PS2 Slim fan behavior

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

PS2 Slim fan behavior

Post by ASDR »

How loud / when does your PS2 slim fan spin up and have you been able to do anything to improve it?

I have three 7000 series slimline PS2s. I use them with FMCB/OPL, so no drive noise, only fan. They all have very different fan behavior.

- First one is the one I originally bought myself and treated very well. Was always kept in vertical orientation. Fan is very quiet and never spins up.
- Second is a used but nice looking one I bought recently. Always have it horizontal. It's just as quiet as the first one, but after about an hour of operation the fan becomes suddenly rather noisy. It never spins down again. I can reset the console and let it idle in some menu, no change. Turning it off and on buys another 30-60min of near absolute quiet. Strange.
- Third console looks kinda beat up and the fan kicks into high gear the second it turns on, never goes slower.

I wonder if these are just different fan profiles in different BIOS revisions or maybe different revisions of the fan / heatsink hardware. Maybe a busted temperature sensor, dried up thermal paste etc.

Obviously, I'd like all three consoles to be as quiet as the first one. Has anybody managed to improve their console in this regard? What did you do?

Thanks!