Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
someitalian123

Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control

Post by someitalian123 »

I was looking into possible analog-to-analog Composite and S-Video to RGB converters to use Composite and S-video on GBS Control. I was looking at the cxa1621s (aka v7021) which seem to be easily obtainable on eBay. I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to make out the example in the datasheet though. This seems to be a little beyond my skillset, I'm not an engineer or anything but I feel like it could be a fun DIY project. What exactly goes where the BPF, DL, and Trap are here in this image?

Datasheet
kitty666cats

Re: Adding Composite and S-Video to GBS Control

Post by kitty666cats »

I’ve been using a Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 for this - there’s also the possibility of using a Koryuu, or a RetroTink on passthrough with a HDMI to YPbPr! Or a Portta HDMI to VGA and, ideally, a sync combiner (RGBS is much less finicky with GBSC). PAL folks could always track down a Sony YR-1000.

If you could throw together a smol simple PCB, though, that would be cool! Very few units out there that do composite/svid to RGB or YPbPr that properly process 240p :( The ones I have mentioned, plus a select few Kramers and Extrons are about the only other (non-scaling) options!
someitalian123

Post by someitalian123 »

kitty666cats wrote:I’ve been using a Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 for this - there’s also the possibility of using a Koryuu, or a RetroTink on passthrough with a HDMI to YPbPr! Or a Portta HDMI to VGA and, ideally, a sync combiner (RGBS is much less finicky with GBSC). PAL folks could always track down a Sony YR-1000.

If you could throw together a smol simple PCB, though, that would be cool! Very few units out there that do composite/svid to RGB or YPbPr that properly process 240p :( The ones I have mentioned, plus a select few Kramers and Extrons are about the only other (non-scaling) options!
I looked up the Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 that you mentioned, they seem like very pricy options :/. Koryuu and retrotink are probably better options from what I can tell, but I would like to put together a simple PCB that I could use to do this. I'm not sure, but I believe that the v7021 does actually process 240p correctly. It was the IC used in France region NES's to output faux RGB. I may not be an engineer or anything, but I have done projects like this before. I've built an RGB to composite/s-video convertor using the ad725 and online schematics, and I know how to use KiCAD. If I just knew what all the components are in this schematic I feel like I could put together a custom PCB to use with the GBS.
kugu

Post by kugu »

someitalian123 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm
kitty666cats wrote:I’ve been using a Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 for this - there’s also the possibility of using a Koryuu, or a RetroTink on passthrough with a HDMI to YPbPr! Or a Portta HDMI to VGA and, ideally, a sync combiner (RGBS is much less finicky with GBSC). PAL folks could always track down a Sony YR-1000.

I looked up the Kramer VM-19N and CYP CMT-7 that you mentioned, they seem like very pricy options :/. Koryuu and retrotink are probably better options from what I can tell, but I would like to put together a simple PCB that I could use to do this. I'm not sure, but I believe that the v7021 does actually process 240p correctly. It was the IC used in France region NES's to output faux RGB. I may not be an engineer or anything, but I have done projects like this before. I've built an RGB to composite/s-video convertor using the ad725 and online schematics, and I know how to use KiCAD. If I just knew what all the components are in this schematic I feel like I could put together a custom PCB to use with the GBS.
How'd it go? Did you give up?

Sorry for necro