Arcade Stick
80%
Gamepad
20%

Total votes: 20

solidus

Arcade Stick vs Gamepad (POLL)

Post by solidus »

Hey all! So I originally was playing with a gamepad for quite a while, until I finally got my hands on a Hori Fightstick. It was tough at first, as initially I saw a decrease in my abilities. But I believe over time I have gotten used to it and I am at least as good with it as I am with a d pad on a controller.

So what do all of you use? Any particular reasons why you prefer one over the other? I would love to see the poll results and get some insight into why you prefer one over the other! Also, can you let us know what type of controller or stick you use? Any specific brand joysitck that works better for shmups vs something like a platformer or fighter? Always looking for ways to improve my current setup.

My current setup is:

Hori Fightstick v3 PS3 Version (I dont own a PS3.. I just use it as XInput for emulators or PC games)
XBOne gamepad (specifically for platformers or twin stick shooters) Although I think it would be cool to start using the stick for platformers or any game that I would normally use the D Pad for.
bigbadboaz

Re: Arcade Stick vs Gamepad (POLL)

Post by bigbadboaz »

I don't think it's an either-or and the poll structure may make it tough for people to vote.

I love a Sega D-pad but nothing gives the arcade feel like a quality stick. So, I'll use one or the other depending on mood.

I can't say if I play better on one or the other, either. It's more down to how good I am on the day.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

For arcade games definitely arcade stick, for fighting games in general arcade stick too, for everything else, gamepad.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I've reached a situation where I can't even comfortably play shooters with a d-pad. I'm so used to joysticks, even a d-pad with good diagonals will seriously affect my performance.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I damaged my left hand in an accident so bad that the tip of my thumb is hard and useless. Stick play works great still though.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
solidus

Post by solidus »

emphatic wrote:I damaged my left hand in an accident so bad that the tip of my thumb is hard and useless. Stick play works great still though.
Yikes! Didn't think of that. You really need decent feeling and feedback in the thumb to use a pad correctly. Glad the stick works well for you
azmun

Post by azmun »

Sorry can't vote. Here are my preferences:

shooters, fighters, run n gun - fight/arcade stick
platformers, puzzle - control pad (the official SNES, MD, SS and PS ones are my favorite)
racing games - steering wheel
flight sims - flight sticks
real time strategy - mechanical keyboard
first-person shooters - don't really play those
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12815
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29195
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47777
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48611
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50704

Verdict: Practice is more important than what kind of controller you're using, as long as the controller isn't complete junk.

I use an arcade stick for arcade games and a pad for console games. Console ports of arcade games are played with a stick, of course. With console entries of franchises that are traditionally arcade games it depends.

Cuphead plays well enough on a stick.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

I use a stick for fighters and shmups and pad for everything else.
Playing arcade style games on my stick gives me a feeling like no other.