Xbox 360 SCART RGB Cable?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Xbox 360 SCART RGB Cable?

Post by ASDR »

I replaced my original analog-only 360 with a HDMI Slim long ago, but I just reactivated the old beast because it would be nice to play some Cave shmups on a CRT. The console came with a Component + Composite cable. Was there ever an official Microsoft SCART RGB cable for the 360? Is there a high quality 3rd party one you can recommend?

Thanks!
daskrabs

Re: Xbox 360 SCART RGB Cable?

Post by daskrabs »

Yes, there's an official one. Look around, you should be able to find one outside UK. FYI, 360 SCART only does 480i, not 240p.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Oh, there actually was, neat. They're very hard to get, though, eBay only has the China fakes. These cables are getting seriously expensive.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Make sure to get the original Advanced Scart cable, the knock-off ones are full of noise. The 480i looks great in game, with some flickering while browsing menus.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Yeah, those knock-off cables are always so shit. The problem is some cables are getting crazy expensive when there is no current manufacturer of those. If RGC or thefoo83 doesn't make them sourcing the originals is the only choice.

Right now I'm kinda impressed on how good composite looks on my CRT. This new Sony I got has sooo much better composite handling that my older set.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Back when I had a pre-hdmi xbox 360 and a 720p TV that had HDMI inputs, I bought a knockoff xbox VGA cable. The signal was so bad (blurry/noisy) that I threw it out and went back to the component cables.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Guspaz wrote:Back when I had a pre-hdmi xbox 360 and a 720p TV that had HDMI inputs, I bought a knockoff xbox VGA cable. The signal was so bad (blurry/noisy) that I threw it out and went back to the component cables.
Similar experience when first 'upgrading' my DC from an official SEGA SCART RGB cable to some crappy VGA cable. Actually looked worse, noise & jailbars.
matt

Post by matt »

You can modify an original component cable for RGB pretty easily. All that's needed is to open the console connector, cut one wire, and solder it to ground. This will change the "HDTV" setting on the mode select switch to standard definition RGB. The console will still output composite video on the yellow RCA plug, which is fine for SCART TVs.

At this point you can replace the RCA connectors with a SCART head - the only downside is that there's no wire for blanking voltage so if that's required by your TV you'll have to use an external power source.

Not sure how the situation is in Europe, but over here original Microsoft component cables are plentiful and cheap (last I checked they were $3 at Gamestop).
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

matt wrote:You can modify an original component cable for RGB pretty easily. All that's needed is to open the console connector, cut one wire, and solder it to ground. This will change the "HDTV" setting on the mode select switch to standard definition RGB. The console will still output composite video on the yellow RCA plug, which is fine for SCART TVs.

At this point you can replace the RCA connectors with a SCART head - the only downside is that there's no wire for blanking voltage so if that's required by your TV you'll have to use an external power source.

Not sure how the situation is in Europe, but over here original Microsoft component cables are plentiful and cheap (last I checked they were $3 at Gamestop).
Ah interesting, guess most consoles use the same pins for RGB and YPbPr. I have the original Composite+Component cable that came with the console. I think all my TVs allow manual selection of RGB in case the blanking pin is disconnected, but I need the 5-12V on pin 8 because I have one monitor that only takes csync and has a sync stripper in the adapter. I just messaged a local seller that apparently has a genuine SCART cable for a decent price, if that doesn't work out I'll look into picking up another component cable and converting it to SCART RGB.
matt

Post by matt »

ASDR wrote:Ah interesting, guess most consoles use the same pins for RGB and YPbPr. I have the original Composite+Component cable that came with the console. I think all my TVs allow manual selection of RGB in case the blanking pin is disconnected, but I need the 5-12V on pin 8 because I have one monitor that only takes csync and has a sync stripper in the adapter. I just messaged a local seller that apparently has a genuine SCART cable for a decent price, if that doesn't work out I'll look into picking up another component cable and converting it to SCART RGB.
You can add a sync stripper on the console side - there's enough space inside the housing for an LM1881 and you can power it from the same +5v pin as the TOSlink port.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

matt wrote:You can add a sync stripper on the console side - there's enough space inside the housing for an LM1881 and you can power it from the same +5v pin as the TOSlink port.
Yeah, but then I'd have to do this for every console, like the OGXB where the official SCART cable also outputs sync-on-composite. Would probably be easier to just add a power input to the adapter on the monitor.