Does Vita do a perfect PSP emulation? which 1 does PSX best?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kyusha

Does Vita do a perfect PSP emulation? which 1 does PSX best?

Post by Kyusha »

I own a PSP 2000 but it has always giving me freeze in games, can I safely upgrade to PS Vita 1000 and never look back or does Vita do a bad emulation work when playing PSP games? is there any that does a perfect PSX emulation? if not, which one does emulate PSX better? what about aspect ratio, does any have an streched out screen when playing any of the systems? thanks.
Turrican

Re: Does Vita do a perfect PSP emulation? which 1 does PSX b

Post by Turrican »

I doubt It does honestly. When PSN was a thing, I rushed to buy a couple of favorites, stuff like Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Zanac x Zanac. I noticed the hiccups during gameplay, and even worse with FMV sequences in other stuff.

Bottom line I sidelined the action stuff that requires frame precision. PSN downloads are still awesome for lots of other genres: Suikoden I-II, Theme Hospital, Herc's Adventures... There's a lot to enjoy but for pure action stay on real hardware.
X - P - B
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

When I ripped my own Einhander disc I noticed that the boss explosions slowed down the game considerably. Obviously not game-breaking in the least since you just beat a boss, but if that slows down, who knows what other parts in other games slow down? IIRC I don't think it was completely eliminated in the Adrenaline PSP emulator on the Vita either. Plus there's the tiniest bit of input lag playing PS1 games on PSP/Vita.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

For PSP games I've never had an issue, the Vita SoC includes the PSPs CPU so compatibility seems quite good.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Really? My final fantasy tactics war of the lion intro video lags terribly. And yes before you ask, purchased dlc and stored into official Sony memory card.
X - P - B
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Imagine relying on underpowered handhelds for PlayStation emulation in 2020 instead of just getting a PC. You don't need a supercomputer to run Mednafen.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Turrican wrote:Really? My final fantasy tactics war of the lion intro video lags terribly. And yes before you ask, purchased dlc and stored into official Sony memory card.
I've never had this issue on any OG PSPs with FFTWOTL ripped from my own UMD.
Unless you are talking about the original PS1 game. Either way I tried both on my PSP Go (PS1 version from PSN)just now and neither have this issue.
If you mean the video that plays when you start a new game, tried that too. No frame drops or lag. (Just a low framerate FMV)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Imagine relying on underpowered handhelds for PlayStation emulation in 2020 instead of just getting a PC. You don't need a supercomputer to run Mednafen.
Why use a smartphone when your computer is more powerful? Why wear a watch when you can just look at the clock on the wall? Why buy a laptop when desktops are cheaper? Why buy a car when you can take the bus?
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Imagine relying on underpowered handhelds for PlayStation emulation in 2020 instead of just getting a PC. You don't need a supercomputer to run Mednafen.
i own a psx and a quite powerful computer, im just looking for handhelds to play the way they were designed for, outside
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

Turrican wrote:Really? My final fantasy tactics war of the lion intro video lags terribly. And yes before you ask, purchased dlc and stored into official Sony memory card.
doesnt that game run like crap in all console devices?
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

BONKERS wrote:
I've never had this issue on any OG PSPs with FFTWOTL ripped from my own UMD.
Unless you are talking about the original PS1 game. Either way I tried both on my PSP Go (PS1 version from PSN)just now and neither have this issue.
If you mean the video that plays when you start a new game, tried that too. No frame drops or lag. (Just a low framerate FMV)
i assume hes talking about playing it on a vita
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Kyusha wrote:i assume hes talking about playing it on a vita
Exactly. Well, a PSTV to be even more precise.
X - P - B
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Guspaz wrote:Why use a smartphone when your computer is more powerful? Why wear a watch when you can just look at the clock on the wall? Why buy a laptop when desktops are cheaper? Why buy a car when you can take the bus?
I don't own a watch since my basic phone already tells time. Desktops are indeed far cheaper, but there are times when I need to take my work with me, so I also have a laptop. I live in an area with rather inefficient public transportation (though I try to take the bus when I can), but if I were in urban Europe or Asia I know I'd sell my car in a heartbeat. And smartphones are generally low-powered enough that you can keep them on all the time, which is handy for messaging. They are also portable. I have a $50 Android device that I pretty much only use for messaging. Doesn't even have a SIM card.

