HOW DO I UPDATE DVDO VP50?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
L8RSK8R

HOW DO I UPDATE DVDO VP50?

Post by L8RSK8R »

I have had trouble for awhile now trying to get my VP50 to work, I can turn it on and mess with settings, but i've never been able to connect a game to it and have it work.
Just a black screen.
I recently got some some cables to connect it to my laptop to see if giving it an firmware update might help, and found a post here that had files listed, but I have no clue on what the hell I'm even doing.
I am at my wits end with this thing, and would really like to not feel like I wasted tons of money on this thing.
If anyone could help me out or even just recommend a good scaling partner that could help the OSSC with deinterlacing, i'd really appreciate it!
jd213

Re: HOW DO I UPDATE DVDO VP50?

Post by jd213 »

If it's the same as the VP50Pro, you have to use a PC with a parallel port (and I think a straight through type cable). There was a certain type of USB adapter you could use, but dunno if they're still available.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If a DVDO doesn't boot up right out of the box, you should send it back immediately for a refund. Don't let a scammer dump broken old used gear on you.
We apologise for the inconvenience
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

You want to use an USB to DB9 adapter that has the FTDI chip. Thats what I used and it worked perfectly.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Can someone link me to the proper cable on Amazon on something?
I bought a few cords that I thought were the right ones, but it's possible that they aren't correct.
Also, there's that program that you have to use tera term, but I have no idea on how to use it.
I checked one of the guides included in the file and it seem'd super simple but then the Tera term file is also just another big ass file with a bunch of stuff in there and i have no clue on where to start.
To explain the issue a bit more, if I connect the vp50 to the tv it will pop up with the blue screen and menus, but when I connect a console to it and select the input, all I get is a black screen.
I've tried different inputs such as component, composite, and even another hdmi and still nothing different.
I can't really find a good resource for DVDO unlike the OSSC so it makes looking for info so hard.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Have you tried the restore to Factory Default menuitem (in the Configuration menutree)?
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

I have tried a factor reset, unless I'm doing something wrong which I could be, it didn't fix my problem.
Gara

Post by Gara »

I used this adapter to update my dvdo vp50 pro:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030IT780/

Edit: it has been a while, but i believe this was what I referenced when I did the update.

https://www.retrorgb.com/assets/DVDO/Up ... ftware.pdf
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Other than that all i'll need is a USB to USB cord correct?
Also can I get a link to Tera Term?
The one i'm using included from here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58498
Has a few applications in the TT file and none of them seem to be what i've seen from the guides.
Also if this doesn't work, should I try looking into another partner for my OSSC, or just wait for the OSSC pro, which I hear will have the good deinterlacing i'm looking for.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The app I packaged in there works fine. I had a vp50 and updated the firmware using it.

It sounds like you have a malfunctioning unit. If you can't get any kind of output with any input signal, something is wrong. **Firmware updates won't fix busted hardware.**

The first thing to try with a DVDO is a new power supply. That's your first troubleshooting step: power supply. Make sure it matches the correct specs for your unit. Most of the replacements on eBay are a poor match and they don't deliver the proper voltage and resistance. Check the manual to find the required specifications. You may have to look outside of eBay and Amazon to find a suitable power supply.

Looking ahead, you probably should wait on the OSSC Pro to arrive. When the firmware matures, it will probably make DVDOs obsolete for most gaming.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

It's probably likely it's busted, not that i've been able to try everyone's advice yet.
Does anyone know when the ossc pro is supposed to be releasing? Also I forget, but was it gonna expand one what inputs it took? Part of the reason I got the vp50 was also to take S video, cuz I wasn't too keen on having to go the extra step to mod some of my older consoles just yet.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

L8RSK8R wrote:It's probably likely it's busted, not that i've been able to try everyone's advice yet.
Does anyone know when the ossc pro is supposed to be releasing? Also I forget, but was it gonna expand one what inputs it took? Part of the reason I got the vp50 was also to take S video, cuz I wasn't too keen on having to go the extra step to mod some of my older consoles just yet.
The Pro well not have native svideo, check out the retrotink or Koryuu depending on what level of control you want in your device
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

