Replacing a Flat CRT tube with a Curved One

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigthumbs2511

Replacing a Flat CRT tube with a Curved One

Post by bigthumbs2511 »

I am determined to replace the tube in my KV-27FV310 with a curved tube. I can not locate any specs which can confirm how to determine a compatible donor tube however. Does anyone know what specifically I need to look for in a curved tube to match the 310? TV Lines? Are all neck boards connected to the tube by the same pin holes?

I’m hoping I can just find another 27” Sony tube and modify my current bezel to fit the curved tube. Either that or transplant the 310 innards to the donor tube casing.
tongshadow

Re: Replacing a Flat CRT tube with a Curved One

Post by tongshadow »

Everything is gonna be completely incompatible, dont even try it. Just compare the schematics of the models and you'll see.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Why do you want to replace a flat tube with a curved one?
bigthumbs2511

Post by bigthumbs2511 »

tongshadow wrote:Everything is gonna be completely incompatible, dont even try it. Just compare the schematics of the models and you'll see.
Would you mind giving an example of a specific incompatibility? I can provide service manuals if needed.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just buy a curved tube TV.

Your idea impossible for you to complete and is a waste of time.
matt

Post by matt »

The FV310 is a highly sought after TV. You will have no problem finding somebody willing to trade a 27" curved screen TV for it.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

bigthumbs2511 wrote:
tongshadow wrote:Everything is gonna be completely incompatible, dont even try it. Just compare the schematics of the models and you'll see.
Would you mind giving an example of a specific incompatibility? I can provide service manuals if needed.
The socket slots are different, the flats have 13 pins while the curved has 12. Then, the connectors of the video board are completely different. The deflection board and FBT of the flat model use a dynamic focus circuit which isnt present in the curved model, so even if you somehow adapted everything else you'd still get a terrible image.

It would be much better bet to get a curved model.
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

bigthumbs2511 wrote: I’m hoping I can just find another 27” Sony tube and modify my current bezel to fit the curved tube. Either that or transplant the 310 innards to the donor tube casing.
Finding a curved Trinitron TV will be easier than trying to find just a tube for one, so why go through the effort of trying to swap the tube (which as others have said, will not work anyway) and instead just replace the entire set?
bigthumbs2511

Post by bigthumbs2511 »

tongshadow wrote:
bigthumbs2511 wrote:
The socket slots are different, the flats have 13 pins while the curved has 12. Then, the connectors of the video board are completely different. The deflection board and FBT of the flat model use a dynamic focus circuit which isnt present in the curved model, so even if you somehow adapted everything else you'd still get a terrible image.

It would be much better bet to get a curved model.
Thank you so much. I have been looking for this technical answer, although not what I’d hoped, for a long time. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the specifics!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

As others have implied: why are you dead set on replacing the actual tube instead of just replacing the entire set? It seems you have some incredibly specific personal reason and I'd be very interested to hear it.

Another vote here, though - just get another set. Any number of quality curved sets are going to be far less sought-after and easier to find than what you already have.