, or enter remote binding setup function and then press PCB KEY1 which should open a prompt to load default mappings.
marqs

Post by marqs »

sofakng wrote:I've reached out to @chriz2600 to see if it's possible to overclock it's FPGA, but according to the documentation, 1920x1200 is the highest it supports.
In reality it'd likely work beyond that official limit, but without any guarantees on stability. The HDMI transmitter in DE10-Nano is similarly 'limited' to 165MHz (1920x1200@60), but in many case it's possible get 240MHz (2560x1440@60RB) to run just fine.
sofakng wrote:How can I lag test with the DE10-Nano and a sensor like you mentioned?
You'd need to connect a suitable sensor to one of the free GPIOs and port lag tester functionality from OSSC or create your own.
rthorntn

Post by rthorntn »

Thanks!

I can't see any rotation options, I was looking forward to that for my arcade boards?
marqs wrote:
rthorntn wrote:Although, I just started putting in garbage remote codes when I couldn't figure out the key, this started at "scanline_alignm", what button is that as I want to redo the binding with the correct "later" mappings, a google on "OSSC scanline alignm" brings up nothing, is there a list of the mapping names and which button they correspond to?
At the moment documentation for many special keys is lacking. "scanline_alignm" corresponds to scanline alignment option in the menu which is explained in wiki.
rthorntn wrote:Update: I found a 2nd OSSC remote in the cupboard. Question, is there an easy way to go back to the default OSSC remote codes on the de10, I'm guessing reimaging the SD will work but anything easier?
You can either delete settings.bin from the SD card, or enter remote binding setup function and then press PCB KEY1 which should open a prompt to load default mappings.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

marqs wrote:You'd need to connect a suitable sensor to one of the free GPIOs and port lag tester functionality from OSSC or create your own.
Oh, I don't have enough knowledge to do that but maybe you can add it as a feature request or someday if the OSSC Pro is released?

Thanks for the information though!
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Marqs, will the line drop function make it's way over to original OSSC?

Edit: I also am experiencing a weird issue with dexx. It’s the only HDMI Device I own that won’t play nice with my connection chain to my Sony KV-HR36M31, a HD CRT that has inputs for RGBHV and component, but no HDMI input.

Connection chain: DE10 Hdmi out > vention HDMI to VGA > five breakout cable > RGBHV inputs on the TV.

Expected outcome: TV displays the video and reproduces the audio coming from dexx, just like other HDMI devices
Actual: nothing is displayed on the TV and no sound is heard.

Troubleshooting (all give same result of no video/audio being output by display)
- try CRT mode
- try DFP mode
- try line multiplier modes
- cycle through all dexx resolution modes

Interesting findings:
- swapping dexx with OSSC 1.5 with firmware 0.90-aud. Works as expected.
- swapping vention HDMI to VGA, with Portta HDMI to comoonenet. Works as expected.

The findings point to either a) the vention has a weird dac (AG6200-MCQ - I thinks it’s a ‘Q’, the font is very difficult to read even under 10x magnification due what looks like a poor quality printing job), b) the breakout cable is weird in some way or c) there is something missing from the dexx/de10 nano signal.

If more info about the TV (it uses the AX-1 chassis) or other devices can help, let me know and I’ll find the relevant info.
marqs

Post by marqs »

bonzo.bits wrote:Marqs, will the line drop function make it's way over to original OSSC?
It's not planned as original OSSC could only do that in very limited way, basically just 480p->480i.
bonzo.bits wrote:Edit: I also am experiencing a weird issue with dexx. It’s the only HDMI Device I own that won’t play nice with my connection chain to my Sony KV-HR36M31, a HD CRT that has inputs for RGBHV and component, but no HDMI input.
Sounds like the HDMI frontend chip doesn't like the incoming signal for some reason. Perhaps worth checking if DVI mode would work.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

marqs wrote:
bonzo.bits wrote:Sounds like the HDMI frontend chip doesn't like the incoming signal for some reason. Perhaps worth checking if DVI mode would work.
Will do. My TV just decided yesterday to stop working so will be a while until I can test. My DIY OSSC started playing up a few days ago too so I can’t test with that either. When it rains it pours…
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

donluca wrote:Now, something I feel is really missing is a good, low lag digitizer so that instead of messing around with scalers, extra monitors and what not, I can just use my PC/Mac to play old RGBs consoles (and maybe even stream them).