I've heard of the RetroTink, it really only makes the signal like 480p for older 240p consoles yeah?
I could connect it with the OSSC to do a bit more than just line double.
I'd still have to wait on whenever the OSSC PRO to really get the deinterlace i'm looking for, but that's fine.
Though now I'm wondering on how bad the input lag might be...
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

If you need deinterlacing there's always the GBS8200 with GBS Control FW. I believe the non-DIY version GBS-C AIO should be out soon-ish. Or you can find some seller in the GBS8200 thread.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The Gonbes may or may not be a good recommendation. Not everyone likes to tinker about, but that's up to OP.

OP had a few issues getting the firmware onto the DVDO and I understand. Getting the right cable and navigating unfamiliar software can be challenging.

Speaking of the Gonbes, here's a quote from the Gonbes thread:
"Make sure you are soldered to the right pins on the ESP8266 module. You can also use a voltmeter to check continuity between the points make sure its making solid connection. Could possible be a faulty ESP8266 module, have you tried reflashing gbs-control software onto the ESP8266? Make sure your jumper connector on GBS board is shorting the to pins with continuity check on underside of board."

Easy peasy! :) May or may not be right for OP.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Yeah, I really wouldn't rather tinker about.
Why it help with deinterlacing, and be a cheaper investment than going the OSSC pro route, i'd rather try to keep the process as simple as possible by just connecting the PRO and RetroTink 2 together. (Which no one clarified if I was right on it working that way)
This way I could just gift my old OSSC to my friend.
I saw that we might have like a beta version of it coming out this November, but I never did see that from a reputable source.
Gara

Post by Gara »

L8RSK8R wrote:Other than that all i'll need is a USB to USB cord correct?
Also can I get a link to Tera Term?
The one i'm using included from here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58498
Has a few applications in the TT file and none of them seem to be what i've seen from the guides.
Also if this doesn't work, should I try looking into another partner for my OSSC, or just wait for the OSSC pro, which I hear will have the good deinterlacing i'm looking for.
You'll need a usb extension cable. Male to female. The adapter comes with one in the box, but it is short.

Did you buy that vp50 as parts? I'd return it if you're having trouble getting any image at all. The most common problem are the power bricks. A bad one causes all kinds of video issues.

I picked up the vp50 pro and optoma hd3000 as partners for my ossc, but they are a pain in the ass. They are intresting and can be fun to tinker wirh, but I really can't recommend them for practical use. They are just too finicky. I keep them connected, but I don't use them much.

If you're serious about your 480i then use a Framemeister. I added one back to my collection exclusively for 480i. It's so much easier to use and the results are great. It sure has gotten expensive though
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

orange808 wrote:The Gonbes may or may not be a good recommendation. Not everyone likes to tinker about, but that's up to OP.
It can be bought fully assembled too. E.g. https://chipnetics.com/projects/hw/ramagbs8200/
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

So I can use that in conjunction with OSSC to hand the deinterlacing?
So I could could get that for all the newer consoles and get the RetroTink for picking the uplder consoles inputs.
Just would switch off from what I would need at the time.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Harrumph wrote:
orange808 wrote:The Gonbes may or may not be a good recommendation. Not everyone likes to tinker about, but that's up to OP.
It can be bought fully assembled too. E.g. https://chipnetics.com/projects/hw/ramagbs8200/
And, for that price, it's fully tested and there is a manageable (and I mean for normal people) way to update the firmware?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

orange808 wrote:
And, for that price, it's fully tested and there is a manageable (and I mean for normal people) way to update the firmware?
Ask the seller.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Harrumph wrote:
orange808 wrote:
Ask the seller.
You're suggesting an involved project and DIY machine to a person that just wants to play video games with unmodded consoles.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

orange808 wrote: a person that just wants to play video games with unmodded consoles.
Yet he got himself a VP50. If he wants simplicity, he should get a crt.
strayan

