Pandora box, anygood?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dmk1198

Pandora box, anygood?

Post by dmk1198 »

Just come across these
Always wanted an arcade stick so this seems amazing with 4000 games built in for £155!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Mod edit: Removed list of unlicensed games.
dmk1198

Re: Pandora box, anygood?

Post by dmk1198 »

Manufacturer website
https://pandorastoybox.ca/product/pando ... ames-wifi/

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I bought it from Spanish firm on eBay, they also sell on Amazon for a little bit more
China post to long

Mod edit: Removed link, advertising for device solely for pirated ROMs.

trap15

Post by trap15 »

No, they're terrible. Just play with MAME.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

trap15 wrote:No, they're terrible. Just play with MAME.
This ^

I actually played on this box at a friend's, and it's terrible. You have no access to any options/settings, it defaults 16/9, constant tearing, frameskip and all other bad stuff you can imagine.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

I have one in a cabinet. Its pretty bad. Some games are ok, but its mostly shitty. I don't remember exactly which one I have. I think it says its version 3 or 4 on mine.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Oh wow bit gutted to read this but seems like 2020 models more powerful so for £155 I'm prepared to take the risk
Worse guess scenario I got a nice sanwa lite arcade stick to play mame on my pc lol
I'll let u know x

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

STGAlmond wrote:I have one in a cabinet. Its pretty bad. Some games are ok, but its mostly shitty. I don't remember exactly which one I have. I think it says its version 3 or 4 on mine.
They on version 9 now

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Out of curiousity what arcade console would u guys recommend?
I don't like playing on my pc prefer TV /couch option

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Recommendations are only for people that are prepared to actually do research instead of wasting money on overpriced Chinese trash because they're lazy.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Recommendations are only for people that are prepared to actually do research instead of wasting money on overpriced Chinese trash because they're lazy.
Fuck's sake. Is it any wonder that more people don't get into shmups when this is the sort of attitude they have to contend with from the fandom?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

PS2, preferably chipped, but any region PS2 console, really, is going to give you a lot of arcade-style action, 60 fps & all.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

banjoted wrote:Fuck's sake. Is it any wonder that more people don't get into shmups when this is the sort of attitude they have to contend with from the fandom?
The guy's been here for four months and all he does is mess with libretro and crap like the Pandora because he apparently doesn't want to buy a PS4, set up a frontend, or just deal with having to use a keyboard. He's a lost cause.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

banjoted wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:Recommendations are only for people that are prepared to actually do research instead of wasting money on overpriced Chinese trash because they're lazy.
Fuck's sake. Is it any wonder that more people don't get into shmups when this is the sort of attitude they have to contend with from the fandom?
100% agree. That elitist bullshit and attitude is what turns many people off. I myself love the genre very much, but sometimes avoid coming on here for that very reason. Gaming is my favorite hobby and has been for 35+ years. Talking about it should be fun . Not annoying. Anyway, glad Im not the only one that feels this way.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It's not elitist to steer someone away from low-quality products that are illegal, especially when that someone:

a) doesn't know how to edit a post
b) apparently struggles with punctuation and complete sentences, and
c) thinks it's at all acceptable to vomit a wall of text showing off how many poorly emulated games are on it and then throw a link at us like some kind of spambot.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Thnx for defending/sticking up for me guys
Yes you are a stuck up twat megaplonker jeez
I learning the ropes and enjoying my gaming , I've got a PS4 and PS2 for that matter
But no arcade stick so this sounded fun wow
Didn't realise shmups had elitest douches like that luckily not come across em before
I've got mame running thru my shield and SNES classic certainly not lazy, waiting 4 weeks for Jap dariusburst physical to arrive so far lol ( and set up Jap accounts on PS4 & switch) and got my flipgrip for switch, slowly earning my stripes lol

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Found good blog zerojay.com he also runs a helpful discord group, no one saying these pandoras are perfect but

"Look, if you're an emulation purist, these boxes aren't for you. They will likely drive you crazy with all the flaws and issues. You often might be better off getting a small NUC PC and setting everything up there, however...