I'll be following this thread closely.
I’m using capture to play retro consoles on PC with RetroArch and ReShade shaders, so this device would be an instant buy. Ideally, it’d have support for component and 480p (or better, for 360 and PS3). The software side on PC would need a lot of work, but we have to start somewhere. :)

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71325
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Any more updates on the firmware planned?
rthorntn

Post by rthorntn »

+1
sofakng wrote:Any more updates on the firmware planned?
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Also, can I use the 20x2 LCD (NHD-0220CW) or do I need to use the 16x2 (NHD-0216CW) ?

Has anybody designed any 3D printable cases for the DExx + DE10-Nano?
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

sofakng wrote:Also, can I use the 20x2 LCD (NHD-0220CW) or do I need to use the 16x2 (NHD-0216CW) ?
Yes, I used the "NHD-0220CW-AB3". Edit: I almost forgot that I did need to obscure the IR receiver on the DExx PCB since the wider LCD's footprint overhangs that side of the board when mounted the only way I figured I could use it; there were no problems using the remote. I may have also reversed or bent the LCD's header pin angle, but I think that would be as obvious a decision for any assembler in my "I need to use what I bought" predicament, as it was for me.

Edit 2023-07-12:Sorry this is so much later, but collectively these pictures should be worth four-thousand words:
https://imgur.com/gallery/vK3hGRR
Has anybody designed any 3D printable cases for the DExx + DE10-Nano?
Sorry, I didn't look for one, although it would be nice to limit my room's major dust collection. ;)
rthorntn

Post by rthorntn »

I see there was a GitHub commit yesterday, any new features in there, I'm not enough of a coder to work out what changed?
marqs

Post by marqs »

sofakng wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:34 amAny more updates on the firmware planned?
Sorry for late update. For some reason I haven't received notifications from this topic. Firmware updates from OSSC Pro are merged to DExx from time to time and changelog is posted on wiki and VGP forums. Reverse LPF and Hybrid scanlines were added in v0.67. Next update will include loadable Shadow masks (Mister format) and HDR flag toggle.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

marqs wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:40 pm
bonzo.bits wrote:Marqs, will the line drop function make it's way over to original OSSC?
It's not planned as original OSSC could only do that in very limited way, basically just 480p->480i.
bonzo.bits wrote:Edit: I also am experiencing a weird issue with dexx. It’s the only HDMI Device I own that won’t play nice with my connection chain to my Sony KV-HR36M31, a HD CRT that has inputs for RGBHV and component, but no HDMI input.
Sounds like the HDMI frontend chip doesn't like the incoming signal for some reason. Perhaps worth checking if DVI mode would work.
TV has been repaired, and now the dexx is displaying an image on the TV as expected. I haven't investigated whether these two events may be related, the TV repair was just replacing a couple ICs on the d board, something to do with shitty engineering of the power regulation on late-era Sony CRTs. Anyway, working as expected now so maybe just a weird issue in the TV.

ETA: found the source of the problem. My HDMI to VGA adapter can't connect to the De-10's HDMI socket properly. Problem goes away when an adapter is added between the HDMI2VGA and the de10.

Btw, line-tripled 240p on a HD CRT looks amazing. Add some scanlines via the dexx and it's as authentic of a HD retro experience as you can get imo.

Also, if there is some testing I can help with, let me know. Have the HD CRT and a flat panel available.
Audiophile

Re: DExx-vd_isl video digitizer add-on for Intel FPGA dev boards

Post by Audiophile »

Can someone recommend a component over scart adapter to use with Dexx?