Now, If I were OP and had to choose between a used PSP and fiddling with emulation of questionable quality on a hacked Vita, I'd choose the used PSP every time.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

WelshMegalodon wrote:If I were OP and had to choose between a used PSP and fiddling with emulation of questionable quality on a hacked Vita, I'd choose the used PSP every time.
I don't think he was talking about hacking in particular. Everything I've reported so far isn't at least: I was talking of legit PSone titles used under PSP/PSN environment versus Vita/PSN environment. I can attest that with heavy games like Chrono Cross or Suikoden II the PSP struggles more than the Vita (Same files purchased from same PSN account and tested on both machines).
X - P - B
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

As with a great deal of emulation, there's a bit of lag. Also, POPS (sony's PS1 emulator) doesn't natively scale to square pixels, it scales to 4:3 so you get a bit of shimmering. There are also some incompatibilities with this version of POPS and while the PSP has the means to run different versions, the vita currently does not. For PSP games, compatibility is essentially flawless.

These are the only meaningful issues with it. FFT War of Lions has notorious slowdown, as do many other games. Think there's some rose tinted goggles that get in the way with these things. Playing PS1 games on Xebra, Beetle, or Mednafen is likely even better, but I don't think they'll solve the issues that many people have with POPS, as they're fundamental to the games.
Listai

Post by Listai »

I prefer the Vita because for PS1 you can remap the buttons to the rear touchpad and get an L2 R2 grip for it https://www.play-asia.com/l2r2-button-g ... /13/709ikh making it an amazing way to play the library - especially if you have a hacked Vita.

My understanding is that the Vita has a MIPS co processor that's able to execute all of the PSP/PS1 code natively and it just emulates the GPU, which is why compatibility is so high.
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

lets upvote this! :)
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Good topic for a conversation since PS1 is so widely supported across Sony consoles. Well, you need custom firmware in general to play your ISOs or eBoots that you didn't buy off PSN. Plenty of guides out there.

No one mentioning the My Life in Gaming 206 video that compares playing PS1 games across every option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk

Summarizing doesn't quite do it justice but they notably highlight PSP-2000/3000/Go over Vita and PSP3 for 480i output to a television that works perfectly with PS1's 240p. Go also lets you use a Dual Shock Controller. Vita advantage is having exactly double the resolution of PS1 games, so they scale better than on PSP, assuming you don't want to output to TV. PS3 is nice for native HDMI output to LCD but obviously you lose out on CRT scanlines and get hit with input lag. Some PS3 emulated PS1 games play sharpest of any option using a disc and it's not clear why.

For my input, I play PS1 on PS2 to use fast disc speed (massively reduced loading times) and I can't go back to PS1. PSTV can be even faster, game depending, and unofficial mednafen and very outdated psxfin emulators can be the fastest of all. Granted, I refuse emulation for my favorite systems and would not use pure emulation PS3 for this reason. I'm not sure if Vita is full emulation or not. PSP runs PS1 code natively on its MIPS CPU and PS2 has same PS1 CPU for compatibility. GPU is emulated.
My understanding is that the Vita has a MIPS co processor that's able to execute all of the PSP/PS1 code natively and it just emulates the GPU, which is why compatibility is so high.
No, PSP has MIPS and Vita has ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor. I doubt it runs PS1 code natively but I can't prove it. Compatibility is high based on what metric? Lower than PS2 compatibility since it wasn't given a limited list of official releases like PSP/Vita/PS3. Here is an attempted list at Vita compatibility: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281 ... e-on-vita/

Notably all Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games are incompatible on Vita (unlike on PS2) and they are among the most popular PS1 games. Maybe there is a workaround. I mean, Vita is probably the best method to play a portable on its own screen. I saw a post that said Vita handles GPU-intensive games better than PSP.

If you own a CRT, I'd go PS2 or PSP 2000+ route. Fat model PS2 notably has HDD option to play ISOs but slim model has slightly better load times. PS2 is indisputably the most accurate emulator, accepts PS1 memory cards, holds PS1 saves on PS2 memory card and obviously plays PS2 games too. Downside is that it's not portable and has compatibility issues using the HDD because it uses the PS1 CPU and forces POPS emulator into action. If you were going to play ISOs and eBoots without owning the discs (not asking) then choose something else.

