Anobody Experience Color Banding on the Switch in Dock Mode?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Anobody Experience Color Banding on the Switch in Dock Mode?

Post by Lawfer »

Color banding issues was highlighted by Digital Foundry on their recent Super Mario 3D All-Stars video, as can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5qOYp9ihY&t=14m52s

I haven't played Super Mario 3D All-Stars, but I did notice color banding a few days ago while playing another game on the Switch and was a little suprised as, bear in mind that this is while my Switch is set to "Full" RGB Range, for my PS4 I have set it to "Full" RGB Range as well and Deep Color is set to "Automatic" and I never experienced this on PS4.

This is an example of color banding:

See the left side, that's color banding.

I found out that technically the Switch can output "Deep Color" (10-Bit/1.07 Billion Colors) which would (should) remove color banding/color gradient issues, however there is no (unlike with PS4) option that allows you to enable it on the console, but instead the console decide to enable it or not. See this thread:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/surprisi ... s.1393483/
Galgomite

Re: Anobody Experience Color Banding on the Switch in Dock M

Post by Galgomite »

I see the same color banding on my copy for Switch.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That means you need a 10bit RGB panel to not see the banding. I'm guessing you and the DF guys don't have one of those to test.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:That means you need a 10bit RGB panel to not see the banding. I'm guessing you and the DF guys don't have one of those to test.
I actually do, and it's a True 10-Bit display, and I can confirm that I do see color banding on Switch games, usually during cutscenes where the blue sky is shown. I am using this display with my PS3 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and PS4 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and never experienced this issue on these consoles, only on Switch. The difference is that while this time around the Switch has Full Range RGB in settings (unlike the Wii U) it does not have any settings to enable Deep Color (10-Bit).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lawfer wrote:I actually do, and it's a True 10-Bit display, and I can confirm that I do see color banding on Switch games, usually during cutscenes where the blue sky is shown. I am using this display with my PS3 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and PS4 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and never experienced this issue on these consoles, only on Switch. The difference is that while this time around the Switch has Full Range RGB in settings (unlike the Wii U) it does not have any settings to enable Deep Color (10-Bit).
Oh I see. I was going by what the first post of that neogaf thread says about the Switch outputting a 10bit per channel signal when set to full RGB in docked mode. Maybe this banding issue is on the software side, and most or all games are not actually using the 30bit colors even though the Switch is capable of it.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

fernan1234 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:I actually do, and it's a True 10-Bit display, and I can confirm that I do see color banding on Switch games, usually during cutscenes where the blue sky is shown. I am using this display with my PS3 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and PS4 (Full Range RGB and Deep Color Enabled in settings) and never experienced this issue on these consoles, only on Switch. The difference is that while this time around the Switch has Full Range RGB in settings (unlike the Wii U) it does not have any settings to enable Deep Color (10-Bit).
Oh I see. I was going by what the first post of that neogaf thread says about the Switch outputting a 10bit per channel signal when set to full RGB in docked mode. Maybe this banding issue is on the software side, and most or all games are not actually using the 30bit colors even though the Switch is capable of it.
More than likely the case. Considering the hardware, most render buffers probably used reduced bit depths on Switch, just like on PS3/360/etc
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

BONKERS wrote:More than likely the case. Considering the hardware, most render buffers probably used reduced bit depths on Switch, just like on PS3/360/etc
But PS3 has Deep Color output in the settings?