...Ignorance is Bliss

If you can see past the above issues and just want something simple to set down on your living room coffee table to let your friends button mash their way through some matches of Street Fighter without thinking too much, these Pandora's Box systems can be a great fit for you. Most games run well and I find myself feeling more nostalgic when playing on one of these than I ever did with playing with frontends on PCs. You don't want to tinker and screw around, you just want something you can turn on quickly, play a few games and turn off just as quickly and that's the perfect scenario here"

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

dmk1198 wrote:Didn't realise shmups had elitest douches like that luckily not come across em before
And I didn't realize ignorant shills for overpriced garbage could last this long on SHMUPS without getting banned, but here we are.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:Didn't realise shmups had elitest douches like that luckily not come across em before
And I didn't realize ignorant shills for overpriced garbage could last this long on SHMUPS without getting banned, but here we are.
Guys guys..

Pandora’s box does suck but so does paying for actual hardware.

Have a taste if you like but realize your sipping on hot garbage.

Mame is not reliable for replicating hardware limitations either.

One of these days I feel like we’ll get it between FPGA or emulation, but that day is not now.
Copyright 1987
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Not sure the sheep s#@gging dinosaur has taste ,just elistist snob

Seems this is his thing being rude to people , trolls I think they're called

Check out any retropie thread for evidence , nasty piece of work taff

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Ordered sanwa stick and buttons so will be getting my hands dirty , be fun

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
So I'm a hired lacky from pandora lol wtf paranoid

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Free delivery lol roll up roll up

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-u ... ra-3587347

daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap and easy way to try out a bunch of games that are difficult or impossible to source otherwise, and you can live with inaccuracies of emulation, then get a Pandora 6 or DX. They support 15KHz 240p and are great for getting kids into retrogaming. Absolutely not for serious retrogaming with emphasis on accuracy. If anything, it helps you figure out what you actually want to spend real money on. For $60, why not?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

daskrabs wrote:You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap and easy way to try out a bunch of games that are difficult or impossible to source otherwise, and you can live with inaccuracies of emulation, then get a Pandora 6 or DX. They support 15KHz 240p and are great for getting kids into retrogaming. Absolutely not for serious retrogaming with emphasis on accuracy. If anything, it helps you figure out what you actually want to spend real money on. For $60, why not?
My thoughts exactly
But spec seems to have improved they quoting 720p now , it can run ridge Racer 2 they claim which my i5 Mac struggles with

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

If you have a Raspberry Pi kickin’ around, RetroPie CRT Edition is pretty good for arcade emulation - it’s heavily catered to load up the best version of MAME, FinalBurn, etc on a game-to-game basis, has auto resolution switching in RetroArch from a giant master list of games, and has a easily accessible Tate mode in the settings.

You just need a VGA666, Pi2SCART, RGB-Pi, RetroTink Ultimate etc etc...

A VGA666 and a Extron RGB interface (for combining RGBHV to RGBS) will run you about $20-25 USD on eBay :)

Obviously this isn’t going to be ~ fLaWleSs omg ~ but it’s pretty damn solid for 15kHz arcade games / 24+31 kHz arcade games forced to 240p
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Sweet thnx if this goes pear shaped I'll look into that
Bought a nuc i5 10th gen recently so guess that might be my best bet
Got £110 on eBay selling import esp EA de switch so cost of pandora almost covered

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Found a FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1988269 ... ?ref=share

cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Apparently Pandora's box last time I checked was just a crappy linux box running final burn alpha. Nowadays I don't even think they come with the ROMs, you have to load them on yourself, so at that point, why not just use a piece of hardware that isn't total dogshit?

If you buy a pandora's box for personal use, you are being ripped off. If you are buying one for commercial use, you are ripping off other people.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

U may well be right after investigating
Although the £200 capcom official arcade stick uses FBA I believe
Any way it's ordered now, curious to see what it's like
Cheers