Also possible to buy a $35 Android system and load PS1 emulators or hack the PlayStation Classic. Again, I refuse these options for being 100% emulation.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote: No, PSP has MIPS and Vita has ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor. I doubt it runs PS1 code natively but I can't prove it. Compatibility is high based on what metric? Lower than PS2 compatibility since it wasn't given a limited list of official releases like PSP/Vita/PS3. Here is an attempted list at Vita compatibility: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281 ... e-on-vita/

Notably all Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games are incompatible on Vita (unlike on PS2) and they are among the most popular PS1 games. Maybe there is a workaround. I mean, Vita is probably the best method to play a portable on its own screen. I saw a post that said Vita handles GPU-intensive games better than PSP.
You've totally misunderstood what that list is telling you. That is a list of games that Sony has deemed worthy of being enabled for download, of their selection of PS1 games for purchase, to the vita. It has literally nothing to do with the compatibility of the vita's PSP sandbox within which PS1 games are played via POPS. This sandbox uses firmware 6.61 and the corresponding version of POPS.

There are very few games which do not work with this version of POPS. The most notable, off the top of my head, is Dragon Quest VII, which has been broken on POPS since around firmware 5.0. POPS compatibility lists are extremely dated but here is one: https://nblog.org/utils/popsloader/Pops ... y-List.htm

To find problem games, look for those which require using early firmwares.
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Good topic for a conversation since PS1 is so widely supported across Sony consoles. Well, you need custom firmware in general to play your ISOs or eBoots that you didn't buy off PSN. Plenty of guides out there.

No one mentioning the My Life in Gaming 206 video that compares playing PS1 games across every option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk

Summarizing doesn't quite do it justice but they notably highlight PSP-2000/3000/Go over Vita and PSP3 for 480i output to a television that works perfectly with PS1's 240p. Go also lets you use a Dual Shock Controller. Vita advantage is having exactly double the resolution of PS1 games, so they scale better than on PSP, assuming you don't want to output to TV. PS3 is nice for native HDMI output to LCD but obviously you lose out on CRT scanlines and get hit with input lag. Some PS3 emulated PS1 games play sharpest of any option using a disc and it's not clear why.

For my input, I play PS1 on PS2 to use fast disc speed (massively reduced loading times) and I can't go back to PS1. PSTV can be even faster, game depending, and unofficial mednafen and very outdated psxfin emulators can be the fastest of all. Granted, I refuse emulation for my favorite systems and would not use pure emulation PS3 for this reason. I'm not sure if Vita is full emulation or not. PSP runs PS1 code natively on its MIPS CPU and PS2 has same PS1 CPU for compatibility. GPU is emulated.
No, PSP has MIPS and Vita has ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor. I doubt it runs PS1 code natively but I can't prove it. Compatibility is high based on what metric? Lower than PS2 compatibility since it wasn't given a limited list of official releases like PSP/Vita/PS3. Here is an attempted list at Vita compatibility: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281 ... e-on-vita/

If you own a CRT, I'd go PS2 or PSP 2000+ route. Fat model PS2 notably has HDD option to play ISOs but slim model has slightly better load times. PS2 is indisputably the most accurate emulator, accepts PS1 memory cards, holds PS1 saves on PS2 memory card and obviously plays PS2 games too. Downside is that it's not portable and has compatibility issues using the HDD because it uses the PS1 CPU and forces POPS emulator into action. If you were going to play ISOs and eBoots without owning the discs (not asking) then choose something else.

Also possible to buy a $35 Android system and load PS1 emulators or hack the PlayStation Classic. Again, I refuse these options for being 100% emulation.
i was mostly interested on playing psx on handheld, i do have psx and ps2 for playing at home, but what about psp games on vita?
Listai

Post by Listai »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote: No, PSP has MIPS and Vita has ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor. I doubt it runs PS1 code natively but I can't prove it. Compatibility is high based on what metric? Lower than PS2 compatibility since it wasn't given a limited list of official releases like PSP/Vita/PS3. Here is an attempted list at Vita compatibility: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281 ... e-on-vita/

Uh it does have a MIPS co-processor. That's how it executes PS1 and PSP code, as the instruction sets are compatible. It's not running on the ARM chip. Also you're conflating availability on the PlayStation store with compatibility with the Vita's backwards compatibility. Like others have said - they aren't the same thing.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:...
Looking at it again, literally everything in this post is bad advice, irrelevant, or wrong. What a mess of a post.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Yeah I see why help threads don't get responses. I don't want to help anymore.
i was mostly interested on playing psx on handheld, i do have psx and ps2 for playing at home, but what about psp games on vita?
The cheapassgamer link starts with a list of PSP games compatible with Vita. I'm not aware of a list that goes deeper than that for loading other PSP titles with custom firmware. Maybe the more common way with PSP ISOs is playing on an unofficial emulator.
Uh it does have a MIPS co-processor. That's how it executes PS1 and PSP code, as the instruction sets are compatible. It's not running on the ARM chip. Also you're conflating availability on the PlayStation store with compatibility with the Vita's backwards compatibility. Like others have said - they aren't the same thing.
Does it or does it simulate the chip? Would be a surprising thing to leave out of a full teardown https://web.archive.org/web/20160304230 ... -teardown/ and version comparison http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

I apologize if I'm wrong here.

