HOW DO I UPDATE DVDO VP50?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
L8RSK8R

Re: HOW DO I UPDATE DVDO VP50?

Post by L8RSK8R »

It's been a bit since I replied, but I'm still up for continuing this thread so I can get more information to look back on.
I'm gonna go ahead andanswer a few questions some of you may have.
The reason why I looked into getting a VP50 was I knew it was a good scaling partner for the OSSC and could handle a few of the issues I had with the it.
The issues being Deinterlacing for consoles such as the PS2 or GC, resolution for the odd signals and higher line modes, and to handle other types of signals the OSSC doesn't take.
I personally am fine just playing my consoles off a CRT, this is "mostly" just for maximising quality for recording purposes while keeping things using real hardware and keeping input lag to a minimum. (Not frugal or anything but IDC.)
The VP50 looked like it would hit all the spots I really needed it to without making things get too complex.
I think coming out with exactly what I'm looking to accomplish with all this will help make recommendations a lot easier for everyone trying to help.

Right now it seems like the options are replace the VP50, try and update it, buy a RetroTink, buy a GBS-C for deinterlacing, and waiting for OSSC PRO.
The pro seems nice in theory but it still won't help with older console inputs, and resolution would still be a problem unless I also purchase a new TV.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The pro seems nice in theory but resolution would still be a problem unless I also purchase a new TV.
The Pro will allow you to use standarized output timings, so it will be fully compatible in all output modes (as long as chose the right setting on the Pro). How the deinterlacing fares remains to be seen of course.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Y'know after checking the link I got from RetroRGB, they did mention that I did have to use the latest firmware to that support gaming. Meaning at least trying to update it seems worth a try again. I never did get a good link to the cords I needed for the update; I really don't wanna have to try and buy random stuff when I really don't know what I'm doing.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

L8RSK8R wrote:Y'know after checking the link I got from RetroRGB, they did mention that I did have to use the latest firmware to that support gaming. Meaning at least trying to update it seems worth a try again. I never did get a good link to the cords I needed for the update; I really don't wanna have to try and buy random stuff when I really don't know what I'm doing.
But that's the fun of retro games and mods! Ask @DirkSwizzler about buying way too many switches that may or likely won't work well hahaha.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

It's just that I don't want to waste anymore money and time then I already have. lmao
Guile

Post by Guile »

I'm trying to update a vp50 to 1.09 using TeraTerm but it's not working. I set the baud rate to 57600 on both the vp50 and TeraTerm. I also set the COM port to COM1. I'm using a FTDI usb serial adapter on 2.12.28.0. In the pdf for updating the vp30 it says to set flow control to "Hardware" but I don't see this option only Xon/Xoff, RTS/CTS, DSR/DTR.

I updated an iScan HD+ before using TeraTerm and the same FTDI adapter and I think I used Xon/Xoff as flow control.

When I turn the vp50 on, I get the ABT bootloader message and it says "Please load the .abt file now...". When I send the 1.09 abt file it immediately says Loading...ERR press any button to restart.

Luckily the vp50 still works but I'd like to update it to get rid of the extra 480p lag.
Guile

Post by Guile »

I was able to update to the latest firmware and disable cadence detection to lower lag on progressive sources.

I forgot to check the "Binary" box when sending the firmware file...