Post by strayan »

L8RSK8R wrote:So I can use that in conjunction with OSSC to hand the deinterlacing?
So I could could get that for all the newer consoles and get the RetroTink for picking the uplder consoles inputs.
Just would switch off from what I would need at the time.
I don’t understand why you’d want to use the OSSC or retrotink with a GBS-C. What is your rationale?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Harrumph wrote:
orange808 wrote: a person that just wants to play video games with unmodded consoles.
Yet he got himself a VP50. If he wants simplicity, he should get a crt.
The DVDO VP-50 video processor is a polished consumer product--and a very good one.

If the unit wasn't broken, all OP has to do is plug his consoles in and turn off frame lock. Everything works after that. Simple as that.

It just depends how far down the rabbit hole a person wants to go. If a person doesn't care too much about image quality, a DVDO VP50 could be a standalome solution with about a frame of lag--that accepts just about everything right out of the box.

If a person just wants to play games without hassle, OP had the right idea.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

orange808 wrote: It just depends how far down the rabbit hole a person wants to go. If a person doesn't care too much about image quality, a DVDO VP50 could be a standalome solution with about a frame of lag--that accepts just about everything right out of the box.
There might be problems with some systems when using the non-pro VP50, see the following text on http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
When the processors were released, both would have massive problems with 240p signals from anything but a Playstation 2. When I started to work with ABT (kudos to Dale Adams!) on this problem, the VP50 was already no longer supported. So eventually the problems were fixed on the 50pro (and it's sucessors, the Edge and the iScan Duo), but never really on the VP50. The VP50 eventually got another FW update which change things to the better. On the VP50 you're more likely to run into problems with 240p sources compared to a VP30 or 50Pro units, but it can be handled. Using an unlocked output refreh rates usually fixes the problems and if nothing else helps, a sync stripper for RGB sources might. The rest of the review applies to the 50pro only though! (If you consider a VP50 for any reason and you got questions about what works and what does not, just email me!)
edit: Also see the discussion on RetroRGB, kinda sounds like the VP50 needs to be turned on before anything else to get a picture: https://www.retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html

edit2: This is meant more as a FYI for the original poster than a response to anything specific
Last edited by jd213 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

jd213 wrote: There might be problems with some systems when using the non-pro VP50, see the following text on http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
Yeah. That's a description of the VP50.

I didn't read the thread again, but I probably mentioned turning off the frame lock. (I'm almost certain I did.) A sync stripper wouldn't be needed with unmodded consoles feeding svideo. Should be fine.

Yep. Should be just fine if you're not picky.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

It just depends how far down the rabbit hole a person wants to go. If a person doesn't care too much about image quality, a DVDO VP50 could be a standalome solution with about a frame of lag--that accepts just about everything right out of the box.
The DVDOs have sub frame of lag indeed no other processor I know has this "adaptive" mode, not until OSSC Pro launches anyway.

Updating the firmware on them is a little tricky in fairness. I helped someone over on my forum a few years back you may find the information helpful https://videogameperfection.com/forums/ ... rk/page/3/
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
strayan

Post by strayan »

BuckoA51 wrote:no other processor I know has this "adaptive" mode
What do you mean by ‘adaptive’?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

strayan wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:no other processor I know has this "adaptive" mode
What do you mean by ‘adaptive’?
The DVDO only buffers what it (the DVDO processing algorithm) needs and it optimises the processing time based on the amount of buffering.

Most machines have a "fixed" processing path/time that always takes a specified amount of time for progressive inputs.

It is common for most video processors to have an optional deinterlacing step that is dynamically added, but the DVDO goes a step further by using less than a frame of buffering with progressive frame locked signals, because you don't "need" a full frame to accomplish most reasonable transformations if there's no deinterlacing or frame rate conversion involved.