shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:57 am 

I was looking into possible analog-to-analog Composite and S-Video to RGB converters to use Composite and S-video on GBS Control. I was looking at the cxa1621s (aka v7021) which seem to be easily obtainable on eBay. I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to make out the example in the datasheet though. This seems to be a little beyond my skillset, I'm not an engineer or anything but I feel like it could be a fun DIY project. What exactly goes where the BPF, DL, and Trap are here in this image?

Datasheet

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 am 

I’ve been using a Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 for this - there’s also the possibility of using a Koryuu, or a RetroTink on passthrough with a HDMI to YPbPr! Or a Portta HDMI to VGA and, ideally, a sync combiner (RGBS is much less finicky with GBSC). PAL folks could always track down a Sony YR-1000.

If you could throw together a smol simple PCB, though, that would be cool! Very few units out there that do composite/svid to RGB or YPbPr that properly process 240p :( The ones I have mentioned, plus a select few Kramers and Extrons are about the only other (non-scaling) options!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
I’ve been using a Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 for this - there’s also the possibility of using a Koryuu, or a RetroTink on passthrough with a HDMI to YPbPr! Or a Portta HDMI to VGA and, ideally, a sync combiner (RGBS is much less finicky with GBSC). PAL folks could always track down a Sony YR-1000.

If you could throw together a smol simple PCB, though, that would be cool! Very few units out there that do composite/svid to RGB or YPbPr that properly process 240p :( The ones I have mentioned, plus a select few Kramers and Extrons are about the only other (non-scaling) options!

I looked up the Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 that you mentioned, they seem like very pricy options :/. Koryuu and retrotink are probably better options from what I can tell, but I would like to put together a simple PCB that I could use to do this. I'm not sure, but I believe that the v7021 does actually process 240p correctly. It was the IC used in France region NES's to output faux RGB. I may not be an engineer or anything, but I have done projects like this before. I've built an RGB to composite/s-video convertor using the ad725 and online schematics, and I know how to use KiCAD. If I just knew what all the components are in this schematic I feel like I could put together a custom PCB to use with the GBS.

Offline Profile