Universal Nintendo RGB Scart

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
AaronSR

Universal Nintendo RGB Scart

Post by AaronSR »

Hi, I'm currently looking into getting an "all in one" Nintendo RGB Scart (AV Famicom, SFC Jr., N64 and PAL GCN), I saw this on RGC:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... mecube-pal

However it makes no mention of AV Famicoms. I'm wondering since the former 3 consoles need RGB modding, is it mainly the original SNES/SFC that has a different sync type that makes it offspec and I can use one of these with an RGB modded Jr.?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... CART-CABLE

For the record I don't own anything other than GCN for now, just mainly hoping to save money down the line, thanks.
nmalinoski

Re: Universal Nintendo RGB Scart

Post by nmalinoski »

That cable should work fine on an RGB-modded AV Famicom, so long as composite video or video-level (not TTL) sync is supplied on the corresponding pin on the AV Multi-out.

If you want something that's compatible with everything, including the unmodded AV Famicoms and N64s, but gives you HDMI output rather than RGBS over SCART, grab one of the RAD2X cables instead.

Both the FC/NES and SFC/SNES hardware have that janky sync issue. It's not a different type; it's that a non-visible scanline gets cut short every other frame, and a lot of modern hardware refuses to tolerate it. You'll either need to find a display that will tolerate it, add a video processor that can tolerate it (likely at the expense of an added frame's worth of display lag), or install a dejitter mod.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

I see, I missed this tidbit from the description of the 2nd cable:
Notes for NESRGB and N64RGB RGB modifications - How is this cable wired?:
75 Ohm resistor bridged between pins 9 (sync) and 5 (ground) inside the MultiAV plug.
220uF capacitors in series with each RGB and sync line line inside the SCART plug.
So the cheaper cable should work provided they are RGB modded systems, and I'll be using an OSSC which I would assume would tolerate the scanline thing? As I said I plan to have the three other consoles RGB modded so no composite.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

AaronSR wrote:I see, I missed this tidbit from the description of the 2nd cable:
Notes for NESRGB and N64RGB RGB modifications - How is this cable wired?:
75 Ohm resistor bridged between pins 9 (sync) and 5 (ground) inside the MultiAV plug.
220uF capacitors in series with each RGB and sync line line inside the SCART plug.
So the cheaper cable should work provided they are RGB modded systems, and I'll be using an OSSC which I would assume would tolerate the scanline thing? As I said I plan to have the three other consoles RGB modded so no composite.
The OSSC "tolerates" the janky sync issue with the SNES insofar as it's not phased by it, but it passes it along to the display, so your display still has to deal with it. If your display doesn't like the janky sync, your best bet is either a dejitter mod or an external scaler. The OSSC only has a line buffer, so it can't really do anything to adjust sync cadence like an actual scaler with a framebuffer could.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Alright they got back to me on this, the GCN cable will work on:

NESRGB
PAL SNES
RGB N64
PAL GC

but not NTSC SNES or SFC. But are they referring to unmodded SNES/SFC and not the RGB modded Jr. consoles or are they the same regardless? (last I checked with SNES RGB mods, the THS7374 bypass was the best/most common)
Warning! Do not use a CSYNC SNES NTSC cable on a PAL GameCube or PAL SNES, as these PAL consoles outputs 12 volts on pin 3 rather than CSYNC, which could result in damaging your TV.
Since all these are out of stock I'm in no hurry and hope to get this right.