Where to get custom replacement rechargeable batteries?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Where to get custom replacement rechargeable batteries?

Post by nmalinoski »

Last year, I sourced a PlayStation 3D TV and two pairs of the active 3D glasses (CECH-ZEG1U) compatible with them, because I really wanted to play games and watch movies in 3D, particularly the SimulView feature with Gran Turismo 5.

My problem, however, is that one of the pairs of glasses refused to charge (they're not the type that takes coin cells), and I noticed far too late to return it. Today, I managed to get it disassembled (which is a pain, but doable without breaking anything), and I come to find that the reason it won't charge is that it has an inflated LiFe-like battery, with the following markings: 6S281622 / 22LH 3.2V / 0-259?? (Obscured behind sticky tape) MH29637. I wasn't able to find any information online with that information, and I don't know enough about battery technology to decode these markings.

What I'm wondering at this point is if anyone in the community knows someone or a company or whatever that would be willing to manufacture custom batteries, ostensibly in small batches, for our devices that don't appear to take more-standard batteries like the DualShock 3 and 4.

Something like this could certainly help revive long-dead battery packs for handhelds like the Game Boy, Game Gear, and, more recently, the PSP (Assuming any of those are reasonable to get into).
Last edited by nmalinoski on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Re: Where to get custom replacement rechargeable batteries?

Post by bobrocks95 »

I would have to imagine it's possible but would be prohibitively expensive. Like, 10s of thousands of dollars expensive. Chinese manufacturing and small batches don't mix, they're going to want a very large minimum order as well.

So what kind of plug does the battery use? See if you can get a rough estimate of the size without it being swollen and start looking at some batteries on AliExpress.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:So what kind of plug does the battery use? See if you can get a rough estimate of the size without it being swollen and start looking at some batteries on AliExpress.
No plug; soldered directly to PCB. I was estimating the size to be 2.2cm long, 1.5cm wide, and about 3~4mm thick.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have 2 pair as well and I think my batteries are dead too. I'm not eager to crack them open, but can you add pics of the batteries? It might help people (myself included) source replacements.

FWIW, I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but replacements can be had on EBAY fairly cheap.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I would start searching out places that sell battery packs like RC car/airplane type places. Many of them even have detailed search engines where you can plug in the size of the battery compartment, and the voltage, and they'll show you what they have that'll fit. Order it, solder it, and you should be set.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Here's a photo of the now-bloated battery:
Spoiler
I also found a related post on AVS Forum, and someone replied today with a battery that they have been using to repair these particular 3D glasses: TinyCircuits ASR00011 (TinyCircuits's website, TinyCircuits's eBay, Digi-Key, Mouser). I'm ordering one today, and I'll report back with the results once I've got it installed.
Dochartaigh wrote:I would start searching out places that sell battery packs like RC car/airplane type places. Many of them even have detailed search engines where you can plug in the size of the battery compartment, and the voltage, and they'll show you what they have that'll fit. Order it, solder it, and you should be set.
I tried a few websites advertising LiFe batteries for R/C use, but all of them only had variants of the cylinder-type batteries, which wouldn't fit in this tiny compartment. I didn't find any that let me search by dimensions--do you know of one specifically?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Ha, I have a TinyCircuits and didn't think they might be the same. Hope they are!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:Ha, I have a TinyCircuits and didn't think they might be the same. Hope they are!
They're not; the original battery appears to be a 3.2V LiFePO4, while the TinyCircuits one is a 4.2V~3.0V LiPo. I reached out to TinyCircuits, and they said that we risk damage because their battery is a different type.

In my case, I'm going to try this anyway, since it's pretty much the only option I seem to have right now; and, at least for now, it's not terribly difficult to get more non-working-but-otherwise-fine glasses.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Ha, I have a TinyCircuits and didn't think they might be the same. Hope they are!
They're not; the original battery appears to be a 3.2V LiFePO4, while the TinyCircuits one is a 4.2V~3.0V LiPo. I reached out to TinyCircuits, and they said that we risk damage because their battery is a different type.

In my case, I'm going to try this anyway, since it's pretty much the only option I seem to have right now; and, at least for now, it's not terribly difficult to get more non-working-but-otherwise-fine glasses.
Assuming these TinyCircuits batteries are rechargeable, just made the voltage or put a resistor in line. Then make sure you have at least the current capacity, should work right?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Assuming these TinyCircuits batteries are rechargeable, just made the voltage or put a resistor in line. Then make sure you have at least the current capacity, should work right?
I only just got around to soldering in the TinyCircuits battery, and it powers on and seems to work fine. So far, the only downside is that the battery is slightly too thick for the available space, so that middle part won't fit back together perfectly. (A small price to pay for getting these working again.)

Also, it's disheartening when you revisit something nearly two years later, and all your googling just turns up your own posts. :P
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:Also, it's disheartening when you revisit something nearly two years later, and all your googling just turns up your own posts. :P
Dude, this is seriously the story of my life. SO many things (issues mostly) I post about which I STILL can't find an answer for... then the next time I get back to it months/years later and google again only my own posts come up lol.

I love it even more when I put what I think are simple search terms in quotes (to filter out random shit that doesn't apply) and I break Google and get ZERO results back... (like there's ALWAYS some random results... so what the hell lol). This also happens all the time to me...
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

nmalinoski wrote:

Thanks for links and doing research first. So the 3.2V level would be the "nominal" voltage, just as 3.7V is for the battery you linked with the unnecessary JST SH connector. Right, the 3.7V at full charge would output more than that and 4.2V on a 3.3V circuit is a bad idea. Expected circuit tolerance is 3.0V to 3.6V which the 3.2V battery would not exceed.

Feeding 4.2V to a 3.3V circuit is a bad idea unless you study the circuitry to prove otherwise. Maybe battery feeds a 2.5V or 3.0V linear regulator that would be ideal because then your only concern is added heat. If no regulator, overvolting puts wear and tear on the electrical components and could in time destroy them. Some Chinese flash carts send 5V to 3.3V flash. They technically work but can't last long.

I like idea to put resistor in series on the output to voltage drop. A diode is a more ghetto strat but you wouldn't have to use trial & error to find the resistor value. A resistor's power rating would need to exceed (current^2 * resistance). It's the "power dissipated by a resistor" you can find lots of information online for. Less a point to do this if there is a regulator but does move the extra heat away from the regulator and that's a plus.

Using a different kind of battery isn't a good idea either like TinyCircuits is saying but you must have done the same search I did and found mainstream portable Lithium Iron Phosphate to only come in large 18650 cylinder form. I think a different battery type is the lesser issue here.