Gcompsw using HD Retrovision cables through a Retrotink2x

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mxpxpxpx

Gcompsw using HD Retrovision cables through a Retrotink2x

Post by mxpxpxpx »

Hello I just got my Gcompsw and am having trouble getting it to work with a few systems. My setup is a Samsung 55" 4k TV and a Onkyo receiver. The Gcompsw output plugs into a Retrotink 2X, and then an HDMI to my Onkyo receiver. I am also using HD Retrovision cables. I can get the SNES, SFC, PS1 and Saturn to work fine with HD Retrovision cables. My Genesis/CD/32X and Japanese Master System only show video using HD Retrovision cables. I have tried it with and without the Retrotink 2X. I thought it might be bad cables, but I have tried them in other consoles like the Saturn and they work fine. I also tried plugging the Retrotink 2X directly into the TV (no receiver) and still only video. I took the Retrotink 2X out of the equation and hooked the Gcompsw directly to the tv (also no receiver) and I now get sound, but a blinking green and black screen. What do you thin my problem is? Is it my TV (which I plan on upgrading to a LG OLED), My receiver, the Retrotink 2X, Gcompsw itself or maybe a componet cable from the output? Please let me know things I can try. I really love the device and hope I can get it fully working.

I did some more troubleshooting and the 2 consoles work by themselves with the gcompsw. I believe it is the Retrotink 2X. I have updated the firmware if the Retrotink 2X, but no luck. Are there known issues with using the Retrotink 2X? Also is there firmware to update on the gcompsw? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Matthew
uberpolka

Re: Gcompsw using HD Retrovision cables through a Retrotink2

Post by uberpolka »

I have previously had similar issues when using my Triple bypassed Genesis through my Denon receiver with a rad2x cable.
Rad2x worked fine on my Saturn, but the genesis did not put out any audio.

Hooked it up directly to the tv and i got audio and video.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

To expand a bit

My Genesis DID work with HD Retrovision cables direct into the Denon Receiver
It did NOT work with the Rad2x going into the Receiver

Also, make sure your cables are plugged in right. Stupid thing to suggest maybe, but for me, being colorblind, the red and green cables are VERY close in color.
mxpxpxpx

Post by mxpxpxpx »

Thanks for the replies, it works directly plugged in, but not when the Retrotink 2X is used. I would like to have all consoles hooked up to the retrotink 2X and gcompsw, but if I have to plug it in directly to the receiver I will. Maybe I can use the retrotink 2X for video to upscale it and split the audio directly into the receiver somehow. Thanks again.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

mxpxpxpx wrote:Thanks for the replies, it works directly plugged in, but not when the Retrotink 2X is used. I would like to have all consoles hooked up to the retrotink 2X and gcompsw, but if I have to plug it in directly to the receiver I will. Maybe I can use the retrotink 2X for video to upscale it and split the audio directly into the receiver somehow. Thanks again.

That's exactly what I would suggest and how I have my consoles setup.
I've got everything going into my gcompsw and split the outputs.

Video is going from gcompsw --> ossc --> Television
Audio is going from gcompsw --> Denon receiver --> Speakers

Not sure on the retrotink's audio quality, but there is a significant improvement in audio output doing it the way I do above. Seriously, if you're able to do that, you'll be much better off with the receiver processing the audio direct from the consoles rather than the video processor trying to do so.

I couldn't find a 100% fleshed out answer from anyone, but it does sound like you're hitting the same problem I was. Since the rad2x is based on the retrotink, it's more than likely the combo issue I stated.
mxpxpxpx

Post by mxpxpxpx »

uberpolka wrote:
mxpxpxpx wrote:Thanks for the replies, it works directly plugged in, but not when the Retrotink 2X is used. I would like to have all consoles hooked up to the retrotink 2X and gcompsw, but if I have to plug it in directly to the receiver I will. Maybe I can use the retrotink 2X for video to upscale it and split the audio directly into the receiver somehow. Thanks again.

That's exactly what I would suggest and how I have my consoles setup.
I've got everything going into my gcompsw and split the outputs.

Video is going from gcompsw --> ossc --> Television
Audio is going from gcompsw --> Denon receiver --> Speakers

Not sure on the retrotink's audio quality, but there is a significant improvement in audio output doing it the way I do above. Seriously, if you're able to do that, you'll be much better off with the receiver processing the audio direct from the consoles rather than the video processor trying to do so.

I couldn't find a 100% fleshed out answer from anyone, but it does sound like you're hitting the same problem I was. Since the rad2x is based on the retrotink, it's more than likely the combo issue I stated.
Thanks for the reply I will try that and see what happens. Yeah, after all the troubleshooting I have done, everything points to the receiver. I am glad there is a work around, hoping it works for me. I hope my receiver can use both hdmi and rca audio at the same time. I get no audio when even if I do not go through the 2X Pro, as soon as I unplug the HDMI from the 2X pro I get audio. Ill try playing with the settings of my receiver. I also emailed Retrotink for any advice. Thanks again.