Framemeister + Avermedia Capture Card Audio issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
teerazzler

Framemeister + Avermedia Capture Card Audio issue

Post by teerazzler »

Hello, I recently got a Framemeister and Avermedia gc553 capture card, and there is no sound when the two are plugged in together. I have no video issues, there is just no audio coming out of my speakers when the two are in combination.

When I plug any inputs into my Framemeister (composite, RGB, HDMI 1&2), and then have HDMI out into the Avermedia gc 553, which then has an HDMI cable going out from the capture card going into my PC, there is no audio output heard on my pc speakers or any audio of any kind shown in the mixer in the Streamlabs OBS program I am using to stream. I have run the Framemeister HDMI out into my flat screen TV playing a Gamecube, and there is video and sound coming out of my TV speakers, so I have isolated that the Framemeister is not broken. I also have plugged my Xbox 360 HDMI directly into my Avermedia card which has an HDMI cable out into my PC, and then there is sound through my pc speakers and through the Streamlabs mixer program, so the Avermedia card is not broken either. When I combine the Avermedia card and Framemeister, that seems to be the issue for audio however.

Is there any settings through the Framemeister or somehow through the Avermedia card that I need to do that I am missing here? The volume is not muted on any setting on the Framemeister that I can tell, or properties within my computer. Is it that this particular capture card is not compatible with the Framemeister, or maybe that it is not compatible with all three in tandem with Streamlabs? I saw that there is a program that is used with Avermedia called Recentral, but I cannot install it because it is Windows 10 only, and I am using Windows 7. I tried installing Windows 10, but I got an error message after 3 tries. It also says all of the software drivers are up to date with the capture card. Aside from getting a new hard drive, returning this Avermedia capture card, or getting a new computer, I dunno what else to do.

Please help, thank you!
teerazzler

Re: Framemeister + Avermedia Capture Card Audio issue

Post by teerazzler »

30 views and no replies? Can no one help me with this question?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Switch the FM between HDMI and DVI mode to see if you get a reaction.

There are small HDMI audio injector/extractor boxes that might help you. Worst case I see is that you split out audio and use a secondary audio input on your system.

Up to a certain version of Recentral it was W7 compatible. Can't be too hard to find this particular version and give it a try, to see if it's software related.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Fudoh wrote:Switch the FM between HDMI and DVI mode to see if you get a reaction.

There are small HDMI audio injector/extractor boxes that might help you. Worst case I see is that you split out audio and use a secondary audio input on your system.

Up to a certain version of Recentral it was W7 compatible. Can't be too hard to find this particular version and give it a try, to see if it's software related.
Thank you for your response.

I tried switching the FM between HDMI and DVI in the settings, no sound. I don’t have a D terminal cable, so I am unable to test that.

What exactly is this small HDMI audio injector/extractor boxes? How do I split the audio coming from the scart cable and have it eventually end up running to my PC to have it be streaming for others to hear?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What exactly is this small HDMI audio injector/extractor boxes? How do I split the audio coming from the scart cable and have it eventually end up running to my PC to have it be streaming for others to hear?
you would be splitting audio from HDMI after the Framemeister.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/283969491261
(links to our local ebay page. I don't know where you're from, but you can certainly fine something like this locally as well).
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

Decided to bring out my Framemeister to try this. My capture card is the GC573 (4k capture card). I do have RECentral installed, and my test is an N64 with s-video out. Indeed, I have the same result. Audio plays perfectly when connected to a TV, but on this capture card, no audio whatsoever. Changing settings in the Framemeister does nothing. RECentral doesn't really have much on the audio side so I can't change anything here. Tried with OBS too, nope.

