Any opinions on Hydra REVISED SCART switcher?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Any opinions on Hydra REVISED SCART switcher?

Post by ASDR »

I haven't really seen much discussion of the current model. I'm always highly skeptical of automatic switchers since it just seems like endless potential for problems while the manual ones just work with everything since they don't even know what they're passing through.

Some general questions:

- I assume image / audio quality is great and there are no artifacts / changes?
- Do these work well with composite / S-Video? Do they pass RGB blanking through or do they do something stupid like always pulling Pin 16 high signaling RGB? I just want to make sure I can hook up all sources to a consumer CRT through this switch.
- I assume they just pass on Pin 8 as well? If I connect it to a PVM or other csync-only monitor with a sync stripper in the adapter cable that'll still get powered?
- Also regarding Pin 8, stuff like a 360 switching the display to 16:9 will also still work?
- What exactly does 'SYNC ON GREEN mode for scart input 2 (SW7 - SOG SWITCH)' mean? Is there actual RGsB -> RGBS conversion or is there simply active input detection for sync-on-green for input 2?
- 'RGB ONLY / AUTO mode for scart input 8 (SW8 )' - what does that mean?

Boy do I wish I could just buy another 7725 for 15EUR...
ASDR

Re: Any opinions on Hydra REVISED SCART switcher?

Post by ASDR »

Nobody? I figured with gSCARTs being like 300$ after shipping & customs those would be more popular. I can't find any real discussion or proper review of the current model.
Sunray

Post by Sunray »

- Do these work well with composite / S-Video?
I haven't used a Hydra but I know they work with composite and s-video. Official page also states this '8 scart inputs ( RGB, s-video, composite)'.

I currently have a gscart_lite and it is really annoying that it only works with RGB. It forces the RGB pin on always. I also considering switching to Hydra for this reason.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Sunray wrote:
I haven't used a Hydra but I know they work with composite and s-video. Official page also states this '8 scart inputs ( RGB, s-video, composite)'.

I currently have a gscart_lite and it is really annoying that it only works with RGB. It forces the RGB pin on always. I also considering switching to Hydra for this reason.
Yeah, it's dumb stuff like this I worry about. I guess if you're an American and never had an actual SCART TV you might not even think about this as it won't matter for upscalers. The Pin8 stuff as well. It's really handy on the 360 to automatically switch the TV to 16:9 so the console doesn't have to draw black bars and waste resolution. That's why I love dumb mechanical switchers, there's zero worry about damage or compatibility or quirks like that. Sync-on-green? Composite? YPbPr? TTL level? Who cares, of course it works.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote:
Sunray wrote:

Yeah, it's dumb stuff like this I worry about. I guess if you're an American and never had an actual SCART TV you might not even think about this as it won't matter for upscalers. The Pin8 stuff as well. It's really handy on the 360 to automatically switch the TV to 16:9 so the console doesn't have to draw black bars and waste resolution. That's why I love dumb mechanical switchers, there's zero worry about damage or compatibility or quirks like that. Sync-on-green? Composite? YPbPr? TTL level? Who cares, of course it works.
Also why I love my 7735s, they handle anything I throw at it. "Incorrect rgb mods" that don't display on certain other scart switchers work well and good on the 7735.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Yes, it's ridiculous. 'My SCART switch is incompatible with my cable / RGB amp' is really a 2020 problem that didn't need inventing. But now the 7735s are already in the triple digits on eBay (let's not even talk about the 7725) and I have to content with this new world of 'smart' SCART switchers if I don't want to wear out the sockets on my 3:1 Bandridge. That's why I'm looking for some experience reports with the Hydra to make sure it'll actually work with my consoles and displays.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote:Yes, it's ridiculous. 'My SCART switch is incompatible with my cable / RGB amp' is really a 2020 problem that didn't need inventing. But now the 7735s are already in the triple digits on eBay (let's not even talk about the 7725) and I have to content with this new world of 'smart' SCART switchers if I don't want to wear out the sockets on my 3:1 Bandridge. That's why I'm looking for some experience reports with the Hydra to make sure it'll actually work with my consoles and displays.
As you've pointed out, there's a consensus at shmups as to the best and most popular scart switch. I prefer a cheaper alternative, so invite any and all alternatives!
strygo

Post by strygo »

I've had a W-Hydra for a few years now and it has worked great for my setup. I have wanted better representation of the Hydra devices in comparisons since it has been a great device for me, but I think on the whole superg has been more attentive to this community (he frequents this forum) so his products have been favored here.

