Best options for ground-up pure MAME install

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vintage.digital

Best options for ground-up pure MAME install

Post by vintage.digital »

I am looking to set up a system to play MAME on CRTs and only to play MAME on CRTs. I've been asking around as to what choices are best, and I get conflicting answers. First I was thinking about CRT_emudriver, and then I'm told to use Linux, because it can output any resolution without a special driver. But, I don't know Linux, so I don't know if that would be exceedingly difficult for me to set up. Or, if I go with the CRT_emudriver route; I believe it can install on Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, but I don't know if there would be better compatibility with any of those options versus the others.

I haven't done a lot of emulation so this is largely new for me, so I'm looking for as much direction as I can get. Is there anywhere in the build that can introduce lag? Maybe from the USB controllers if they're not set up right? Any caveats to look out in the process of setting up this computer solely for the purpose of MAME? Is there anything I should delete or any special settings I should engage in the operating system?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.