Looking for Triple Bypass Mod Installers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Looking for Triple Bypass Mod Installers

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding someone to install this in my Genesis. The only site I found was Mobius Strip Tech. I'm waiting on a return e-mail
from them. Sometimes modders don't respond, so I'd like some options.
Can anyone recommend other modders, who will do this particular mod? It seems to be tricky, from what's I've read. I'm in the US.
Sargon

Re: Looking for Triple Bypass Mod Installers

Post by Sargon »

ifixretro@gmail.com did mine. He was easy to work with and I'm happy with the result.

I have used Mobius before too, but my experience was they took a little longer to complete the mods.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sargon wrote:ifixretro@gmail.com did mine. He was easy to work with and I'm happy with the result.

I have used Mobius before too, but my experience was they took a little longer to complete the mods.
Was he careful with the shell? I don't really like getting extra scratches on my systems. I'm kinda anal about it.
Thank you very much for the recommend.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Sargon wrote:ifixretro@gmail.com did mine. He was easy to work with and I'm happy with the result.

Was he careful with the shell? I don't really like getting extra scratches on my systems. I'm kinda anal about it.
I didn't have problems with scratches or anything else.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sargon wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:

I didn't have problems with scratches or anything else.
Thanks again. I'll reach out to him, if I don't hear anything from the other guy.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Did it get rid of your jailbars? I have Voultar's RGB pass installed, and despite a clear picture, I still have light jailbars. Something else could be causing interference, though.
VajSkids Consoles

Post by VajSkids Consoles »

my experience developing my own bypass board

VA4 model 1 (HDG text on top)
2 models - one a slightly different IC (IC1 top R/H side one has a different IC that leg 6 has a resistor on tied to board/ the other one has the IC direct to board but theyre both same model/motherboard revision)

Jailbars don't disappear - lifting subcarrier @ encoder didn't help

Cutting the trace at VDP OR lifting leg = massive improvement but not a complete fix - RGB bypass is still an improvement over CXA1145P, however not a fix.
Adding capacitors of various values to the legs mentioned on RetroRGB site made no difference (@ VDP)

VA0/ VA1 model 2 = no jailbars to begin with
RGB Bypass still an upgrade over stock MB3514

Please note these are PAL MEGADRIVES that i 60hz mod

**I have another model 1 megadrive and model 2 megadrive interstate. No HDG text on that model, still remember better sound than the model 2 (my va0/va1 are awful compared to the VA4 HDG) I haven't touched these in 5 years. I have evidence of zero jailbars on both these models via the shinybow component transcoder, i had them blown up on both a 40inch toshiba and 60 inch Sharp Aquos. Lucky enough to get one for 40AUD delivered (last of stock, they don't really sell). Good luck finding one now - at least that specific model which was phased out.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

VajSkids Consoles wrote:my experience developing my own bypass board

VA4 model 1 (HDG text on top)
2 models - one a slightly different IC (IC1 top R/H side one has a different IC that leg 6 has a resistor on tied to board/ the other one has the IC direct to board but theyre both same model/motherboard revision)

Jailbars don't disappear - lifting subcarrier @ encoder didn't help

Cutting the trace at VDP OR lifting leg = massive improvement but not a complete fix - RGB bypass is still an improvement over CXA1145P, however not a fix.
Interesting, I have a PAL (with region switch and osc swap) VA4 model 1 (HDG text on top) just like this and cutting the subcarrier trace at the VDP didn't do much. The jailbars look slightly different on the pictures I took back then, but no real improvement :/ Never attempted to install any full bypass, I don't really play that console enough.
VajSkids Consoles

Streets of rage was my thing.
For that game at least, half of its value is the killer soundtrack! Some slight vertical jailbars on a smaller TV are OK because the sound is so much less muddy/muffled and restricted. The bass on the model 2's are like farts as oppose to a nice tight doof, the high's are crisp and crystal! I have a mega SG but it still doesn't feel quite right ..or maybe its some sort of weird attachment haha

It would be awful blown up on OSSC
can't wait to get my shinybow from storage to try out with a bunch of consoles including this one!

And for the Author - it might be a good time to learn some mods. You're just tapping the audio onto cap points and these can be swivelled back and forth to break off. It's not an overly complex installation.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

VajSkids Consoles wrote:Streets of rage was my thing.
For that game at least, half of its value is the killer soundtrack! Some slight vertical jailbars on a smaller TV are OK because the sound is so much less muddy/muffled and restricted. The bass on the model 2's are like farts as oppose to a nice tight doof, the high's are crisp and crystal! I have a mega SG but it still doesn't feel quite right ..or maybe its some sort of weird attachment haha

Yeah, agreed. That's why I got this model. It sounds fantastic. I play on an OSSC, if it would really bother me I could just take the MD1 and move it to one of my CRTs where this sort of thing is less visible. I don't really play it much, though. This year pretty much nothing other than a dozen hours or so with Virtua Racing after Krikzz added SVP support to the Mega Everdrive X7.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm wondering if the triple bypass would be much of an improvement over my Voultar RGB bypass modded systems? Also, I have the CCAM mod, and it doesn't sound bad now.
But if it could be even better... you know how that goes. :lol:
I think I'll get my backup system modded with the triple bypass, and compare.

The Voultar Bypass looks quite good, but you still have light jailbars. They are mainly noticeable in grey text boxes, and things like that. I want out of jail. May be impossible.

Mobius said he was backed up until January, due to the XStation. So, I'll probably go with the modder recommended in this thread.
VajSkids Consoles

ASDR wrote:
VajSkids Consoles wrote:Streets of rage was my thing.