I ran out of spots on the W-Hydra, so I had been contemplating either getting another one or a gscartw. I opted for a gscartw because it has a specific feature I wanted (RGsB -> RGBS, for PS2).
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

ldeveraux wrote:the best and most popular scart switch. I prefer a cheaper alternative, so invite any and all alternatives!
I'm pretty sure the gSCART costs more than all 6 consoles currently sitting under my CRT... madness.

It's basically this

https://otaku-games.com/6-port-rgb-scar ... using.html

or this

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=124

as viable alternatives, I guess.
strygo wrote:I've had a W-Hydra for a few years now and it has worked great for my setup. I have wanted better representation of the Hydra devices in comparisons since it has been a great device for me, but I think on the whole superg has been more attentive to this community (he frequents this forum) so his products have been favored here.

I ran out of spots on the W-Hydra, so I had been contemplating either getting another one or a gscartw. I opted for a gscartw because it has a specific feature I wanted (RGsB -> RGBS, for PS2).
16 ports not enough, wow, at least I can be sure you gave the thing some testing. Can you comment on composite / S-Video compatibility and how it handles Pin 8 & 16 SCART?

So, the 'REVISED' Hydra does basically this over your revision:

Improved signal detection histerisis / all cables shall work now/
audio buffer for scart audio output to reduce "hearable audio pops"
SYNC ON GREEN mode for scart input 2 (SW7 - SOG SWITCH)
RGB ONLY / AUTO mode for scart input 8 (SW8 )

Did you ever find out what exactly the last two items mean?

I think one reason why the Hydra is not discussed much is because RetroRGB & MLiG etc. are US based, so there isn't as strong a price advantage as for Europeans.
strygo

Post by strygo »

ASDR wrote:16 ports not enough, wow, at least I can be sure you gave the thing some testing. Can you comment on composite / S-Video compatibility and how it handles Pin 8 & 16 SCART?

So, the 'REVISED' Hydra does basically this over your revision:

Improved signal detection histerisis / all cables shall work now/
audio buffer for scart audio output to reduce "hearable audio pops"
SYNC ON GREEN mode for scart input 2 (SW7 - SOG SWITCH)
RGB ONLY / AUTO mode for scart input 8 (SW8 )

Did you ever find out what exactly the last two items mean?

I think one reason why the Hydra is not discussed much is because RetroRGB & MLiG etc. are US based, so there isn't as strong a price advantage as for Europeans.
Yeah, I'm up to 18 or so. :D

I use RGB exclusively in the setup, so I haven't done any testing of composite or s-video. My cables are all from Retro-Access as well.

The audio popping behavior exists in my version as it scans the ports. The newer version also has a manual scanning mode too which might be nice in some circumstances (when you're toggling between a couple of systems for example).

I don't know what the final two options mean.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

strygo wrote:Yeah, I'm up to 18 or so. :D
No duplicates? :shock:
strygo wrote: The audio popping behavior exists in my version as it scans the ports. The newer version also has a manual scanning mode too which might be nice in some circumstances (when you're toggling between a couple of systems for example).
You ever have issues with the auto switching? Like, does it start scanning for active inputs during 240p/480i transitions or during other losses of sync, like when loading up a game from an everdrive and such?
strygo

Post by strygo »

ASDR wrote:
No duplicates? :shock:
- NES
- SNES
- SFC + SGB2
- N64
- GC
- SMS
- Genesis
- Saturn
- Dreamcast
- Game Gear Consolized
- PS1
- PS2
- 3DO
- Neo Geo
- SuperGrafx
- SuperGun
- Xbox (currently component, through a YPbPr->RGB transcoder)
- Wii (soon with a WiiDual, currently component)

There are a couple more that I'd like to add: Virtual Tap, Neo Geo CD, maybe a second SuperGun.

I have a separate setup with HDMI consoles, but with the advent of the *Digital mods, and the fact that the 7th generation of consoles also support analog (PS3, X360), I'd ultimately like to combine them so the ones that support analog could route through these switches and the ones that support HDMI could route through HDMI.
ASDR wrote:You ever have issues with the auto switching? Like, does it start scanning for active inputs during 240p/480i transitions or during other losses of sync, like when loading up a game from an everdrive and such?
No, but when I'm doing testing, I wish it would be able to lock onto a particular system. I'm not sure if the revised manual behavior would address this.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Ok, that list doesn't seem so crazy, it's just mine is a lot shorter because I didn't try to make it all RGB. OGXB, PS2 are component, DC is VGA, NES is still composite. I can see why it would be nice to have it all RGB.

