Mega SD + Model 3 Genesis questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
teerazzler

Mega SD + Model 3 Genesis questions

Post by teerazzler »

I just got a Mega SD and a triple bypass Genesis 3 modded console. I tried playing Master System games from the Mega SD and it just shows a black screen. I tried using the Mega SD with a model 1 Genesis and every ROM I tried worked with no issues. Does the Genesis model 3 not have Master System hardware or is just not compatible with the Mega SD for Master System games?

Also, with the Mega SD in the model 3 Genesis, it will randomly power off. The console will just be sitting there, no physically moving the console or shaking the Mega SD cart, and it will just shut off. It seems to turn off randomly more frequently if I physically have the console in my hands and shake it around. When I have regular licensed carts in my model 3 Genesis, it works fine and doesn't power off by itself. I am using a model 2 oem power adapter. My guess is that the Mega SD requires more power, is there a specific power supply I need to use?
Ruprit

Re: Mega SD + Model 3 Genesis questions

Post by Ruprit »

teerazzler wrote:I just got a Mega SD and a triple bypass Genesis 3 modded console. I tried playing Master System games from the Mega SD and it just shows a black screen. I tried using the Mega SD with a model 1 Genesis and every ROM I tried worked with no issues. Does the Genesis model 3 not have Master System hardware or is just not compatible with the Mega SD for Master System games?

Also, with the Mega SD in the model 3 Genesis, it will randomly power off. The console will just be sitting there, no physically moving the console or shaking the Mega SD cart, and it will just shut off. It seems to turn off randomly more frequently if I physically have the console in my hands and shake it around. When I have regular licensed carts in my model 3 Genesis, it works fine and doesn't power off by itself. I am using a model 2 oem power adapter. My guess is that the Mega SD requires more power, is there a specific power supply I need to use?
If you have a VA1 Genesis 3 motherboard revision, you can restore SMS support with some fancy soldering work. See here for details.

As for your other issue, that's not something I have encountered. I'm using the MK-2103 (10V .85a) for a Genesis 3 TBPv2 with a Mega SD and never had a problem. Check to see if you're using the MK-1479 (10V .3a) as that's much too weak. If you're after a modern alternative check out Firebrandx's excellent page.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Ruprit wrote:
teerazzler wrote:I just got a Mega SD and a triple bypass Genesis 3 modded console. I tried playing Master System games from the Mega SD and it just shows a black screen. I tried using the Mega SD with a model 1 Genesis and every ROM I tried worked with no issues. Does the Genesis model 3 not have Master System hardware or is just not compatible with the Mega SD for Master System games?

If you have a VA1 Genesis 3 motherboard revision, you can restore SMS support with some fancy soldering work. See here for details.

As for your other issue, that's not something I have encountered. I'm using the MK-2103 (10V .85a) for a Genesis 3 TBPv2 with a Mega SD and never had a problem. Check to see if you're using the MK-1479 (10V .3a) as that's much too weak. If you're after a modern alternative check out Firebrandx's excellent page.
Thank you for the response. Does the triple bypass make it so a mod cannot be done for Master System functionality?
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

teerazzler wrote:
Ruprit wrote:

Thank you for the response. Does the triple bypass make it so a mod cannot be done for Master System functionality?
Late reply, sorry. No, restoring functionality for SMS is a seperate mod. Here's a photo to give you an idea of what the restoration mod looks like.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

[

Late reply, sorry. No, restoring functionality for SMS is a seperate mod. Here's a photo to give you an idea of what the restoration mod looks like.[/quote]

Dang, that’s some nice work! I would have pulled my hair out just trying to figure out where the wires go to the specific pins. The modder I commissioned got the SMS functionality working, thank you for your help!
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Late reply, sorry. No, restoring functionality for SMS is a seperate mod. Here's a photo to give you an idea of what the restoration mod looks like.[/quote]

Dang, that’s some nice work! I would have pulled my hair out just trying to figure out where the wires go to the specific pins. The modder I commissioned got the SMS functionality working, thank you for your help![/quote]
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

That's not my work, that's https://twitter.com/Cruzlink2 who does excellent work all-around.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. The Genesis 3 can be a fantastic solution with a little work. I settled with it as my main unit once I finished comparing modded Genesis revisions.