Then I tried using the passthrough on the capture card and noticed that my monitor (has built in speakers that I don't use) is playing audio just fine still, and the weird part was that suddenly audio was working on the capture side. Once I unplugged the passthrough, it was mute again. So to get audio, you need the passthrough to go somewhere, for whatever reason. Needs to be connected on both ends, like if you're using it. Here's a trick that also worked for me, plug the passthrough into an HDMI in on the Framemeister. For yours though, looks like it's USB and HDMI out, so I dunno if using both there will work as well. I have no clue why it's like that but hey, it works, at least for me.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Agent BSoD wrote:Decided to bring out my Framemeister to try this. My capture card is the GC573 (4k capture card). I do have RECentral installed, and my test is an N64 with s-video out. Indeed, I have the same result. Audio plays perfectly when connected to a TV, but on this capture card, no audio whatsoever. Changing settings in the Framemeister does nothing. RECentral doesn't really have much on the audio side so I can't change anything here. Tried with OBS too, nope.

Then I tried using the passthrough on the capture card and noticed that my monitor (has built in speakers that I don't use) is playing audio just fine still, and the weird part was that suddenly audio was working on the capture side. Once I unplugged the passthrough, it was mute again. So to get audio, you need the passthrough to go somewhere, for whatever reason. Needs to be connected on both ends, like if you're using it. Here's a trick that also worked for me, plug the passthrough into an HDMI in on the Framemeister. For yours though, looks like it's USB and HDMI out, so I dunno if using both there will work as well. I have no clue why it's like that but hey, it works, at least for me.
Thank you so much for the response. I will try this out when I am home in a few days and get back to you with what happens. Thank you so much for both of your help, there is absolutely no information anywhere on the internet for this specific issue.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

teerazzler wrote:
Agent BSoD wrote:Decided to bring out my Framemeister to try this. My capture card is the GC573 (4k capture card). I do have RECentral installed, and my test is an N64 with s-video out. Indeed, I have the same result. Audio plays perfectly when connected to a TV, but on this capture card, no audio whatsoever. Changing settings in the Framemeister does nothing. RECentral doesn't really have much on the audio side so I can't change anything here. Tried with OBS too, nope.

So I tried what you have suggested here, and I am absolutely perplexed by what your steps are.

Simplified breakdown of what my setup is -

Genesis (or insert whatever RGB console) using scart cable that goes into din scart adapter rgb input framemeister, HDMI cable plugged into the hdmi out of framemeister, hdmi cable from hdmi out of framemeister goes to hdmi in of avermedia gc553, usb 3.1 cable goes out of avermedia card into PC.

Still no sound. I have even tried having an hdmi cable going out of the avermedia card into a tv, and I am still not getting any sound transmitted to the OBS.

Please help. I either have to return this capture card soon, or buy another computer. Either of which I do not want to do. Thank you!
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

I don't have a way to test specifically RGB so I don't know if anything changes with it (it shouldn't) so I'm not sure what's going on. Mine is an internal capture card. Setup is pretty much the same. I plug in a console to the Framemeister, Framemeister's HDMI out goes to HDMI in on capture card, and HDMI passthrough on capture card goes to my monitor. The capture card itself sends the video via PCIe instead of USB here. Only other thing I'd double check here is in OBS, check with the Audio Output Mode on the capture card properties in sources and try "Output desktop audio" instead of "Capture audio only", unless you're already doing that.

Maybe also try other USB ports if you have the option to. There can be issues with capture cards that use USB and specific USB ports, and you won't really know until you try them.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Agent BSoD wrote:I don't have a way to test specifically RGB so I don't know if anything changes with it (it shouldn't) so I'm not sure what's going on. Mine is an internal capture card. Setup is pretty much the same. I plug in a console to the Framemeister, Framemeister's HDMI out goes to HDMI in on capture card, and HDMI passthrough on capture card goes to my monitor. The capture card itself sends the video via PCIe instead of USB here. Only other thing I'd double check here is in OBS, check with the Audio Output Mode on the capture card properties in sources and try "Output desktop audio" instead of "Capture audio only", unless you're already doing that.

Maybe also try other USB ports if you have the option to. There can be issues with capture cards that use USB and specific USB ports, and you won't really know until you try them.
I don’t think the type of video signal should matter, whether it’s S Video, RGB or composite. A video signal is still just a signal, except HDMI is digital and the rest is analog. Only analog signals aren’t providing sound when combining the Framemeister with the Avermedia card. I’ve tried every single USB port on my PC, tried every single OSB audio option including the one you recommend, so I am completely at a loss here.