My situation is that I have the switcher situation for my OSSC setup sorted out, but am a bit short for my CRT setup. I already have six consoles and my TV only has the usual 1x SCART RGB, 1x SCART S-Video, 1x Composite input and I just have a single 3:1 Bandridge SCART switcher. Two RGB consoles are not hooked up at the moment. I think I'd like to just connect everything through a Hydra.

From what I understand the 'REVISED' Hydra in manual mode should never switch away. I assume it won't do the RGsB -> RGBs conversion you want and only auto-switches when it detects an sync signal on G.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

I have the 16 ports Hydra2, old revision. It works fine and great image quality.
Just note that:

* It is VERY picky on cables - most RetroGamingCables.co.uk (and the like) have issues because of the resistors in the cable (although some actually work fine)
* It looses sync with certain consoles in combination with certain cables when a resolution change happens in the game (for example from Intro -> Menu -> Game -> FMV). If you have the autoscanning on, it starts it's round of iterating all the ports again, looking for something to lock on until it finds the same console again)

Both points are a pain in the ass.
Point one is fortunately only during setup phase. Point two remains unless you disable the autoscanning.

I have all 16 ports occupied and glad I never have to deal with any other solution.

He claims both points are solved with the new revision. Though I have no experience with it.
Though the 8 port gscartsw still prevails over the Hydra old revision.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
unstablewarpfield

Post by unstablewarpfield »

I have a W-Hydra here. Consoles connected on rgb:

-atari 2600 rgb modded
-intellivision rgb modded
-colecovision (480p over scart)
-philips videopac (rgb modded)
-master system
-megadrive with cd and 32x
-turbografx 16
-apple pippin (480p over scart)
-cd-i
-amiga cd32
-commodore cdtv
-snes
-3do
-atari jaguar
-saturn
-neo geo cd
-neo geo aes
-bandai playdia (rgb modded)

Those are more than 16. I swap connectors when needed. All routed through a Framemeister to a Samsung led tv.

The only problem it ever gave me was the mega drive. And that was before I knew it needs a resistor on the sync line. After I did that... no problems.

I do have to add that I build all my own cables out of high quality individually double shielded video cable.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

waiwainl wrote:I have the 16 ports Hydra2, old revision. It works fine and great image quality.
Just note that:

* It is VERY picky on cables - most RetroGamingCables.co.uk (and the like) have issues because of the resistors in the cable (although some actually work fine)
So you say it doesn't work with correctly build cables? All my cables are of course constructed correctly, I've measured and inspected them all.
waiwainl wrote:I
* It looses sync with certain consoles in combination with certain cables when a resolution change happens in the game (for example from Intro -> Menu -> Game -> FMV). If you have the autoscanning on, it starts it's round of iterating all the ports again, looking for something to lock on until it finds the same console again)
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. If a sync drop happens for any reason it'll scan through every port instead of just waiting for the sync to come back.
waiwainl wrote: Both points are a pain in the ass.
Point one is fortunately only during setup phase. Point two remains unless you disable the autoscanning.

I have all 16 ports occupied and glad I never have to deal with any other solution.

He claims both points are solved with the new revision. Though I have no experience with it.
Though the 8 port gscartsw still prevails over the Hydra old revision.
Wish anybody would do a proper review of the revised Hydra.
unstablewarpfield wrote:I have a W-Hydra here. Consoles connected on rgb:
The only problem it ever gave me was the mega drive. And that was before I knew it needs a resistor on the sync line. After I did that... no problems.
Kinda the opposite of what waiwainl said, wtf. I mean I wouldn't blame the thing if it misbehaved with TTL sync and that wouldn't be an issue for me as I've made sure all my cables are correctly constructed.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

ASDR wrote:
waiwainl wrote:I have the 16 ports Hydra2, old revision. It works fine and great image quality.
Just note that:

