RGB horizontal shift control?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Re: RGB horizontal shift control?

Post by kitty666cats »

Fatass wrote:Extron rxi units only accept clean sync RGB but possibly only when the sync voltage falls within TTL-range.
Yeah, I am 99% sure they require TTL levels - the issue you were having with the curling on top of the screen *should* be able to be alleviated by activating the “SERR” dipswitch. Depends on the monitor, but usually does the trick. I’d specifically get that flagging on my old JVC TM-H150CG when I used my old RGB-Pi - as far as I remember, that was the only source that gave me said issue. That SERR switch + forced narrow-band sync (I think the 580xi, specifically, has a dipswitch for this instead of internal jumper… but 580xi requires a separate adapter for H-shift and has no V-shift at all) = the perfect configuration for a Extron interface processing signals from old game consoles.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
Gunstar wrote: I'll try it out on a PVM when I have time too, maybe the sync strike after the shifter is 'conditioning' it?
Could be. I'm using the sync stripper built into the shifter.
Hmm mine doesn't pass through the image unless the sync/power button is on (sound can still be heard), I've seen a few people say there's does. I'm using a 12v 2a PSU.
Fatass wrote:
Regarding extron RGB rxi units with ADSP set to on:

They are indeed awesome pic shifters when fed a straight dsub15 but not so much from converted scart sources. My radeon dinosaur of a pc running groovymame outputting through VGA was ok, but when i hook console scarts to it (via a sync strike) the picture has that annoying curl (same as the aliexpress shifter when hooked to my saturn) on the the top screen.

I took the extron apart, which involved unscrewing the actual VGA connectors on the back and fiddled with the sync polarity jumpers inside but it made the situation worse.

Extron rxi units only accept clean sync RGB but possibly only when the sync voltage falls within TTL-range.

I assumed the Sync Strike did this for me during the scart to dsub conversion but maybe not. One thread discussed this, as someone switched to using an extron DA2 in conjunction with an extron 203 rxi and started seeing no signs of screen curl/flagging. It seems the DA2 converts the <1v sync voltage to around 4v, which would make it TTL so perhaps this is the one thing stopping the extron rxi/rgb from working properly.
This was my experience with the Extron's, I had flagging and turning off(on?) ADSP fixed that but you lost the centering controls. I can't remember if I tried it with the Sync Strike but that's sadly not something I can check since both my Extrons are out of commission.

Btw, Fatass, does your TH shifter pass through the image to your consumer set when the sync stripper is turned off?

I've still not had much time to do some testing with it but I think the jiggle might settle after a while, and switching res or perhaps cutting the signal (restarting a console for example) might unsettle the shifter again. I've experienced periods where the jiggle had stopped but not played anything for more than 20 minutes or so to confirm.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Gunstar wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
This was my experience with the Extron's, I had flagging and turning off(on?) ADSP fixed that but you lost the centering controls.
Am I going senile or isn't it the SERR dipswitch which (per the manual) removes the "Flagging or bending at the top of the video image". With that on you can still use the centering controls.

Since I just incorporated remote centering control of the Extron RGB 203 Rxi (and similar models) into my CRT-C web-based touchscreen control panel I'll do some more testing on which of my ~16 systems can be used with the Extron RGB. I know Sega Genesis gives it issues (have to put through a converter first then it's fine), and I AM running everything through a Crosspoint which outputs TTL sync though...
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Gunstar wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
This was my experience with the Extron's, I had flagging and turning off(on?) ADSP fixed that but you lost the centering controls.
Am I going senile or isn't it the SERR dipswitch which (per the manual) removes the "Flagging or bending at the top of the video image". With that on you can still use the centering controls.

Since I just incorporated remote centering control of the Extron RGB 203 Rxi (and similar models) into my CRT-C web-based touchscreen control panel I'll do some more testing on which of my ~16 systems can be used with the Extron RGB. I know Sega Genesis gives it issues (have to put through a converter first then it's fine), and I AM running everything through a Crosspoint which outputs TTL sync though...
It could be the SERR setting, it's been a long time since I've used it! I just remember centering being disabled when I found the dipswitch that stopped the flagging. Definitely could be an error on my part by not having it set up correctly though.
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

@Gunstar

My AliExpress/th shifter doesn't show an image unless the red sync/pwr button is pressed so I'm surprised it does so for other peeps. This happens no matter if I connect a console scart attached directly to it or through a scart switch box. I use it with a 12v 1.5a psu.