I guess I have stumped the community here? Surprised that no one has an answer based on the crazy technical know hows on other posts here.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There's one question nobody can answer for you right now: is the FM not outputting any audio in your config or is the Avermedia not forwarding any audio despite receiving audio.

It's probably just an EDID problem. If you don't mind spending a little more on this, you can try a proper edid minder after the FM. This would enforce audio output from the FM. And if this still doesn't hep, additionally get the audio breakout adapter I recommended. That's two times $20 well spend.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Fudoh wrote:There's one question nobody can answer for you right now: is the FM not outputting any audio in your config or is the Avermedia not forwarding any audio despite receiving audio.

It's probably just an EDID problem. If you don't mind spending a little more on this, you can try a proper edid minder after the FM. This would enforce audio output from the FM. And if this still doesn't hep, additionally get the audio breakout adapter I recommended. That's two times $20 well spend.
Like I have mentioned before in a previous post on this thread, I have isolated the Framemeister to be working fine when the HDMI out is going into a flatscreen TV. I have sound coming out of the TV.

When I have just a HDMI console going directly into the capture card, OBS picks up the audio, so I have isolated that the capture card works and is compatible with Windows 7, and I do not require Recentral.

The issue is when I combine the Framemeister with the Avermedia gc553 capture card with analog signals.

I am extremely confused by your breakout adapter solution. Unless I am missing something here, If I break the audio out of that adapter you’re suggesting, I obviously cannot plug the red and white audio RCA cables directly into my PC, and even if I could OBS wouldn’t be able to pick up the signal. Also, what does EDID mean? What is an EDID minder?? I am so brutally lost here. Please help.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Simple question, what are your Win7 recording device options? There is a little check box called "listen to this device" that needs to be checked if you want win7 to output what it is recording live.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

SuperDeadite's idea sounds good. Give it a try.
Like I have mentioned before in a previous post on this thread, I have isolated the Framemeister to be working fine when the HDMI out is going into a flatscreen TV. I have sound coming out of the TV.
yes, but on that setup the Framemeister gets your TV's EDID, while this obviously doesn't work through the Avermedia. EDID is a small information file saved on the sink, which can be read by the source to determin which video and sound formats are supported by the sink it's connected to.
Unless I am missing something here, If I break the audio out of that adapter you’re suggesting, I obviously cannot plug the red and white audio RCA cables directly into my PC
why not ? Don't you have a 3.5 mm input for audio somewhere ?
and even if I could OBS wouldn’t be able to pick up the signal.
again, why not ? OBS let's you access any audio input present on your PC.
Also, what does EDID mean? What is an EDID minder?? I am so brutally lost here.
that's a little box which saves your TV's EDID information and reports it back to a connected device like the FM, even if your TV is no longer connected.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

SuperDeadite wrote:Simple question, what are your Win7 recording device options? There is a little check box called "listen to this device" that needs to be checked if you want win7 to output what it is recording live.
Just looked, the listen to this device box is checked. OBS does not detect the Avermedia gc553 as a capture card, my computer thinks it is headphones or a webcam.
Fudoh wrote:SuperDeadite's idea sounds good. Give it a try.
yes, but on that setup the Framemeister gets your TV's EDID, while this obviously doesn't work through the Avermedia. EDID is a small information file saved on the sink, which can be read by the source to determin which video and sound formats are supported by the sink it's connected to.
Unless I am missing something here, If I break the audio out of that adapter you’re suggesting, I obviously cannot plug the red and white audio RCA cables directly into my PC
why not ? Don't you have a 3.5 mm input for audio somewhere ?

