Will the EVGA "DVI to VGA" adapter convert VGA to DVI-A?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NewSchoolBoxer

Will the EVGA "DVI to VGA" adapter convert VGA to DVI-A?

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I ordered the reputable Datapath Vision RGB E1S to record SNES and PS1 (via PS2) 240p. The capture card accepts H/V Sync, Composite Sync and Sync on Green, so I'm hoping to avoid a Sync Strike or Extron in the chain. Issue is the capture card takes DVI-I input.

Plan is [PVM] -> [BNC to VGA] -> [VGA to DVI] -> [Capture Card]

I already have the 5 BNC to VGA cable (will leave V Sync dangling) and EVGA's "DVI TO VGA" 203-AD-EV01-R1 adapter. Will this adaptor work going instead from VGA to DVI-A (Analog)? Pearstone sells a $4 "VGA to DVI-A" adapter but are VGA and DVI-A not bi-directional? I realize DVI-D (Digital) wouldn't be.
nmalinoski

Re: Will the EVGA "DVI to VGA" adapter convert VGA to DVI-A?

Post by nmalinoski »

If it's a passive DVI<->VGA adapter, it should work fine for getting YPbPr/RGsB/RGBS/RGBHV into the capture card.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Thank you, I knew Shmups Forum would deliver. It's a passive adapter and the capture card supports YUV: 4:2:2 as well.

I have all I need then to record SNES RGBS with its TTL CSYNC. PS2 outside of 480p no doubt uses Composite as Sync but I'll settle for its YPbPr for the time being.
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

Would a BNC to DVI-A cable not be cleaner as it's just one less connector in the chain? https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine%C2%AE-B ... 000MTL0G2/
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Yes, one less connector should be better and is at least more simple. I was just sitting on the DVI to VGA adapter that came bundled with my old graphics card and the* BNC to VGA cable that came with the PVM. I kind of want to get a BNC to DVI-A cable now to see if the signal really does improve.

That's what beats me down about SCART and JP21. BNC <-> DVI and VGA cables are so cheap. Piggybacking on obsolete RGB TV cables for modern retro cables was a mistake. Well, unless your business is making them. Seems genius from their side.