I used to run this setup on my 50/60hz rgb scart consumer tv. I've heard less people with higher end crts (pvms, etc) encountering this jiggle problem.

They would rear their ugly head within minutes to even a half hour into gameplay. Generally, once they begin they tend to come back at random. They also seemed more prevalent on 480i sources than 240p in my experience.

I usually never experience an image that's placed a little high when I turn the v-pos button on, it's at the exact Hight it used to be as though I'd plugged the scart cable directly to the crt itself.

On the extron side, I have tried turning the SERR on but nothing changed. I haven't tried forcing narrow band sync on my unit, though. I'd have to check it against the user manual whether it exists on my model ( 201 RGB rxi).
War on hemorrhoids.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Fatass wrote:They would rear their ugly head within minutes to even a half hour into gameplay. Generally, once they begin they tend to come back at random. They also seemed more prevalent on 480i sources than 240p in my experience..
Maybe I haven't let it run long enough? I only did some testing with mine as I assumed the problem happened immediately.

I don't believe my shifter shows a picture without the power button either, but it's hard to tell since I'm using it as a stripper as well.
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

@Tempest

I think the reason why you get an image without a psu connected to the aliexpress shifter is because you're connecting it to a pvm/bvm. Are you connecting it via the shifter's RCA outs to the pvm's BNC inputs? If so it doesn't need blanking voltages on scart pin 8 which is what the psu supplies to the shifter.

I used to use my shifter with a scart consumer crt which needs blanking voltages to be present.

Also, I've heard pvms to be more tolerant of bad sync so that might have helped with the v-pos jiggle.

FWITW one of my friends who is also into retro games has the same aliexpress shifter connected to a scart consumer tv and does not encounter the jiggle. My tv brand is a TEAC which is cheap while his is a Loewe which is considered to be pretty good. So it might be to do with some brands of crt, pro or consumer, that makes the difference.

It could also just be due to some shifters being better constructed or updated with a certain component that yields better results. Stuff from china can fluctuate wildly in terms of quality.

ATM there are quite a few variables that get in the way of this being a product built with consistency in mind - shipping without a universally approved PSU is one, stable video output across several makes of crt being another and also the type of console scart cables(remember my toro/RGC dreamcast cable doesn't work) being yet another.

feedback with whoever designed the thing would help greatly in producing a better product but my experiences with mass-produced chinese stuff is they tend to forego or limit communication after the sale is done.
War on hemorrhoids.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Fatass wrote:@Tempest

I think the reason why you get an image without a psu connected to the aliexpress shifter is because you're connecting it to a pvm/bvm. Are you connecting it via the shifter's RCA outs to the pvm's BNC inputs?
I'm connecting the shifter's SCART out to the RGB on my PVM.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I was about to post here funnily enough - I have the AliExpress unit too. From what I’ve read, it’s works well enough for pro monitors but for some reason it produces a slightly unstable image on consumer CRTs. It’s definitely unstable on my Sony - basically just very mildly jiggles up & down intermittently with stable moments in between.

Such a shame as it’s the only piece of kit that does both vertical & horizontal adjustment for 240p. It’d be my dream to have a unit like this from a member of the very valued and trusted group of engineers in our scene like Tim, Borti, Citrus3000psi etc. The AliExpress unit looks the part, but I don’t know who designed & made it & I want a rock solid unit if I’m going to plug it into my sub-100 hours 1992 Trinitron.

Despite the Extron initially showing some promise, it looks doubtful you can get 240p in, 240p out while keeping the picture alignment controls. So a dedicated unit would be great. Anyone know who the makes the AliExpress units? Might be worth contacting them to see if there’s anything that be done..
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

hellbelly wrote:There sure is. I believe it’s an adaption of one of Tim Worhingtons projects - http://members.optushome.com.au/eviltim/other/other.htm

I tried to make one myself but failed, I want to return to it one day.

But in the meantime, I picked up one of these -
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSAfzL

Pete
How to connect something like this to my switcher setup? GScartsw/Shinybow

Also it doesn't add lag does it?