Ah, I did not know that was possible to plug RCA into the back of my computer with using an adapter that has RCA to 3.5 mm input. I am going to try my girlfriend's laptop and see if it works on there, and then that would tell me it's my computer that is the problem here. Also I ordered a Elgato HD60 and hopefully that is compatible with my computer over this Avermedia card.
and even if I could OBS wouldn’t be able to pick up the signal.
again, why not ? OBS let's you access any audio input present on your PC.
Also, what does EDID mean? What is an EDID minder?? I am so brutally lost here.
that's a little box which saves your TV's EDID information and reports it back to a connected device like the FM, even if your TV is no longer connected.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

SuperDeadite wrote:Simple question, what are your Win7 recording device options? There is a little check box called "listen to this device" that needs to be checked if you want win7 to output what it is recording live.
Just looked, the listen to this device box is checked. OBS does not detect the Avermedia gc553 as a capture card, my computer thinks it is headphones or a webcam.
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

Well this gets even more amusing. I was still messing with this because I wasn't satisfied with the earlier outcome I got. So that audio extractor device that Fudoh mentioned before seems to be a cure all. You don't even need to use the RCA audio cables. Simply plug in the Framemeister's HDMI out to the input of the device, and another HDMI from it to the capture card. That's it. My Avermedia picked up the audio immediately, both in RECentral and OBS (once I set it to output it like I mentioned earlier). I'm really wondering if the Framemeister is doing something different with the embedded audio stream that these Avermedia cards just happen to dislike, or maybe it is EDID related. Who knows, but this unit seems to be "cleaning" it in some way or another.

For reference anyway, this is the particular one I ordered, same as what Fudoh linked earlier, just a different company marketing the exact same device. Got it for my Switch originally since my entire setup is basically at my PC and the Switch's headphone jack is super noisy and I couldn't stand it. Works flawlessly as it's just a passthrough device, no lag or anything. It still sends the audio stream on the HDMI out regardless if you use the audio jacks or not. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJITK7E/
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

even better! Thanks for confirming :mrgreen:

Those audio extraction boxes usually just send their own "one for all" EDID to the source.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Fudoh wrote:even better! Thanks for confirming :mrgreen:

Those audio extraction boxes usually just send their own "one for all" EDID to the source.
Awesome! Thank you both for the help. I am going to wait for my Elgato HD60 to arrive and see if that works before ordering this HDMI audio pass through, but if I have the same audio issue with the Elgato I will definitely be trying the audio pass through device. Will let you know how it works out, and to post here if anyone else has this issue so they can read how it is fixed. I’m fairly certain this is the only thread on the internet for this very specific issue with using the Framemeister and Avermedia gc553.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

With the Elgato you have to disable v-sync on the FM for an unlocked output. In general I would recommend the Avermedia over the Elgato for retro game captures.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Fudoh wrote:With the Elgato you have to disable v-sync on the FM for an unlocked output. In general I would recommend the Avermedia over the Elgato for retro game captures.
I got the Elgato because I read on forums that the Elgato is pretty much across the board more compatible with the FM. Is disabling V-Sync bad?
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Went ahead and ordered the HDMI audio adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ ... UTF8&psc=1 instead of going the Elgato route. I will be posting what happens when I test it out this Saturday (supposed to arrive then, hopefully it gets here soon)
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

So I got the HDMI to HDMI audio converter, plugged it in, and still no sound. I even tried the RCA to 3.5 and my computer/OBS isn't recognizing any sound input at all. Actually, with the HDMI converter plugged in it's worse now because the video drops out every 3-5 seconds or so and says "no signal". I dunno what I am supposed to do at this point other than to get a new computer or laptop.

Update: The sound is magically working now with HDMI to HDMI plugged in (no RCA), however when there is no game sounds, it sounds like a fluttery static that I can hear on my computer speakers. OBS is picking up the static as well. It's sounds terrible and quite annoying. Also, the video is still dropping out every 3-5 seconds. Is there a sync setting on the Framemeister I need to do or some kind of video setting on my computer or through OBS? I can't find a way to adjust any settings with the Avermedia card itself through any properties or options in my computer either. I looked through the Framemeister menus and there are quite a number of options that I don't know what they do, and I don't want to mess any settings up that I shouldn't be changing.
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

That is really weird. I see none of that happening here. When the audio goes silent, I don't have any loud noise whatsoever like you do. That's actually the whole reason I picked up this unit, to avoid that static sound (which I already mentioned in a previous post). What if you hook this up to your TV again, using the HDMI box? Do you still get the static sound and video dropouts? Trying to narrow down the weak point here.