Yeah, agreed. That's why I got this model. It sounds fantastic. I play on an OSSC, if it would really bother me I could just take the MD1 and move it to one of my CRTs where this sort of thing is less visible. I don't really play it much, though. This year pretty much nothing other than a dozen hours or so with Virtua Racing after Krikzz added SVP support to the Mega Everdrive X7.

Haha nice!! Believe or not I full got
Into Jennifer Capriati tennis lastnight on the mega SG lol!!

I was so determined to win! Hahahahha

It gets overwhelming when you’re into electronics/ retro
Stuff !!! I dropped a couple grand on my desktop for the new doom only to find it had no HDR support for my bloody card!

I ended up nearly finishing it on brutal difficulty - then found an “optional” graphics driver with zero mentions of HDR support. The game still opened with anti-climatic message “no
HDR support for this card yet bla bla”

Anyway , this driver despite no notes and still the initial warning ....HDR WORKED !! Was I happy? No! I was pissed off! I spent months procrastinating on tech specs and tossing up on an LG or another Asus monitor!! I spent weeks deciding whether I’d go against Nvidia and give AMD another chance (my only faulty graphics card has being a Radeon in between faultless Nvidias) and then this!

The game looked **sooooo much better*** with HDR that I was upset
It was on brutal difficulty and I’d come **SO FAR** without the additional eye candy !’n

I haven’t used my PC for gaming since ! I decided it wasn’t worth finishing doom at all! Got back into
My retro stuff

No
More monthly addictions on MK11 either on console trying to pointlessly rank up with scorpion pulling off the same combos over and over haha

Go
Retro
VajSkids Consoles

Also went to play warzone the other night for a quick half hour or so

Oh 85gb update

Paying for a 50/20 plan and getting maximum 28/8 because it’s FTTN here @1.2km from
The node

Next plan down and you get half that speed again

Yeah, nah,
Yeah. Nah. Yeah . I’m good
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I shipped it off to the recommended modder. When I get it back, I'll give my opinion on the mod.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I got iFixRetro to do the mod. It took about 2 months to get back to me. I would assume that had to do with the X-Station stuff. Having bad crackling sounds coming out of the left speaker. Tried everything.
Different TV, used a different Genesis with the same cables (no crackling), different power supply/cables.
I wrote him, and I'll see what he wants to do. It was an expensive mod, and I waited a long time, so I'm not too thrilled at the moment.
Even just sending it back is annoying, as I just got it in. The shipping ain't cheap.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

invest in a good soldering station and learn to do the work yourself. That's what I did.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

What price did ifixretro charge if you don't mind sharing?
Did you pay for shipping both ways?

What cables are you using? Scart or HD Retrovision?

Any pictures of the install?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

uberpolka wrote:What price did ifixretro charge if you don't mind sharing?
Did you pay for shipping both ways?

What cables are you using? Scart or HD Retrovision?

Any pictures of the install?
It was 80, but ended up being 100 for fixing some cut traces from an earlier mod. Yeah, I did pay shipping both ways. I sent it back to him, today. So, that's 3 times. That's not unusual, though,
as I always have to pay back and forth, for modders. One time a guy didn't make me pay for the return shipping on a mod that I had to send back. I think that's about as good as you can get, on that front.

I was using SCART from Retro Access. But to trouble shoot it, I also hooked it up via composite, to a different TV.

He actually did put some pictures up of the mod on his Twitter. It's very nice and tidy. Something's wrong though, obviously. I hope it's not the chip, as that will be a pain.

https://twitter.com/iFixRetro/status/13 ... 0554338304
ldeveraux wrote:invest in a good soldering station and learn to do the work yourself. That's what I did.
I really don't have the time or motivation. Also, I'm sure I would destroy many systems, learning the ways of the gun.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Hmm.... what mods did you have before that had to be removed?
Edit: I see it was Voultar's rgb bypass. I haven't done one of those before but it looks like it's not as clean of an installation and looks a bit harder to reverse.

I think that's where the problem lies, the repairs done and not the actual triple bypass.

I've done nearly a dozen of the triple bypass installs and haven't encountered what you are hearing, but I've not had to do board repair on them either.

Looking here on the top side of the board, you've got a lot of the circuits for the audio

C19 and R21 have a repaired trace that doesn't look great, but may be the best that could be accomplished given the condition of the board.

I'm sure ifixretro will be able to get you all straightened out, but did want to point out what I was seeing.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

uberpolka wrote:Hmm.... what mods did you have before that had to be removed?
Edit: I see it was Voultar's rgb bypass. I haven't done one of those before but it looks like it's not as clean of an installation and looks a bit harder to reverse.

I think that's where the problem lies, the repairs done and not the actual triple bypass.

I've done nearly a dozen of the triple bypass installs and haven't encountered what you are hearing, but I've not had to do board repair on them either.

Looking here on the top side of the board, you've got a lot of the circuits for the audio

C19 and R21 have a repaired trace that doesn't look great, but may be the best that could be accomplished given the condition of the board.

I'm sure ifixretro will be able to get you all straightened out, but did want to point out what I was seeing.
Thanks for the insight. The audio mod I had was CCAM, and was done a long time ago. The video was indeed Voultar's, and was done semi-recently.
So, it looks like the previous RGB installation was the issue?
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
uberpolka wrote:Hmm.... what mods did you have before that had to be removed?

Thanks for the insight. The audio mod I had was CCAM, and was done a long time ago. The video was indeed Voultar's, and was done semi-recently.
So, it looks like the previous RGB installation was the issue?

Any update on this yet? Really curious.

I doubt the Voultar RGB install would affect the audio output; most likely the ccam and what goes into that installation if anything. You don't need to cut traces for audio on the Triple Bypass.