To reiterate, issue with PSP/Vita/PS3 compatibility with PS1 is Sony only had to support games they were selling digitally. This is 265 games out of the 1300+ PS1 games that exist. I can find seemingly complete compatibility lists for PS2 and PS3 but not PSP or Vita. PS3 compatibility is the highest but its emulation is a step down. That Vita and PSTV have the worst compatibility for officially supported games suggests worse compatibility for the PS1 library as whole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... h_America)

Of this subset, you can see that there are 17 games Vita won't play, 4 that only PS3 plays and 1 that PSP does not play (but Vita and PS3 will).

Since OP wants to play PSP games too, makes sense to get the Vita. PSP can play certain popular titles that Vita cannot but OP may not be interested in them.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:The cheapassgamer link starts with a list of PSP games compatible with Vita. I'm not aware of a list that goes deeper than that for loading other PSP titles with custom firmware. Maybe the more common way with PSP ISOs is playing on an unofficial emulator.
No, it doesn't. It's a list of PSP games which can be downloaded to the Vita via the PlayStation store. As has already been stated, almost every PS1 game can be played on a Vita using Adrenaline to access the PSP sandbox. This issue is also true of the PSP, and can be solved by installing a CFW (which is exactly what Adrenaline is).
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:To reiterate, issue with PSP/Vita/PS3 compatibility with PS1 is Sony only had to support games they were selling digitally. This is 265 games out of the 1300+ PS1 games that exist. I can find seemingly complete compatibility lists for PS2 and PS3 but not PSP or Vita. PS3 compatibility is the highest but its emulation is a step down. That Vita and PSTV have the worst compatibility for officially supported games suggests worse compatibility for the PS1 library as whole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... h_America)
See above.
Listai

Post by Listai »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote: Does it or does it simulate the chip? Would be a surprising thing to leave out of a full teardown https://web.archive.org/web/20160304230 ... -teardown/ and version comparison http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

I apologize if I'm wrong here.
Take this with a grain of salt but my understanding is that knowledge about it came through homebrew development - the co-processor was a vector for kernel exploits that were used purely in PSP mode. It was thought they could be used as a method to bypass the Vita's security but never got that far. I think it's on the same SOC as the main ARM chip. I've found some write-ups but they're kind of hand in hand with piracy so I'm hesitant to link them here. I think what militates against it being emulation is that the Vita isn't that powerful and it's PSP backwards compatibility (with homebrew) is essentially perfect.
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Since OP wants to play PSP games too, makes sense to get the Vita. PSP can play certain popular titles that Vita cannot but OP may not be interested in them.
Hi, my main question was if I can get rid of my old PSP, it came clear that PSX is a no no on handheld, but what about Vita for playing PSP? can I get a Vita and never look back or not every game works right/doesnt have lag/doesnt look as good..?

To put it into perspective, with a 3DS you no longer need a DS or a GB, runs as good as the OG console.

Thank you.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Kyusha wrote:
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Since OP wants to play PSP games too, makes sense to get the Vita. PSP can play certain popular titles that Vita cannot but OP may not be interested in them.
Hi, my main question was if I can get rid of my old PSP, it came clear that PSX is a no no on handheld, but what about Vita for playing PSP? can I get a Vita and never look back or not every game works right/doesnt have lag/doesnt look as good..?

To put it into perspective, with a 3DS you no longer need a DS or a GB, runs as good as the OG console.

Thank you.
As has been said, PSX emulation on the PSP is extremely good, and the PSP emulation (including the emulation of the PSX, through the PSP's PSX emulator) on the vita is comparably good. Unless you are concerned about compatibility with one of the handful of games that is incompatible (ignore NewSchoolBoxer's list, look for games that aren't compatible with POPS 6.61 or Adrenaline via google), the two are functionally identical. Some prefer the PSP's screen to the vita's, some prefer the PSP due to the smaller size, but otherwise there's very little reason to prefer the PSP to the Vita.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

IIRC PSX on PSP was partially hardware backcompat since they had some overlap in architecture (like both had a MIPS CPU).