So you say it doesn't work with correctly build cables? All my cables are of course constructed correctly, I've measured and inspected them all.
I didn't say that. But in the old Hydra revision it works better with 'clean' cables, no resistors or other stuff inside your cable.
ASDR wrote:
Kinda the opposite of what waiwainl said, wtf. I mean I wouldn't blame the thing if it misbehaved with TTL sync and that wouldn't be an issue for me as I've made sure all my cables are correctly constructed.
Depends, he might not experience it, for example he doesn't have a PS1 or PS2 hooked up, those tend to do this. Certain games with Saturn also. The 'simple' consoles, of which he has the most, do not switch resolution in such a way that the Hydra old revision looses sync.
unstablewarpfield

waiwainl wrote:
ASDR wrote:
Just note that:

I didn't say that. But in the old Hydra revision it works better with 'clean' cables, no resistors or other stuff inside your cable.
ASDR wrote:
Depends, he might not experience it, for example he doesn't have a PS1 or PS2 hooked up, those tend to do this. Certain games with Saturn also. The 'simple' consoles, of which he has the most, do not switch resolution in such a way that the Hydra old revision looses sync.
Tbh I had a PS1 hooked up to my hydra. Custom cable, sync on composite, but with an lm1881 in front of my framemeister. Worked perfectally, but I tend to upgrade to hdmi as soon as there is a new mod out for a console. Partially because I like tinkering, but also to futureproof my consoles and clear another spot in my Hydra.

I do remember the resolution switches on certain games due to how the Framemeister handles that but I never experienced losing sync and my Hydra going into nightrider mode.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

unstablewarpfield wrote: I do remember the resolution switches on certain games due to how the Framemeister handles that but I never experienced losing sync and my Hydra going into nightrider mode.
When did you bought your Hydra? Mine was from May 2019
unstablewarpfield

waiwainl wrote:
unstablewarpfield wrote: I do remember the resolution switches on certain games due to how the Framemeister handles that but I never experienced losing sync and my Hydra going into nightrider mode.
When did you bought your Hydra? Mine was from May 2019
Mine is a first revision unit. Bought in april of 2017. Which kinda makes it not relevant to the topic I guess... oops ;-)
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

waiwainl wrote:
ASDR wrote:
Just note that:

You're just saying again that it works better with incorrectly build cables. These resistors and capacitors need to be in the cables for on-spec and safe signals to come out at the receiving end. They're in the original cables and every single correctly build one. Cables are not 'unclean' if they have a resistor on the sync line for consoles that output TTL sync and if they have capacitors for consoles that omitted them on their side. That's correct, safe and as intended by the manufactures of consoles and TVs.

Anybody here actually hooked up any Hydra to a SCART TV and can confirm that the Pin 8 / Pin 16 behavior is correct? I know it doesn't matter when going through an OSSC / FM, but it would matter for connecting to a normal TV.
Sunray

Post by Sunray »

You can buy a Hydra Revised, review it and return it within 14 days if you are not happy. But I think you have to pay the shipping cost back. I can gladly split the return shipping cost with you if you make a review of it and decide not to keep it.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote:You're just saying again that it works better with incorrectly build cables.
Incorrect or not, the same is true for my Bandridge units. There's only one unit I can name that literally only works with whatever you guys are calling "correctly built" cables and RGB mods.
Last edited by ldeveraux on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Sunray wrote:You can buy a Hydra Revised, review it and return it within 14 days if you are not happy. But I think you have to pay the shipping cost back. I can gladly split the return shipping cost with you if you make a review of it and decide not to keep it.
Generous offer :D Looks like you're want a review of this thing as badly as me. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger, but realistically, what else is there to buy...
ldeveraux wrote:
ASDR wrote:You're just saying again that it works better with incorrectly build cables./quote]

Incorrect or not, the same is true for my Bandridge units. There's only one unit I can name that literally only works with whatever you guys are calling "correctly built" cables and RGB mods.
I can't quite parse out what you're saying. The manual switchers obviously don't care, they don't even know what's going through them. They always work with everything. And any device that dares to call itself a 'SCART switch' better work with cables that actually conform to the SCART specification. I can understand to a degree if a switch is not compatible with consoles that have wonky, off-spec signals, but a switch that actually doesn't work with objectively on-spec cables? WTF.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote: I can't quite parse out what you're saying. The manual switchers obviously don't care, they don't even know what's going through them. They always work with everything. And any device that dares to call itself a 'SCART switch' better work with cables that actually conform to the SCART specification. I can understand to a degree if a switch is not compatible with consoles that have wonky, off-spec signals, but a switch that actually doesn't work with objectively on-spec cables? WTF.
I think I misunderstood what you said then. I had trouble getting my RGB modded TG16/TGCD working with another switch. I have a RA SCART cable that should work well. I bought the other switch and my TG16 wouldn't sync, so no video. Works perfectly on my Bandridge switch. I was told my MOD was wrong whatever that means. I really don't want to bash the other switch at all, just not sure how a "wrong MOD" will work on Bandridge switch, but not others.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

ldeveraux wrote:
ASDR wrote: I can't quite parse out what you're saying. The manual switchers obviously don't care, they don't even know what's going through them. They always work with everything. And any device that dares to call itself a 'SCART switch' better work with cables that actually conform to the SCART specification. I can understand to a degree if a switch is not compatible with consoles that have wonky, off-spec signals, but a switch that actually doesn't work with objectively on-spec cables? WTF.
I think I misunderstood what you said then. I had trouble getting my RGB modded TG16/TGCD working with another switch. I have a RA SCART cable that should work well. I bought the other switch and my TG16 wouldn't sync, so no video. Works perfectly on my Bandridge switch. I was told my MOD was wrong whatever that means. I really don't want to bash the other switch at all, just not sure how a "wrong MOD" will work on Bandridge switch, but not others.
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure how you meant that. I can understand if a switch doesn't work with an incorrect signal, though. For instance the SSDS3 initially had a sync signal so broken that even the OSSC couldn't lock on without some major setting tweaks. So you can clearly screw up a video output mod. Some devices might be more tolerant to out-of-spec signals than others. But what I really don't get are those stories I read here about Hydra switchers not accepting perfectly good cables. That's just stupid. In a perfect world I'd just buy another mechanical / manual switcher as those don't care at all what you're sending over those 21 pins.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: I think I misunderstood what you said then. I had trouble getting my RGB modded TG16/TGCD working with another switch. I have a RA SCART cable that should work well. I bought the other switch and my TG16 wouldn't sync, so no video. Works perfectly on my Bandridge switch. I was told my MOD was wrong whatever that means. I really don't want to bash the other switch at all, just not sure how a "wrong MOD" will work on Bandridge switch, but not others.
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure how you meant that. I can understand if a switch doesn't work with an incorrect signal, though.
I don't pretend to understand the differences in sync types, or honestly the differences in standards (RGBS, RGsB, ...) So maybe it's my fault
strygo

Post by strygo »

I've got an original W-Hydra that I've been happy with (I posted about it earlier in this thread). Since I ran out of space, I recently got a GScartSW, and so far, I've been much happier with the latter switch. The build quality feels similar between the two and the prices are in roughly the same ballpark, but a few features of the GScartSW stand out for me:

1. RGsB to RGBS conversion - this simplifies my setup for PlayStation 2, since when using 480p it outputs RGsB. Being able to feed the output to any device is very nice.
2. Fast switching - the Hydra scans for a new signal with a Knight Rider effect that is neat when you first get the device. However, the GScartSW switches between signals immediately. Once you experience the difference, the delay of the former is annoying.
waali

Post by waali »

I originally had a gscartsw but moved to a Whydra2 in May last year and couldn't be happier.
The revised version has no issues with my cables which are mostly RGC and some custom made items.
I've just recently contacted lotharek as I'm going to need to expand to 24 ports.

Units connected, some are RGB modded:
3DO
SG-1000 II
Master System 2
Megadrive 2
Saturn
Dreamcast
Atari 2600
Atari Jaguar
PC-Engine
NeoGeo MVS
Taito F3
Playstation
Playstation 2
NES
SNES
Nintendo 64

I'll be adding most of the following to the 24port, it depends on which can be RGB modded as I haven't researched them all yet.
Virtual Boy
Philips CDI
Polygame Master
Amiga CD32
Philips CDi
FM Towns Marty (still looking for one of these)
Atmark Pippin
Amstrad GX4000 (still looking for one of these)
Intellivision
TV Game 15

Placement and checking clearances

Cables connected

Unit is in behind the Atari's.
Going to need a bigger cabinet for the 24P :D
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Bumping this to ask if anyone with one of the revised Hydra switches (particularly the Mini, but I assume they all do the same thing here) can fill me in on how the switch handled RGsB signals, particularly through a PS2. My expectation is that it won't auto-select for an RGsB signal, but if I manually select it, there's no issue, right? If anyone's specifically used a PS2 on it, will it auto-select the right input on boot (which should be 15khz RGBS 480i) and then stay on that input once a 480p RGsB game boots? Or will it drop the input and start seeking another?